THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Best, 1972 Lemans, I beat on that car and it never gave me any trouble. Worst 1977 Can Am, it was a stolen recovery and it had electrical problems that drove me crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lemans.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	535807   Click image for larger version

Name:	1488207_255632084607604_878654077_n.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	535808  

Old 03-30-2020, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll only include daily drivers...
Best: 2002 Ford SVT Focus -- an absolute joy to drive; kept it for 6 years (the longest I've driven any car regularly in my whole life...)
Worst: A 1982 Honda Accord that I bought used with a lot of miles on it; I've had a few other Accords that were fantastic, but that one never drove right and felt jinxed (would love to have seen the Carfax history, had that existed in the late '80s!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SVTFLeftSideFront.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	535843   Click image for larger version

Name:	82accord.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	535844  

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 03-30-2020, 09:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The biggest POS by far was a 2006 Infinity G35 Coupe, it was like a dead albatross around my neck. Sold the car with less than 25k miles. New engine due to oil consumption. The oil had to be full to the line or it would ping and rattle. Replaced clutch and flywheel on my dime because Infinity claimed abuse. I never, ever abused that car in any way. Twice lost all power at highway speeds, never figured that out. Stereo head unit replaced along with radiator, master cylinder, both headlights and a few other items I can't recall. Drivers power seat would take off when it rained, almost wrecked the car a few times because of that one. Dealer refused to replace the switch until a mechanic almost wrecked the car. All warning lights would flash at random times. The roof would pop loudly when turning right into a driveway that was elevated. Never did find that problem. Car was constantly at the dealer for one reason or another.

On a side note, Infinity had the worst customer service except for the free loaner.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 03-30-2020, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

worst: 1995 chevy 4 x 4 dually with the 6.2 turbo diesel. any and everything that could go wrong almost happened. spent more time in the shop than I had it in my possession. 32k miles Chevrolet decided they were done honoring the warranty. so after several years of a lawsuit and the truck sitting in my pasture chevy lost the case and had to pay up. been driving ford trucks ever since.

best: either my 2000 f350 dually 4x4 sold it with 131k and never had one repair or my 2011 f350 dually 4x4 it had one recall warranty repair only. decided to keep it as a back up hauler and it now has 202k and I did a hose replacement at a 150k just to make sure that the plastic ends didn't bust somewhere out of town.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From a reliability and cost of ownership perspective, best by far was my '89 Corolla. Bought it for cheap from a friend at a low point in my life when I just needed cheap transportation. Had 112K on it. Drove it to 230K and only repairs it needed were CV joints (super easy to replace both front axles, had the whole job done in under 2 hours) and a water pump. Don't know if the clutch had been replaced before I bought it, but it gave up at 230K so I had it replaced and just a few days later 3rd gear in the transmission broke. I never once changed the oil in the trans, so guess that should've been expected. Could've put a used, guaranteed trans in it for cheap but I was tired of it at that point so traded it for an '06 WRX that only had 38K miles on it. That was the second most fun car I've ever owned behind my '72 Formula. That car was also very reliable, no problems other than the heater blower motor gave up at 50K miles. Easy fix and no other problems until about 145K when the clutch was starting to get iffy, the catalytic converter was getting plugged up and it blew a head gasket. I had pounded on it for over 100K miles at that point so felt like I got my money's worth and rather than spend the $5500 to put a whole new engine and turbo in it, I just sold it.

Worst car is a tie between my '84 Nissan 4x4 pickup which blew the transmission and kept cracking cylinder heads or my current '97 Accord that has had all kinds of stupid stuff go wrong with it.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Best: 2011 Cadillac CTS-V. Fantastic car. Great performance, great looks, great ride and handling.

Worst: 2008 Ford F-150. Took to intermittent bucking and Ford couldn’t fix it.

Don

Old 03-31-2020, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
I haven't had too many POS vehicles myself, mostly because until recently I've always stuck with '60s and '70s GM full size products (back when they were mostly quality despite some flaws). I drove a '72 Lemans, a '73 Grand Am, a '74 Catalina wagon, and a '73 Grand Safari from 1999 until 2016, with some minor excursions here or there into more "modern" vehicles.
Hard to beat a big 70s GM. I had a 78 301 Bonnie that I commuted in for years. AC would freeze you out and my wife and our firstborn took many trips to TX in it in the late 90s when it was 20 years old. Even got decent gas mileage.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to 455Grandville For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Worst, by far, was my '63 Volkswagen Beetle. Uphill on highway couldn't maintain speed, noisy, little to no heater/defrost.

Favorite driver is my '95 Roadmaster Wagon. Tow rated 5,000 lb, 20+ mpg, no oil usage at 179,000 miles, great brakes, good performance with stock LT1. It'll be a sad day when this one is used up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	'66 Tripower, Fall Colors 006.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	535851   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Florida Trip 240.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	535852  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 03-31-2020, 07:34 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
You need a small, reliable car in Holland. How else will you get your Rookvlees or Hagelslag? I'd go crazy without mine. Fortunately, there's a Dutch store near where my wife's parents live, so I'm not jonesing for those. We make our Oliebollen and Pannekoeken at home.
Those are some typical Dutch food things indeed. So are you from the Netherlands or of Dutch decent?

By the way is the Rookvlees you can get the real stuff (horse meat)?

Old 03-31-2020, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Although nowhere close to the best car I have owned, my 69 GTO is my favorite,
otherwise I wouldn't have kept it for 50 years so far. It breaks a lot, always has,
but I fix it and move on from there, because I love everything about it.
The best GM car I've ever had is my 2010 Camaro.......100K miles and only have had to change 1 tail light bulb, 1 battery, two sets of tires, and oil and filters over ten years of use.
Easily the best vehicle I've owned or have ever seen for that matter is my 1999
Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. It's pulled heavy trailers it's whole life and is still
a gorgeous truck at 21 years of age and 325,000 miles. It still has it's original
5.4 liter engine, automatic transmission, rear end, A/C compressor, wheel bearings, fuel pump, all p/s parts, all door lock actuators and power window parts, original sound system, door handles, door hinges, headliner, etc. The headliner and sun visors still look brand new........amazing! I've changed the starter, alternator, water pump and radiator but only as a precaution due to mileage........the truck has never been towed for any reason and it still never breaks down...more reliable than the sun coming up in the morning. The original paint still looks gorgeous.
The worst vehicle is also very easy.....1993 GMC Suburban. Everything that could go wrong with that Truck went wrong, in some cases the same parts failed 5 or six times, and I was using GM factory parts. I drove it 180,000 miles and finally sold it because I couldn't drive it around the block without developing a new problem. I estimate that between 100,000 and 180,000 miles
that I spent 18 thousand dollars on repairs to keep it going. Total POS.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No real complaints about our cars, I tend to buy domestic. The standouts: '85 Olds Toro: bought at 12K, the only real work needed was @ 70K started to burn oil. I figure not the fault of the hardware necessarily, but it had a low numerical final drive like 2.7:1 or so and overdrive, My wife would drive it mostly and i think ended up lugging the engine a lot (307 cu in). I did a re-ring on it and then I drove it till 210K miles with no prob..kept it out of OD for city driving. Changed the trans oil at 210K just before I sold it, just because. The thing was a tank thru the snow too. Nice and comfy with all the options.

On the other side, we have a '98 Eldo with the Northstar. Going on 22 years, always something minor breaking, uses oil, (don't know where it's going) leaks oil and coolant too. The main issue I have with it you can't get to anything to fix things. Main issue was at 120K, with a cyl head leak. You need to pull the engine and put inserts into the block head bolt threads because the threads get messed up, and then reseal everything.

Steps to replace A/C evaporator: disconnect battery, remove engine. No kidding. Never needed that (yet).

George

Old 03-31-2020, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree with you about the Northstar cars. They were ahead of their time 20+ years ago, but very hard to work on. And they leak EVERYTHING from EVERYWHERE! Since I own my own shop now, as of a couple years ago, I won't work on the engines. Brake jobs, tires, struts, sure. There is almost zero chance of having a happy customer after working on those engines now. Had a very nice lady with a 1996 Eldorado that had all the typical Northstar issues, but a beautiful, rust free, example. Metallic red, parchment leather interior, about 80K miles. She sold it for $600.00 because it needed 5K in underhood repairs.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Agree with you about the Northstar cars. They were ahead of their time 20+ years ago, but very hard to work on. And they leak EVERYTHING from EVERYWHERE! Since I own my own shop now, as of a couple years ago, I won't work on the engines. Brake jobs, tires, struts, sure. There is almost zero chance of having a happy customer after working on those engines now. Had a very nice lady with a 1996 Eldorado that had all the typical Northstar issues, but a beautiful, rust free, example. Metallic red, parchment leather interior, about 80K miles. She sold it for $600.00 because it needed 5K in underhood repairs.
Don't forget about the head bolts pulling out of the block because some brainiac engineer thought it was a good idea to screw them into an aluminum block/threads.

Only thing worse than a Northstar was the HT4100. Another Caddy gem.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The best is probably my current 2017 Ram. I got lucky and got a deal when they were offering an unlimited miles warranty, so Ill just drive it into the ground and make them resurrect it. Seat air conditioning will change your life.

The worse was my first project/performance car. A 1986 IROC I had in high school (circa 2000ish). And to be honest it wasn't the cars fault, I was trying to go fast on an 18 year olds budget, cutting corners, I blew up 4 700R4s because I could never afford to put a good transmission in it. Blew up a motor, and then blew it up again because I only replaced one piston. Put it back together and 2 more cracked. Surprise surprise.

Never did I love a car so much, that in turn hated my guts so much. The car was later parted out while I was out of the state by a shady uncle. So technically I still own the car on paper, because I had the title, Im sure its in a scrap yard somewhere. I have wanted another third gen ever since to do it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 03-31-2020, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Rock, i had an '86 conversion van and it had a T350 in it. I always wondered why and later found out that that year GM was redesigning the 700R4 so it wasn't available in '86.

George

Old 03-31-2020, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Seat air conditioning will change your life.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Chief...don't the head bolts on a LS series engine screw into the alum block?

george

Old 03-31-2020, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Hey Chief...don't the head bolts on a LS series engine screw into the alum block?

george
Not into aluminum threads like the Northstar. Supposedly GM corrected that in the later years but the engine still had numberous issues and all the Caddy owners got screwed.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a new chevy van in 1984 and traded it for a new 1985 chevy van.
G20 305 V8 . Both had overdrive trannys. 700 R4 I believe

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 03-31-2020, 05:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer View Post
I bought a new chevy van in 1984 and traded it for a new 1985 chevy van.
G20 305 V8 . Both had overdrive trannys. 700 R4 I believe
Early 700's had cases that would warp as well as 27 spline input shafts and other weak internals. '87 and up were greatly improved and hold up very well.