THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:58 PM

Default Retirement, and a health update. Long.

After 41 years in the engineering business, and 26 years with my current company, I decided it was time to finally retire. My last day is tomorrow, Friday April 3.

I would have stayed on another couple years, but I’ve been battling health issues for the last few years…I have a disease called AL amyloidosis. It’s a rare thing that affects only about eight in a million. The short description is it’s caused by something called an amyloid protein, it spontaneously develops in the bone marrow and then migrates around the body attacking various organs as well as the neurological system.

It took quite a while to figure out what was going on. I started having mysterious pain, weight loss, mental and physical fatigue, and a host of other symptoms. I was having a terrible time keeping food down, and it got to the point where about all I could handle was white rice and a little lean chicken. I went through a half dozen different doctors here in Minneapolis and none of them could figure out what the problem was, and eventually I was diagnosed (erroneously) with fibromyalgia. So, I underwent various treatments for that for around 18 months, with no improvement. Finally, I got an appointment at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, and they pretty rapidly figured it out. It helps that Mayo happens to be one of the world’s leaders in treatment of amyloidosis. They also don’t mess around - I was initially only going to be there for a half day appointment, but they got me in right away and I ended up spending almost two weeks getting tested.

Unfortunately, there’s no cure. However, there are things that can be done to help manage the disease. The initial plan was to do a stem cell transplant, but literally the day before that procedure was to begin I came down with a bad staph infection, and it landed me in the hospital for nearly three months. They had to cut some chunks out of me (a bone in my foot, a piece of my sternum and some other things), and before it was over I’d lost about 90 pounds and I had to learn how to walk again.

After I got out of the hospital and had recovered sufficiently, the doctors went in a different direction and put me on a chemotherapy program with a drug that is normally used to treat multiple myeloma patients. Fortunately, it’s helped quite a bit, and my blood tests have returned nearly to normal. The pain is gone and my mental faculties have returned. I’ve gained back some weight, but on the minus side I'm still about 60 pounds under where I should be (you could play the xylophone on my ribs) and I’m still pretty weak, although I can now get around without a walker or a cane. I do have severe neuropathy in my feet which is probably going to be permanent, and it makes me pretty wobbly. My stomach can handle more foods without too much issue, but I still have to be careful about what I eat.

I’ve been on partial disability since getting out of the hospital, working more or less half time, and even at that level it’s been a struggle to keep up - it’s just been wearing me down. I'm old enough now that I'll be able to stay on my health insurance through work until I'm eligible for Medicare, so I decided it made sense to pull the plug.

I get the chemo treatments once a month; it’s kind of like ‘chemo light’, in that I don’t have too many side effects - I haven’t lost my hair, and about all that happens is I feel a little crummy for a couple days after each treatment. The treatment sessions are a sobering experience - I look around the room at the other people who are there getting treated for their cancer, and I realize I could have it a lot worse.

The Mayo Clinic has a pretty good webpage explaining the disease in more detail, if you’re interested: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353178

That was a long winded story about retiring, but I thought it would also be a good way to raise a little awareness about the disease. If there is a celebrity face to the disease, it would probably be Matt Millen: He's a former pro football player who went on to become the president and CEO of the Detroit Lions, and later was a color broadcaster. In his case, the amyloidosis affected his heart and he had to get a heart transplant. Fortunately for me, my heart is still plenty strong. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Millen

So, back to the original reason for posting...I'm looking forward to not having to hear the alarm clock go off every morning.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 10:02 PM

Default good days coming

congrats on the retirement, Glad you have been feeling better, now go get some car time in

Old 04-02-2020, 10:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congrats- seems like the timing was right. I haven’t read about the effects of the disease but after a career like that you deserve to get a few enjoyable years to yourself

Old 04-02-2020, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope and pray everything works out for you. I also hope you enjoy retirement more than I do. I have been fully retired for a year now and still can't get used to it. I got a lot more done when I was working because I knew I had to.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wishing the best for your future, Stuart. You've hung in there longer than many others would have.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:55 PM

Stuart, I’m sorry to hear about health problems and your struggles to try to get back on your feet. Being able to retire will give you the ability to focus on your health. I’ve always enjoyed your comments on the site and respect your knowledge of Pontiacs and the hobby immensely.

Chip Miller, the co-founder of Carlisle Productions suffered from Amyliodosis. There is a foundation named for him that has been searching for answers for years for possible causes and cures. I think that their main function, at this point, is to help people with the disease to try cope with the outcomes of living with the disease. You probably have already heard of this foundation, but I thought I’d mention it if you hadn’t.

You are in my prayers for a full recovery. Wishing you all the best.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:20 PM

Thanks, guys - I appreciate it. Don't worry about me, there are plenty of others (especially these days) who need prayers a lot more than I do.

prd1955, I wasn't aware of the Chip Miller foundation, thanks for the information. Maybe I'll have to try to convince them that Pontiacs are better than Corvettes.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart best wishes on your retirement. Hope your health issues even out and are manageable. Again good luck in retirement.

TOM
Old 04-03-2020, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Stuart,

Congratulations on your retirement tomorrow.
It sounds like you have definitely earned it. Many years of the alarm clock.

I retired in May 2015 from the local Water District. I would have probably stayed longer but I had a small stroke a couple months earlier and decided to call it quits.
I’m all good now and have to take a couple pills everyday to help insure my health.

You seem to have found a little more comfort in life after going to the Mayo Clinic. Good for you!

That name “Chip Miller” rang a bell.
Before GTO’s, I was into mid-year Corvettes in the 70’s.
I had a subscription to “Vette Vues Magazine” which featured many of Chip Miller’s Corvettes.
This is one of his cars on the cover of the Dec. 1980 issue. Black 427/435 HP Coupe.

My routine is No Clock, good coffee, a little exercise, projects and toys, like GTO’s.

Take Care and Enjoy, Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77D9DC52-7B02-4E1C-8E4C-5D61180C3977.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	536207  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart

The Mayo Clinic is a wonderful place. I'm lucky to have moved to the greater Rochester area before I had the need for serious medical services.

Without going in to all the gory details, I don't think I'd be alive today without the Mayo Clinic. It's been 4 major surgeries since '06 and lots of follow up care, but I'm still alive and kicking. Mayo's attention to the patient's needs is the best in the world. Their nursing staff is incredible. Being in the hospital sucks, but when you have a group of angels taking care of you, it seriously helps your attitude which I thinks speeds up your recovery.

Since my initial hospitalization, I now go to Mayo for all my medical care. My next annual physical was supposed to be last month, but due to CV-19, it has been postponed until May 15th.

I'm glad to hear they solved your medical mystery. Sometimes just knowing what the real problem is helps more than one would think. I quit working full time over 2 years ago at the age of 64, with no regrets. Taking time for myself has been rewarding and therapeutic for me - I hope it is for you.

When all the current silliness ends (CV-19 protocols), please contact me when you are coming to Mayo for any followup care. I'd love to take you out to lunch and talk cars or whatever else. I don't live in Rochester, but my drive to Mayo is only 25 - 30 minutes.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart, I wish you a long and happy retirement. Thank goodness for the Mayo Clinic. Without proper diagnosis, who knows where you would have been.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good luck in retirement!

Old 04-03-2020, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to your 1st day of retirement!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-03-2020, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart, your Post is quite saddening and frustrates me. My read is "World's experts did 2-weeks of testing and declare there is no cure!, but did find cancers and will address the cancers".

Run, I mean it; run it off with physical activities. As for the numbb feet there is a plant-based foot cream: Magnilife Pain-Relieving foot cream for $25 at CVS, from TX). If it helps great. If not it smells good enough, and your feet will benefit somehow.

We eat to make good blood. Oh, no more meats, dairys, pastas for the first weeks. It's ICEBERG Lettuce for you. Balsamic vinegar, cucumber slices, raw zuccinni slices, Black beans, and YOU will have more energy than you know what to do with. With such energy and alertness, will have to work up to a level of stamina to be able to sweat (sweat-out the crap), and make new good blood.
No more snacking between healthy meals (the Liver and kidney will benefit).

After 38 years in the Engineering Industry, I am practicingRetirement due to 6- grandkids. Pre-retirement living means home-healty comes 1st; wife's health, my vigor (getting soft too) because i got no Medical Coverage goingpart-time I observed at work, seeing the last 10 years before 65 has the largest health decline! Sitting for 8 hours is bad for us. Office air, office concerns drive us to adrenal & hormonal strains that are un-natural. The Engineering work life these days is a death-walk. It was healthy enough without the desk-pushing for 8 hours.

I'm hoping to be a help here. Hope you make use of the paid-leave and are able to vegan-up (still eat chicken, eggs, tuna, fish but ONLY the meats at dinners which you want to fall asleep right the heck away. If i eat meat it is purposeful to calm the heck down for a long sleep. The meat proteins and fats cloud our blood.

Get some Vit-C (only ascorbic acid, or drink beersours for Vit-C. Grams/day. Please read a book by Levy Titled "Curing the Uncurable" a real up-lifting, eye-opening read. Time to rebuild you motor!

Take Zinc gluco/sulf (not oxide) 25mg daily then less. Helps in many areas!
In summary I'm proposing intentional nutrition & physical work activity. Yea, ask your favorite Doctor about any/all ideas in this Post. Curious for their feedback.

You situation is a Great Topic for all of us. Thank you for sharing. Hope you have been feeling better since going to Mayo. HIS

Old 04-03-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
The Mayo Clinic is a wonderful place. I'm lucky to have moved to the greater Rochester area before I had the need for serious medical services.
I like to use this example when talking about the care I've received there: when I first met with my primary doctor, he pulled out one of his business cards, wrote his personal cell number on the back, handed it to me and told me to call him any time day or night if I needed anything. How often do you hear of a doctor doing that.

An interesting coincidence is one of my best friends happens to be the director of the lab that does my blood tests. I take her out for dinner every time I'm there to make sure they do their job right.

I'm considering eventually moving back to my home town, which is just south of Rochester - in part because it's so close (although it's not that far from Minneapolis either.)

Old 04-03-2020, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Im considering eventually moving back to my home town, which is just south of Rochester - in part because it's so close (although it's not that far from Minneapolis either.)
I remember you commenting one time about having your car painted at Bremseth's in Wykoff. Now I understand why.

I live a mile north of Grand Meadow, not too far away.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations on your retirement Stewart. I've been retired for two years now and after you get used to the slower pace, you'll soon develop a relaxing routine. For me, its a cup of coffee and watch the sun come up every morning on my patio rather than in my rear view mirror.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 10:46 AM

Wish you all the best!! And I mean that! I know what it’s like having serious health issues. Enjoy your retirement, just think more car time now.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-03-2020, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations on your retirement and your long career. If there is a magic pill to happy retirement, I think there are two items. 1. Having enough money to maintain your comfortable standard of living. 2. Being able to stay busy doing things you enjoy. I hope your health situation improves enough that you are able to do both. Thanks for your work and contributions to the forum.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Enjoy your retirement, Stuart. Enjoy every day you don't have to show up at work. Believe me, there are plenty of things to keep you occupied. Your decision to move to Minnesota, nearby MAYO is a good one. We've all heard of the good work they do when local medical personnel have little or no knowledge of problems like yours.

I hope you keep posting on our forum. Take care!

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan