THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What are you doing with your extra time??

Since a lot of us seem to have a little more time on our hands lately- what are you doing with it?

I travel every week for work and we are grounded until further notice so not much work going on.

Not interested in talking about the politics or infection rate....enough of that on TV.

What are you doing with your time that you wouldn’t have otherwise???

Spending more time with the family, actually eating dinner together instead of having practices or games every night.

Since the gyms are closed I’ve started riding my mountain bike again, tore the old deck out, re-sodded the back yard and planted about 5 trees. We’ve been meaning to do this for years just never had.....time.

All of the cars are detailed, the motor for the 66 GTO is done and was picked up yesterday. The transmission should be done this weekend. Sending the Tri-Power carbs out to be rebuilt so hopefully it won’t be too long.

Other than that I have a few small projects to do and will probably trade some of the cars in the garage with the ones in storage for a change.

The are asking us to take a weeks vacation each month which I’m good with until things get back to normal. More time to get stuff done I guess..

Old 04-03-2020, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I work from home, and now the kids are home all day. So - it seems like I have less time these days.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm watchin a lot of YouTube videos.

It's not just because of the virus deal. We recently switched from Verizon, where we had only 24 gigs a month data allowance, to AT&T, where we have 250 gigs.

So, we can now watch all the videos we want.

Since I played basketball, I've always liked it. My favorite B-ball deal is usually the big NCAA college tourney, during March Madness. I especially like the early rounds, always rooting for the underdog.

But hey, the March madness this year wasn't B-ball.

I've been lookin at videos of some of the great B-ball players. When most of the greats were playin, I was busy doing other stuff, & didn't watch hardly any B-ball.

Ya'll remember the movie "White Men Can't Jump" ? Well, I never saw the movie, But the title is very memorable.

There have been lots of black B-ball stars, but not that many white stars. So, I began my video watchin with "Pistol Pete". His life story is very interesting to me. He was a huge college star, at LSU. He was quite unique. He was a very good ball handler, passer & shooter. The Globetrotters offered him a million dollars to play for them.

But, he decided to go NBA. He was not received well by his 1st NBA team. I suppose those black guys thought the skinny white guy was a little too flashy, & they resented the million dollar + contract he got.

Then he played for the N.O. Jazz. It's a shame he never got to play on a team which had some really good players, who would play with him as a team.

Anyhow, Pistol set some records & was what I'd call a great player. For any who like B-ball, & are not real familiar with him, you might enjoy watching the videos of his story. There are quite a few of 'em.

Another white guy who was a great player was Larry Bird. Of course I remember that he was a good pro player. But, I just never watched many of his games, & never bothered learning about his entire B-ball career. But, thanks to YouTube, you can learn all about him & see lots of highlights of his greatest performances.

They said he couldn't jump, was slow, & white, so he shouldn't have been as good as he was. But, some of the greatest B-ball players of all time, consider him the greatest forward that ever played. He somehow seemed to always come up with the clutch play, to win the big games.

His game winning performances make for some very good B-ball viewing, for those who like B-ball.

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-03-2020 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:05 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post

It's not just because of the virus deal. We recently switched from Verizon, where we had only 24 gigs a month data allowance, to AT&T, where we have 250 gigs.

Since I played basketball, I've always liked it. My favorite B-ball deal is usually the big NCAA college tourney, during March Madness. I especially like the early rounds, always rooting for the underdog.

I've been lookin at videos of some of the great B-ball players. When most of the greats were playin, I was busy doing other stuff, & didn't watch hardly any B-ball.

Ya'll remember the movie "White Men Can't Jump" ? Well, I never saw the movie, But the title is very memorable.

There have been lots of black B-ball stars, but not that many white stars. So, I began my video watchin with "Pistol Pete". His life story is very interesting to me. He was a huge college star, at LSU. He was quite unique. He was a very good ball handler, passer & shooter. The Globetrotters offered him a million dollars to play for them.

But, he decided to go NBA. He was not received well by his 1st NBA team. I suppose those black guys thought the skinny white guy was a little too flashy, & they resented the million dollar + contract he got.

Then he played for the N.O. Jazz. It's a shame he never got to play on a team which had some really good players, who would play with him as a team.

Anyhow, Pistol set some records & was what I'd call a great player. For any who like B-ball, & are not real familiar with him, you might enjoy watching the videos of his story. There are quite a few of 'em.

Another white guy who was a great player was Larry Bird. Of course I remember that he was a good pro player. But, I just never watched many of his games, & never bothered learning about his entire B-ball career. But, thanks to YouTube, you can learn all about him & see lots of highlights of his greatest performances.

They said he couldn't jump, was slow, & white, so he shouldn't have been as good as he was. But, some of the greatest B-ball players of all time, consider him the greatest forward that ever played. He somehow seemed to always come up with the clutch play, to win the big games.

His game winning performances make for some very good B-ball viewing, for those who like B-ball.
If you’re interested in great white college Basketball players from yesteryear, check out Bill Walton.
In my opinion the greatest college player of all time.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I work in construction, a line of work deemed "essential" in CT. Still very busy, but trying to stay away from people as much as possible. Also building our own house right now- I can go up there and work mostly by myself. Kids are home from college, taking their classes online, wife is working from home so now I don't need to get home at decent hour to feed the dogs since they're here. Because of this, I've been working late nearly every day, including weekends.

On the plus side, between working all the time and not being able to go to the bar for a beer or out to eat, I'm losing a ton of weight! Worked my way down to the last hole in my belt and even had to make a new one on Wednesday.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 04-03-2020, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've painted all the accent walls in our home (having a contractor do the primary color). Sure I could have painted it all myself - but it took 4 days to do the accent walls - and at 66 I didn't feel like putting that much abuse on my body.

Dethatched our 1.25 acre lawn, then "cut" the grass to shred the thatch. Trimmed all the shrubs. I've made two runs to the local yard debris site and probably have another 4 or 5 trips to make. Still need to Preen all the flower beds.

Weather today will prevent me from hauling yard debris (snow/sleet/rain/ice in the forecast) so might be a good day to spend in my shop.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Started working on a kitchen project that we bought material for 4 years ago. Put Koni's on 4 corners of the Mustang. Going fishing today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	536217   Click image for larger version

Name:	wall1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	536218   Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks4.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	536219  

Old 04-03-2020, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I work from home, and now the kids are home all day. So - it seems like I have less time these days.
Me too.

My wife is full of ideas of how I should be spending my time. She hates to see me sitting down.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-03-2020, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I work for the DoD so Im still at work, but so many other people on the facility are teleworking so its very slow. Just a big stack of tolerances, there are fewer people at the paint shop, fewer people at shipping and receiving etc. So the assets that I need to get to me are slow to do so.

They honestly should just tell me to work at home, and call me when an actual technical asset gets here. I do some documentation and all to try and do something, but I also do a lot of watching Motortrend TV on my phone and shopping on Jegs right now.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-03-2020, 08:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m expecting another 4-6 weeks at home. Not easy when your only used to bing home for 3-4 days at the most.

I have some drywall to fix, some painting to do.... few other small projects.

I have a shop putting the motor/trans in my GTO because I didn’t have the time- how ironic!

Old 04-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Mike and I are doing this... this is BURT my TA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	39E52ECD-2FC2-492F-90E3-379F13D406E0.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	536230   Click image for larger version

Name:	0A6BC3AB-202F-4CBC-9815-1657BA352FF9.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	536231   Click image for larger version

Name:	FEA912C9-E41D-42EF-BCB6-924BF38CC4D3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	536232   Click image for larger version

Name:	4553FA82-33AD-4A3E-AF0F-FB2F341A0FB7.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	536233   Click image for larger version

Name:	1DA25664-6172-47E8-946D-E5CA8788B9EE.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	536234  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-03-2020, 02:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What are you doing

My ‘66 GTO convertible has been completely stripped down to a roller with all parts removed sorted into plastic bins. I just pick a bin at random and pull out any part or piece that can be restored and start the clean, strip, paint, replate process. I’m good for the next year and a half I figure.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had my 66 GTO started but it hasn't been out of the garage yet. looks like no shows or cruise nights in the foreseeable future. TV when I want to fight with the Warden over what channel to watch other than freekin reruns.

So for now I'm playing on the computer.... American Truck Simulator. It's as close as I want to drive over the road again. Plus I'm seeing parts of the West I never saw when I was driving..... that's all of the North West in New Mexico, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana... everything above I-40. Hey it's a simulation, but it almost looks real. And it's as close as I want to get behind the wheel of a semi.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post

Watch the slam dunk competitions! Especially Spud Webb .

Old 04-03-2020, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Watch the slam dunk competitions! Especially Spud Webb .
Watchin a bunch of giants dunk a basketball does not interest me, at all. Most all players 6'5" & above could dunk easily, even in high school. Saw a few, under 6', who could also dunk. But, for those who like to watch it, I suppose it is a form of entertainment, for them.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
If you’re interested in great white college Basketball players from yesteryear, check out Bill Walton.
Yeah, I remember the name, & seeing pics of him. Have not seen his name listed as the greatest player of all time, tho.

But, I don't have anything else I wanna do right now. So, I'll look at some Bill Walton videos.

OK, I checked out some BW videos.

The Bill Walton story is a sad one. Without all the injuries, he would have been one of the best big men of all time.

I remember what's it's like to play against a guy who is 6' 11" tall. We did that in my junior year of high school. No chance of getting a shot anywhere close to the goal, & no chance of getting a rebound. We had a pretty good team. But we didn't have a chance against the giant.

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-03-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
Great player, terrible commentator. He's the reason I hated the Lakers in the early 2000's. Turned every game he commentated off as soon as I heard his voice.

1987 Pontiac Grand Prix - Sage/Sage/Sage - GM 305/Th200-4r

2004 Pontiac GTO - IBM over Black - LSx 440/6-speed/4.10 SRA - Single Digit Stick Shift
Old 04-03-2020, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In Feb, I had a reverse shoulder replacement of my right shoulder. Then, fairly quickly they determined that the shoulder had developed an infection called c-Acne. Soooo, I got a picc line and 3 weeks worth of intravenous antibiotics. As I was beginning to ease back into a few hours of work, a few days a week we get hit with Covid which shut both our wholesale and retail jewelry businesses. So, you might say I’ve been stuck at home now for two months already. I’ve been going in a couple of days a week to pay a few bills and payroll and then going back home and avoiding any contact with “outsiders”. My doc and a number of other folks have told me NOT to get this thing. Given my current health issues, radiation that took out a small section of my left lung a decade ago and my having had pneumonia a couple of times, I’d probably not last long.
That said, I’ve piddled in the yard a good bit and my wife’s 2012 Highlander (cream puff. just like new) has been washed waxed door jambs cleaned inside vacuumed windows done leather cleaned treated sunroof serviced etc.
Good shoulder therapy.
For the next month?
Dunno.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D4DB0F5C-F894-4D07-817F-249643530FDE.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	536292  

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 04-03-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Senior Chief

I'm in auto parts, so I'm still working everyday. We supply the State Hwy department and the local Alcoa plant.

I am getting more work done on the Grand Prix at night now. Waiting for my body man to tell me he is ready.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:50 PM

I just got a couple water seal crocks and am going to try some fermented veggies. Also got a sous vide machine to try out. I plan to ride out the apocalypse fat and happy.