Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '01 GMC 2500 what is this box under my dash?

Hey guys,

So, I have been trying to fix an issue with my 4wd which has had me crawling under and in the driver's side dash of the truck. When I 1st went under to see if there was an easier way to take out the TCCM, I found this box dangling down under there. Has a place where it looks like it should be screwed on, but is not. Looking at it closer, I found that it had a little door on it with some kind of jumpers in it and what I was pretty sure is a non-stock ground wire going to the chassis. Looking even further, I find that the large orange and red wires on the thing have been spliced in-line to a fine yellow wire running from the dash side fuse panel to the steering column/wheel with yellow crimp connectors.

The only things not done by me to this truck since new are the replacement of front & rear axle bearings, all brake lines replaced w/ GM kit and a knock sensor was replaced. This is obviously something that was not a factory thing.

Might be coincidence, but since I opened the little door and moved the thing around, I have got an airbag light on now that flashes 7-8 times and then stays on.

What the heck?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	463433  

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 09-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could this be a device that was put in to allow for switching off the PS airbag? I seem to remember that around this time NTSB mandated switches for this in trucks so that if kids were riding in the PS they would not get whacked if it deployed. I was able to get my light to go off by switching the airbag back 'on'. My kids are big enough now to where they will be OK. Guessing I may have disturbed one of the jumpers opening the door or the wires are loose in the crimp connector. Not really willing to tamper with it for fear of setting one off.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 09-16-2017, 09:26 PM

It's an aftermarket starter kill switch made by Magnadyne.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it part of the old lo-jack system added from dealer? Nothing plugged in to the port & can't see where it interfaces with anything other than one wire going to ignition.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon

Last edited by Deadhead; 09-17-2017 at 08:34 AM.