THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations on your retirement.

My pending retirement has been a major topic of discussion between my wife and I for the last year. She would prefer I work a little longer, but I'm ready to go. I've been with my current employer for 15 years. I had my annual review before all of the Covid-19 stuff started, and my boss asked about my retirement plans. I told him that I was getting close, and if he needed to lay off somebody, to pick me. A nice severance package would definitely brighten my day.

You never really know what your health will be like when you are in your 60s. I've had friends who apppeared very healthy have strokes and heart attacks, totally changing in an instant. I keep telling my wife that we need to get out and enjoy life, and life sticks us in confinement for a couple of months.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations that you’re still alive to enjoy it! Give thanks your employer didn’t fire you when you got sick like they did with me. Focus on the things that matter!

Old 04-03-2020, 03:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 421mike
Default Retirement

Congratulations Stuart, I've been retired three times now and was still walking a beat at 71. Stupid. The mind says you can do it but the body says stop you idiot. I'm 77 now and just love my time, so should you, life is too short. Hope your medical condition improves, you are under the best care possible. Mike

Old 04-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

pray that your health improves greatly so you can enjoy your retirement

Old 04-04-2020, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, you have had a rough few years. Glad to hear you are getting better. My BIL had a similar experience with a bad neurological illness and like you, finally got it diagnosed at the Mayo clinic after years of inaccurate diagnoses. Must be a great place!

I'm confident you'll find the reduced stress in retirement a benefit. I retired after 43 years in engineering last May and do not miss the deadlines, telecons and UREs (unrealistic expectations).

I always enjoy reading your posts - keep taking care of yourself and sharing your knowledge!

Old 04-04-2020, 03:07 PM
Senior Chief

Welcome to the Retired Crew. I hope that your health continues to improve, and that you have many years to enjoy your time on your own clock. God bless.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:08 PM

Stuart I’m both surprised and saddened to read about your health struggles, never would have thought anything was amiss if you hadn’t shared that.

Take care and enjoy your retirement, and thank you for all you do to keep the forums running.

Bart

Old 04-04-2020, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear about your health issues and I wish you all the best on your retirement. I hope you get to enjoy that pretty '61 Bonneville for many years to come.

John

Old 04-04-2020, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hope that your health issues improve and you can enjoy a long happy retirement. Most people including me do sometimes complain about the cards they have been dealt, but as you say when you look around and see what others are dealing with then you have to say to yourself I'm doing pretty good.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart,
I just caught this thread, not sure why I hadn't seen it beforehand.

I'm so very sorry for you to hear of your illness but very pleased to hear you have made the very correct decision to retire and concentrate on your health and family.

I wish you the very very best for your future. We NEED you here on these boards mate.

Personally, I have always considered you to be the PY Forums "Voice of Reason".

Keep well and best regards

Ian

Old 04-06-2020, 09:42 PM

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm normally pretty private about personal things, but I've been part of this community long enough that I thought it was worth sharing.

The last couple weeks were weird, since our office is closed and I've been working remotely from home - my boss was going to take me out for lunch and of course that didn't happen, and at some point I'll have to go back in to get my stuff out of my office.