THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you decide to sell them I'll buy them! I'm not afraid to drive on old tires. I have a whole garage full of old nos tires and my Judge drives on 50yr old slicks and polys with no problem.
I guess after all the women I dated in the 80's nothing scares me anymore.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Just some thoughts from the other side of the coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnn;
The car won’t be going anywhere for a long time as we change things around to my liking.
Then by all means, WAIT until then before you buy new tires. They'd just be getting age time on them while you're not meaningfully using the car.
Just driving it 2 miles to the store is not enough to fret about IMHO.

The only time I had a major brand tire go to sh*t from age was about 13 years ago. It was a FIrestone Supreme that was part of a set I had purchased new and was approximately 10 years old. The steel belts in the tread broke, which made for a very noticable wobble at low speeds. I actually drove it like that for a month because I was dirt poor and couldn't find a good used one to replace it (hard to find 14" size). Well it finally did blow out but I was mentally prepared and it was on the rear so it was non consequential. I limited most of my driving around town and drove very cautiously while this was going on. I had noticed some weather checking in the shoulder grooves some time before the broken belt became apparent. Actually a year or two before that. The car had spent a lot of time sitting outdoors with the sun beating on the tires.
I think they held up pretty well considering all that. The other three Firestones were still on the car for another year before I sold it. Since I had plenty of 'warning' time before the one that failed let go, I wasn't too concerned with replacing the others right away.
I'll probably get flamed for having this attitude, but that's how it is when you have to scrimp for every dollar.

BTW: I still get tires from the salvage yard to put on my daily driver. Not very often because I know how to inspect tires, and the ones I select usually last for a long time.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stags View Post
UV rays break down rubber. If UV exposure is avoided, or minimal as in a garage-stored classic car, rubber will last indefinitely which is why tires are kept out of landfills. Of course there is more to a tire than just rubber - the various plys are bonded with adhesives, etc. and that's what worries me about even well-stored old tires. I just replaced 12yr old BFG's on my goat last year. They still look and feel smooth and pliable with no signs of cracking or delam. but I figured it was time, and I upgraded to 15". If your just gonna tool around to shows and such MaryAnn you can probably get by on them for a while longer but if highway speeds (or jumping creeks ) is in your plans you might want to go new.
While UV rays will accelerate the breakdown of the rubber, it has nothing to do with other tire problems.

I've personally experienced tire failures on my GTO. The car was always stored inside and there was absolutely no weather checking and the tread was perfect. Tires were the original Uniroyal redlline radials produced in the late 80's and early 90's and had less than 20,000 miles on them. I bought them in 1995 and the following happened in 2002 or 2003 (I'm getting old...)

While driving home from a car show on the I94, I started to feel a slight vibration from the rear. I slowed down and the vibration got worse so I pulled over. All tires "looked" fine.

I was only a mile and a half from my exit and didn't want to investigate further on the side of the road so I drove slowly and got off the highway and into a parking lot.

After a thorough inspection I finally noticed steel cords sticking out through the tread surface on the left rear tire. I had a "brand new" matching spare, so I mounted the spare thinking I had just suffered a "freak" incident. Once the damaged tire was off the car, it was plain to see that I had a bulge about half the size of my fist were the steel belts had let go - which is why I had the vibration.

Fast forward 1 month. Coming home from another car show as I pulled on to the road I lived on, I feel a slight vibration. I looked at all the tires and couldn't see any problems. I had an extra set of wheels and tires, so I mounted them and the vibration went away.

Went back and took a closer look at the tires - still couldn't see anything. Went to roll them into the corner, and 3 of the 4 tires failed to roll in a straight line. By rolling them again and noting at what point they "wobbled", I was able to find the bad spot. A very slight bulge - like the first tire to fail.

After that, I read up on tire failures due to age. There is a lot of information out there

Here is an ABC news video on the subject:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/dang...dents-23710711

If you don't know where to find or how to read a tire date code, here's what to look for:

In the example above:

DOT U2LL LMLR 5107

51 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year

07 Manufactured during 2007

Old 02-07-2018, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would keep those tires. Love the look, and that what matters most to me.

If I get a flat I fix them. If unfixable then I replace.

I have driven on old tires too, and they've been problem free.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
I would keep those tires. Love the look, and that what matters most to me.

If I get a flat I fix them. If unfixable then I replace.

I have driven on old tires too, and they've been problem free.
Let me know when you leave the state of Illinois while driving your cars. I don't want to be on the highway anywhere near you when you suffer a catastrophic tire failure.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tire question

Ok, I usually drive with other guys with old tires too.

But, we are not heading your way as we go to Dayton...

TA Nats cruise is a 700 mile round trip.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That car is stunning

Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So...

MaryAnn, I think the main point in all of this banter is simply that you just never know, and the odds of a failure go up the older the tire gets. Like others, I've had old tires that seem to run forever, but I've also had ones fail unexpectedly on me. (belts separating/bulging, tread peeling off, etc...)

I'm now in the camp that changes my tires regularly. I've done enough damage to things from tire problems that I just don't mess around with it anymore. I'm not as concerned about losing control of the car. Plus, there's the added inconvenience that they always seem to fail at a most inopportune time. It's frustrating being stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with a tire problem, when I could have completely eliminated the problem by simply replacing the tires. If you plan to drive the car a lot, and they're in that 7-10 year range, I'd swap them out for the added peace of mind.

As an aside... If you're really in love with the look of the vintage tires, maybe hang on to them on a spare set of wheels for use at shows?

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 02-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had (2) tires catastrophically let go on the highway....one on the rear of a car and one on a trailer.. No loss of control, but wow, they beat the h*ll out of the wheelwells and body panels as they're coming apart. And the cars following them did some scary maneuvers to avoid the shrapnel.

Highway driving is way more stress on a tire because of the increased heat and much higher centrifugal force trying to pull the tread apart.

The car tire was probably 10 years old, trailer tire was 6 years old.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 02-07-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram4king View Post
When you decide to sell them I'll buy them! I'm not afraid to drive on old tires. I have a whole garage full of old nos tires and my Judge drives on 50yr old slicks and polys with no problem.
I guess after all the women I dated in the 80's nothing scares me anymore.

Well Don you know I have a list of things this car needs..... and you might have...... ever watch Barter Kings? Maybe we can do a little trade deal.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 AM

My life was al ready compromised fighting and winning against Leukemia, I’m not willing to take a chance with it again, when a tire blows out and I cross paths with a tractor trailer.

I ran Firestone wide oval raised white letter bias plys on my 69 for over 12 years just because It was that factory look I wanted. I had to fight with that car every time I drove it to keep it straight on the road. Finally bought the Goodyear’ radials everyone runs. Man it’s like night and day.

The Firestone tires are still like new, if anyone wants to buy them for wall art or whatever I still have them.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds good to me. I'll take those old firestone off your hands too!

Old 02-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram4king View Post
Sounds good to me. I'll take those old firestone off your hands too!
Sweet. I’ll keep in touch.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 02-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you ever have one let go on you at speed you daredevils might think twice about it. I had it happen to me and it was more than a simple flat. The belt came up and cleaned about 5~6 square inches of paint off the fender.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:01 PM

Bottom line is, I learned a lot here, as usual you guys are very helpful, and.....I won't be driving on these tires.

Thank you all for the info and input.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You didn't say what size tire you have. Mine are 255/60 x 15. They have 9xxx miles on them and they're 15 years old
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3225.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	474899  

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 02-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For the record, wasn't my intent to encourage anyone to drive on old tires. In my case just lost track of how long the tires had been on the cars - especially the drag car, but I was surprised how good they looked considering. Seems odd that NHRA doesn't have an age limit for tires (like belts) but then it would just be something else for racers to complain about I guess.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stags View Post
For the record, wasn't my intent to encourage anyone to drive on old tires. In my case just lost track of how long the tires had been on the cars - especially the drag car, but I was surprised how good they looked considering. Seems odd that NHRA doesn't have an age limit for tires (like belts) but then it would just be something else for racers to complain about I guess.
Mark I didn’t take it that way. I know how my car was driven with the Firestone’s on it for many years. This car I have no idea how the guy drove it, so better to be safe than sorry, especially since I do intend on driving this car more. The 69 can’t be a star forever lolol. so BURT needs new shoes.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 02-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set of 2003 BFG TA radial's mounted on my original Rally II's , I quit using them two years ago due to their age they were about 1/2 worn.

I lent them two my buddy for his cutlass to get it back on the road and we went to the track he made 15 passes with them including burnouts , I was shocked they held up.

Their still on his car a 1 1/2 years latter.

I kept them for a set for rollers and personally would not drive on them.

Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.075 @ 112.70
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

Old 02-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks MaryAnn, didn't think you would but as you said very different when you know where they've been since new. Like Form70 my BFGs are early 2000s vintage and still look good but I'm done driving on them.