THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:54 AM

Most of the winter in MA is not that cold. I work in my unheated garage all winter no problem. There is always a stretch where it is "cold" but its what you are used to. When I lived in Maine... different story!! The beer stays cold.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MA is a pretty interesting place when it comes to daily life. Taxes are up there, but certainly not the worst. 2nd amendment rights are infringed upon, but not nearly as bad as some other states. There's a huge car scene here, and most shows and races are packed as we only have half the time to enjoy our stuff compared to other areas.

Politics aside, I really enjoy living here. The ocean, food, weather, scenery, and ability to be in 1 of 5 different states in about an hour or less is pretty cool. To me, nothing beats NH, but if that proves to be difficult to swing with the commute, MA isn't so bad.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 04-06-2020, 02:02 PM

I live in SE MI almost a perfect four season state, family as well in the UP, boat, fish, hunt, snowmobile, cars galore. Lived in SoCal when it was nice, no more. family in AZ. Boston, NH, FL. I'd choose AZ in a heartbeat away from Phoenix, I'm just a sucker for the desert scenery and open roads. Of course for me I'd still be going back and forth to the condo on FL's gulf coast.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 04-06-2020, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
One other thing for Arizona,,, No concealed carry permit required!
None required in NH either.

2023 Best ET Slip
60’ 1.224
330 3.186
1/8 4.784
MPH 152.07
1000 6.175
ET 7.347
MPH 189.92
Weight 3650

YouTube Channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC21...rWwgFdfTRqShGQ

FaceBook Group --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/220092308823847/
Old 04-06-2020, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I lived in Arizona for 14 years. But it was in the northwest corner, Kingman. I could live in Arizona again, a lot I like about the southwest. Personally, I would buy land in the 5000'+elevation zone . You get out of the oven low elevation heat. I don't know Tuscon really. But there is Mt Lemon which is tall, so I know there must be varied elevations surrounding it. but Tuscon itself is 2300'.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My colleague moved to Elgin, AZ. Higher elevation than Tuscon. He makes it sound like paradise. Not many days up there north of 100. Views of the Sarita Mountains.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"
Old 04-08-2020, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbnapier View Post
My colleague moved to Elgin, AZ. Higher elevation than Tuscon. He makes it sound like paradise. Not many days up there north of 100. Views of the Sarita Mountains.
Elgin is 4700' and type area I would seek out if moved there. You get into juniper country and antelope, deer, etc. Mountains are greener and heat is way less in that elevation and is different ecosystem environment than desert bottom. But I know people in Yuma that love it also, all good, just not for me.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinshadows View Post
Hello - - - - I live in ARIZONA - - - - kinda up Northern AZ - - -
Prescott area , about 20 - 24 miles north of Prescott.
A little different from Tucson , BUT STILL Great . Calif. had an earthquack !
(for quackers) . . today ; around a 4-5 . . . . . never felt anything .

And, They are correct - - for the car guys ; cruise-nights , car shows === ===
Arizona , for sure .
My older sister now lives in Austin, Tx. , and are getting 'much-o' storm-o'.
Boo - Boo .
Our Daughter & Son-in-Law just moved from Bagdad, AZ to North Carolina . . . . . . & spell that - - - - - like "Mistake" ! !

hey, I'm just saying , jim
Jim is right about AZ. Tons of car guys up here in CV & Prescott. We moved here 21 years ago. You couldn't pry us away now. This is HOME. As for Tucson, very nice town with decent climate. Home to Arizona Univ so leans liberal but all in all a good choice.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:31 PM
Senior Chief

I lived in Cinti. for 68 years, enough of winter, can't drive your car when you want to, rain a lot. Arizona for me now hot and dry most of the time.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mass, only if.......

If you are politically conservative, move to Massachusetts only if you don't mind being rendered politically impotent. Some very nice people there, but the politics and winter weather, along with he taxes would rule that out for me.

AZ - politically conservative, lots of beautiful weather and great car driving roads. Plus, you're a lot closer to Hot August Nights!

Old 04-09-2020, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been in both States with a big rig. My pick would be any where in Arizona... preferably Tucson, but nowhere near Phoenix as their dust storm and summer heat are not so nice. As for the higher elevations,... winters can be rough and cold. I've been in winter storms up in Flagstaff and saw the snow and ice there. Not fun at all, even tho it doesn't last long.

Massachusetts is one of the most expensive States to live in. A cousin of mine lived there for several and hated it. Car insurance and every thing else is out of sight. I'm surprised anyone with a middle class income still lives there.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I've been in both States with a big rig. My pick would be any where in Arizona... preferably Tucson, but nowhere near Phoenix as their dust storm and summer heat are not so nice. As for the higher elevations,... winters can be rough and cold. I've been in winter storms up in Flagstaff and saw the snow and ice there. Not fun at all, even tho it doesn't last long.

Massachusetts is one of the most expensive States to live in. A cousin of mine lived there for several and hated it. Car insurance and every thing else is out of sight. I'm surprised anyone with a middle class income still lives there.
And anyone with the means to do so are leaving, heading to 'fairer climes' , so-to-speak. And MA isn't alone, add NY, NJ, IL to the mix. All that can be hoped for is that they don't bring their xxxxx with them to their new locale

Old 04-11-2020, 04:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've lived in MA my entire life, I'm 58. I'm near Andover. If you're into warm weather, this isn't for you. Spring is wet, summer is short, fall is beautiful (cool/dry) and winter is hit or miss. Had 110" if snow a few years ago. This place is liberal central, its BAD. No place for a 2a supporter and I grew up in Concord MA (battle of 1776). Cost of living is high. Property appreciation is good.
PROs...Jobs and healthcare are good here. Mountains, lakes and the ocean. I was planning to leave in 5 years. That plan may be accelerated with CV19. If you wanted to talk, send me a PM
Dan

Old 04-11-2020, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Arizona folks are screwing around while the Massachusetts folks made a legitimate offer, so the decision may end up being made for me. But then also my old job in San Francisco is also making an offer to me, so there's all sorts of decisions to be made. I don't think the SF job is going to come close to what MA has offered. Getting a winter beater car seems to be somewhat of a daunting task as I've never bought a car solely so it can die...

It's nice to be the one with the power for once...

Old 04-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

An old big Pontiac would be the perfect winter car!!!

Reminds me of the movie, Grumpy Old Men...Jack Lemon driving the old Crappy Chrysler.
I'm praying for the best thing, for you. Sometimes money isn't the most important factor..

You feeling better enough to work on some of your stuff, now???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-12-2020, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
The Arizona folks are screwing around while the Massachusetts folks made a legitimate offer, so the decision may end up being made for me. But then also my old job in San Francisco is also making an offer to me, so there's all sorts of decisions to be made. I don't think the SF job is going to come close to what MA has offered. Getting a winter beater car seems to be somewhat of a daunting task as I've never bought a car solely so it can die...

It's nice to be the one with the power for once...
I’m not sure what prices are like in MA, but there’s no way that they’re as high in the Bay Area. So - more $ in MA is way higher.

You are lucky to be in this situation now. My work is feast or famine and I, like a lot of people, will be on rice and beans for a while.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
An old big Pontiac would be the perfect winter car!!!

Reminds me of the movie, Grumpy Old Men...Jack Lemon driving the old Crappy Chrysler.
I'm praying for the best thing, for you. Sometimes money isn't the most important factor..
I was thinking using this rusty '71 Bonneville I picked up for parts:

I've got an engine and tranny installed in it already plus enough spare parts to redo the brakes and cooling. It already needs quarter help and trunk pan help, and the frame and floors were undercoated years ago. I just don't want it to complete disintegrate away and fall apart, which is why I was wondering if there was a way to have a classic winter car (that isn't nice or ever going to be worth anything) without having it turn to dust in 2-3 years.

And you're right, the right decision is more important than the money. I still have another interview with Arizona this coming Friday so I'll know more after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
You feeling better enough to work on some of your stuff, now???
Yes actually! Only in the last month has my strength and stamina gotten to where I can work more than an hour or two at a time. I managed to get the 455 hooked up and the cam broken in. It went swimmingly:

Old 04-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Cool!!! I saw the other pictures in the other thread. Glad to see in running!!!
I started my TA up here a few minutes ago. Had to put a new battery in it yesterday. Had it running. I guess a trans pan leak was blowing on the exhaust making a little smoke. Was planning on working on that soon, any way..
Sounds like the 068 was a perfect choice!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Along those lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
I was thinking using this rusty '71 Bonneville I picked up for parts:

I've got an engine and tranny installed in it already plus enough spare parts to redo the brakes and cooling. It already needs quarter help and trunk pan help, and the frame and floors were undercoated years ago. I just don't want it to complete disintegrate away and fall apart, which is why I was wondering if there was a way to have a classic winter car (that isn't nice or ever going to be worth anything) without having it turn to dust in 2-3 years.And you're right, the right decision is more important than the money. I still have another interview with Arizona this coming Friday so I'll know more after.

Yes actually! Only in the last month has my strength and stamina gotten to where I can work more than an hour or two at a time. I managed to get the 455 hooked up and the cam broken in. It went swimmingly:

If you do this make sure to keep some "ballast in the trunk, keep your fuel tank near full and make sure that defrost/heater are top notch!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
If you do this make sure to keep some "ballast in the trunk, keep your fuel tank near full and make sure that defrost/heater are top notch!
If there's one thing I do, I always make sure a car I have has a working heater and defroster! Nothing worse than not being able to see or get warm.