Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If Bob does not send the schematic I may be able to provide it, but I think it is on my old computer.

Post 44 explains how I wired mine.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:04 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Koontz View Post
If Bob does not send the schematic I may be able to provide it, but I think it is on my old computer.

Post 44 explains how I wired mine.
thanks Joel, I saw your post but I have a corvette module and the wires are coloured slightly different so I wanted to take a look at the schematic before starting to fiddle with it.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Regarding a Firebird retrofit, I have this solution worked out on paper, but haven't got the heart to molest my stock Firebird!

The hard part is making doors.

Last edited by fyrebird68; 08-27-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brengun View Post
thanks Joel, I saw your post but I have a corvette module and the wires are coloured slightly different so I wanted to take a look at the schematic before starting to fiddle with it.
I posted the diagram, but the largest file size allowed is 640x480 - hard to read. Send me your email address and I'll email a large one to you.

fyrebird68@hotmail.com

Bob T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diag.gif
Views:	454
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	216723  

Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Senior Chief

thank you Bob, I just sent you a pm with my email address.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekheavy View Post
Received this 12 volt linear actuator in the mail today. I'm going to see if I can use this to open and close the hideaway doors on my 68 GTO. It has a 4 inch shaft that extends out when 12 volts is supplied. Reversing the voltage causes the shaft to retract. I should be able to accomplish this with a couple of relays. My car already has a rod connecting the two door levers together where somebody hooked up a mechanical style lever to open and close the doors, so I only need one actuator. Just need to figure out the mounting of the actuator behind the grille.

Attachment 216547
Did a test fit and a quick hookup of the electric actuator to see if it is strong enough to open and close both doors. I'd say phase one was a success. Here's a quick video I just shot with my cell phone.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 PM

Default Info

What applicastion was the actuator from so I can look for one? Also, how dod you wire it? Thanks Jim Nanosj@comcast.net

Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 369GTO View Post
What applicastion was the actuator from so I can look for one? Also, how dod you wire it? Thanks Jim Nanosj@comcast.net
This was the actuator I used.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...577-4&catname=

I also purchased the mount for it.

Right now, I am using a double pole toggle switch to operate the opening and closing of the doors. The wiring diagram comes with the actuator. Eventually I will incorporate it into the headlight switch using a couple of relays.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 PM

Default Hideaways

Hey Thanks very much. If you get to the relay portion at some point can you shoot me the wiring set up you are going to use? Thanks again Jim

Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Hey Thanks very much. If you get to the relay portion at some point can you shoot me the wiring set up you are going to use? Thanks again Jim
Will do.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:

This is the setup i came up with to open/close mine with the factory switch. it uses 2 standard bosch style relays. sorry about my paint skills. or lack there of haha

Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0 View Post
This is the setup i came up with to open/close mine with the factory switch. it uses 2 standard bosch style relays. sorry about my paint skills. or lack there of haha

That's very similar, if not the same as my setup.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:24 AM

i should have scanned my original drawing. i came up with it while sitting at a bar, and jotted it down on a napkin with a sharpie

Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New pic

I had the radiator out of the GTO so I took the opportunity to photograph the motors in place:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	244955   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	244956  

Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 AM

great read!!!

thanks for all of the great information!

Andy

Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Senior Chief

Bob,

I just scored the LH and RH headlight motors, and the control module from a '87 firebird. I want to copy your conversion exactly on my 68 gto. Is it possible for you to mail or email me a template of your fabricated 1/8" plate brackets? I would really appreciate it! Having a template or plan of your fabricated steel brackets would save me alot of time and effort. Seems like most of the hassle of this conversion is in fabbing up the brackets? I'd even be willing to pay you if you made me some exact copies of your brackets and shipped them to me?

Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
Bob,

I just scored the LH and RH headlight motors, and the control module from a '87 firebird. I want to copy your conversion exactly on my 68 gto. Is it possible for you to mail or email me a template of your fabricated 1/8" plate brackets? I would really appreciate it! Having a template or plan of your fabricated steel brackets would save me alot of time and effort. Seems like most of the hassle of this conversion is in fabbing up the brackets? I'd even be willing to pay you if you made me some exact copies of your brackets and shipped them to me?
Sorry, but I don't have templates. Even if I did, a lot depends on where the bracket is mounted to the radiator supports. My recommendation is make a bracket out of plywood or masonite (I used some lexan scraps I had), mount the motor to it and use clamps and tape to stick it to the radiator. Hook it up and run the headlight cover up and down (watch your fingers!) You WILL need to move it at least once to find the sweet spot where it works best. Once you have it in a good spot, drill the mounting holes in the wood and the support, take the wood and use it to make your steel bracket.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, do you know if your arrangement will work if the car has Factory A/C?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did this conversion, picked up the motors and the control box from someone on the board here. Anyhow, I hooked it up according to the wiring that has been documented in this thread, although it works when you turn the lights on the motors open the doors but when you turn the lights off the doors don't close. Anyone have any ideas, is the wiring schematic (Post #44) in this thread correct?

Last edited by torqhead; 03-18-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: updated w/ reference to post #
Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Torqhead, I feel certain that what I described in post #44 is how I wired mine and it is still working fine. I don't currently have easy access to my car so I can't confirm the wiring right now, but if needed, I may be able to do so within a few days.

Have you tested the motors without the module. IIRC power to one wire and ground to the other will run the motor one way and reversing the wires will make it run the other direction. If you test like this, just touch the power for an instant as you don't want to damage the motors by running them against the stops.