THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mass = run by leftist D's with high taxes and zero respect for the 2nd Amendment or individual liberties.

If given a choice between the two, and only the two, Arizona all the way baby.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Tucson

My Native State = Arizona

I have traveled every state in the lower (48) and actually take the time for two lane travel.

Given that choice - Arizona.

Tucson on average is 10 degrees cooler on most days than Phoenix - the neighborhoods have character - the music scene & arts are vibrant.

You have Tombstone ( my favorite southern AZ town ) along with the neighboring area.

Jim

Old 04-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would vote for AZ as well- especially if the salary is the same

Old 04-04-2020, 08:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Why would anyone go to Taxachusas.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:45 AM

Well... Mass can offer a lot. Figure from that area you can hit the coast or the mountains in an easy day trip! You can also enjoy Boston if you like people, sports, city life... if that's your thing. If you like rural spots just head north an in very short order you will run out of people. Some of the best seafood in the world. Housing costs are high, taxes are high, and if your not an liberal... well... let's just say... not everyone is. All new rules if you're a gun owner. And if you're a deer hunter get a bow if you don't have one. I live in Western MA. Much different. There really isn't a north, south. It's an east v. west thing. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:20 AM
Senior Chief

what ever you do stay the hell out of rhode island because you get taxed on everything to keep welfare thriving and the [thems] crooks in office. i just bought a house in northern nh and its peanuts for taxes lets just say between the property taxes and vehicle taxes i will be saving is just about 15.000 a year. the air is clean and the people are not ignorant, at least i have not seen it yet.as far as the weather it is changing not as bad as say 10,20 years ago.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I live in central NC, and I occasionally travel for business. I have been in both the Boston area in winter and summer, and Tuscon in mid-April.

The Boston area was really nice in summer, it was warm during the day and cooled off nicely in the evening. But Mass in winter totally sucks. It was cold and windy, and snow was piled up everywhere.

I spent a week in Tuscon in the early 2000s. I was working for a telecom equipment provider and various markets had issues with the climate control systems on our outdoor telecom cabinets. My role was to train technicians on equipment upgrades, then follow up their work to verify the upgrades were properly installed. Temperatures during the day were already in the mid- 90s and it was only April. Yeah it was a dry heat, but it was still hot. We were outside the entire time working on equipment cabinets at the base of a cell phone tower, and there is little or no shade in the Tuscon area. I can't imagine working outside during in the summer in Tuscon. But once the sun went down, it cooled off nicely.

I'm not sure I could live either place, I'm used to a lot of green and moderate temperatures. If I was forced to choose, I would probably take Tuscon for the lower taxes and the nice evening temperatures.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. Lots of responses and opinions. Thanks for everything guys. Just some background I grew up in southwest desert Texas so I’m no stranger to lack of trees and 90+ in the shade nor good Mexican food. I spent 10 years in California, 5 of them outside San Francisco so I know all about outrageous rents and taxes from that perspective (and political opinions, I’m great at smiling and nodding while keeping my mouth shut ;-) ). I currently live in East Tennessee so we get something resembling winter here a few days a year where I shovel snow, and they started salting out here 4 years ago. I love trees and water but am not a fan of the humidity or weeks of rain keeping me inside that we have here - something tells me up north won’t be that much better on that front.

I definitely would not want to go to RI or CT! Way too much expense and people!

I’m not a fan of living in a big city or suburb, I like being out a ways away from neighbors. My only real hobby is playing with old cars (sadly). If I’m up north is it possible to work in winter from a heated and insulated garage or is that a fools errand? I see the diesel truck guys in Canada getting out and fixing their stuff in lean-tos and snow in the dead of winter but I’m not sure I’m man enough for that...

I’m leaning towards AZ but the work in MA seems more interesting and challenging, I’m looking to get in a place and retire as I’m done hopping jobs so I only want to do this once.

Thanks for all the opinions guys, it’s good to get perspective.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One other thing for Arizona,,, No concealed carry permit required!

POCI.org
Old 04-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post

Tucson on average is 10 degrees cooler on most days than Phoenix

Jim
This could tip the scales towards Tucson for me - I didn’t realize that they didn’t have Phoenix’ awful weather. (Usually 30 straight days over 110 degrees every summer!). I enjoy 100 degree days, but 110 is too much.

Still don’t know if I can get over the “desert landscape,” though.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been in both the south west and the Gulf coast during the summer and I would no more drive my GTO then than I would drive in NE in the winter. Unless there was no snow. I have driven my cars in all months of the year just for a ride or to club meetings. Also if it matters NH gun laws are very lenient. Live in NH and work in MA. You can have best of both worlds. We have large house lots and privacy. We are the "Live Free or Die" state.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MA is nice, but taxes and politics are rampant.

I'd suggest NH right on the MA border.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like AZ ever since I lived in Huachuca City many years ago. Have relatives down there an visit as often as I can. I really like the wide open spaces once you get away from the cities. Plenty of recreational areas! If I didn't have family and grandkids here in the midwest, I'd be down there in a heartbeat.

George

Old 04-05-2020, 12:47 AM
Senior Chief

I have a friend that just moved back to Ohio from Tucson after 7 years and he’s relieved . It’s a matter of personal expectance . People keep talking about winters , I don’t mind winter at all . I’m no stranger to desert life and I think it sucks , as did my friend . If you enjoy the color brown and oppressive heat - you’re in paradise ! The dry heat argument is lame - hot is hot and it’s miserable .

Old 04-05-2020, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a theory...

I don't know if there's any science to back me up, but I think people have one of two basic metabolism's. Either you're a furnace like my son (hot all the time, kicking covers off at night, fans blowing on you, etc...), or you're a Popsicle like me (always cold, under the blankets, etc...)

When I finally figured this out, I understood why I was so pissy 8-9 months of the year in winter climates. So as soon as I could, I moved to the desert heat, and Wow! What a difference. If ever I do get too hot (which is rare), I cool off very quickly once inside the A/C. But once I get cold, it takes me a loooooong time to warm back up. And I'm useless when frozen.

With each passing year, my heels dig in deeper. Now you couldn't get me out of the desert with a stick of dynamite.

So opinions aside, simply decide if you're a Furnace or a Popsicle. The answer will follow naturally, and you will truly find your happy place.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 04-05-2020, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mass. is no place for a SW Texas boy. Go to AZ.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have lived in the Boston area all of my life.
Arizona wins.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out this page for an idea what's in the state.

https://www.facebook.com/arizonaonly...ref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARBUrRmQ4fcnYW044nNXmgb4XtsDBMg4GSVQ71DOHV14S_ Le5OsOv9kvxlOqCZb3z07vF2Lv2hW-ZJtpdQ4179Cno850q3rvlclYNni8B25UGAVFSzrCt1hBIXFYVB Twb8ZFEcW5m3KJ9PtcwhJwTdjRephwFDlP2KUS04jpMITl81pU EEceqFpN5lHBM3rIKXzkCkAp8gZBIQLXHxg955wWQel2-1lYHXHI9tB4rb9M4A0wkyyqCH8cw1qLSt8uVwXUMJ8099QTv2d PC9NeJlpiDvIcUztKVGfNHHrTP3pwZxi1ALdIRhDg1-T6b5drLm-MkAuECU3-MS998PHlDIu0w3hScf6sGCr3GG7wobdk3rmmdLDNdPL-i64

POCI.org
Old 04-06-2020, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do like Mister Pontiac says. Decide which you can tolerate better the heat or the cold and then decide. I don't think there is a better place than New England. But, if you can't stand winter its not for you. If you like skiing, snow boarding or snowmobiling you are all set. Otherwise you have to spend the winter working on your car(s) and shooting the **** with your buddies. Good luck on your choice. If you do come join one of the Pontiac clubs.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
If I’m up north is it possible to work in winter from a heated and insulated garage or is that a fools errand? I see the diesel truck guys in Canada getting out and fixing their stuff in lean-tos and snow in the dead of winter but I’m not sure I’m man enough for that....
In my younger/poorer days, I have changed oil outside, laying on my back in -40 degree (F) weather.

I now have an 80,000 BTU infrared tube heater in my shop and can make it warm enough to work in a Tshirt when it's -40.

I have lived in both West TX (Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo) and in Northern MA (Ft Devens near Ayer, MA).

Personally, I preferred MA over TX, but I am a Furnace, not a Popsicle.

If I was in AZ, I'd have to have an air conditioned shop because I couldn't deal with the summer heat. I'd also have to add AC to my GTO to be able to drive the car in May, June, July, August and September.

That said, I was in Phoenix in November to attend a MN Wild hockey game and the NASCAR race. Weather was really pretty nice for a Furnace...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 4.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	536497