Midwest Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM

Default Racers and Pit Crew at Norwalk

I want to give a shout out to all the racers and pit crew/spouses that we talked to at Norwalk this year. I have been coming to this event for the last 11 years with my husband and have gotten more out of the people at this event than I do anywhere else. I have a '68 firebird that I am in the process of building so, I definitely was interested in the setups on those cars but, I also asked questions about other cars. There were a couple of jerks, but about 90% of the people that my husband or I talked to were really nice and answered our questions. I really appreciated the people who didn't just blow me off and treat me like the "spouse" of a racer because I really do love (for the most part) working on my car. I definitely am not going to be one of "those girls" who have their car built for them and not know anything about it! I also noticed going through the pits and seeing racers help other racers with their cars. One racer even helped my husband with his car. Sorry, I don't know anyone's handles but I thank you all for your advice and for taking time to answer someone's questions! Norwalk is always a pleasure to go to and it's nice to know that Pontiac people are the best!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hands down the best Pontiac event in the Nation.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 what Dil said.

Norwalk is the epitome' of Pontiac shows.

Pontiac people for the most part are the best.

And the pound of ice cream at Norwalk can't be beat either.

BTW, will you have the Bird there next year?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride the Wind View Post
I want to give a shout out to all the racers and pit crew/spouses that we talked to at Norwalk this year. I have been coming to this event for the last 11 years with my husband and have gotten more out of the people at this event than I do anywhere else. I have a '68 firebird that I am in the process of building so, I definitely was interested in the setups on those cars but, I also asked questions about other cars. There were a couple of jerks, but about 90% of the people that my husband or I talked to were really nice and answered our questions. I really appreciated the people who didn't just blow me off and treat me like the "spouse" of a racer because I really do love (for the most part) working on my car. I definitely am not going to be one of "those girls" who have their car built for them and not know anything about it! I also noticed going through the pits and seeing racers help other racers with their cars. One racer even helped my husband with his car. Sorry, I don't know anyone's handles but I thank you all for your advice and for taking time to answer someone's questions! Norwalk is always a pleasure to go to and it's nice to know that Pontiac people are the best!
I do not know who you are and I did not attend this year but, you sound like a credit to your gender. Please encourage other women to be more like you. Women like you are in short supply and badly needed in the hobby. Wishing you and yours well.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
I do not know who you are and I did not attend this year but, you sound like a credit to your gender. Please encourage other women to be more like you. Women like you are in short supply and badly needed in the hobby. Wishing you and yours well.
Thank you very much. I appreciate the credit that you gave me. My husband was shocked that I was into cars and even thought the drag racing he is doing is cool! I don't think I can encourage any women I know to be interested in cars like me. I start talking about cars and I get blank stares. To be honest with you, I can barely stand my own gender. I'd rather talk to guys about stuff than (most the time) meaningless crap that my gender usually gets so worked up about. I do agree that more women should be more knowledgeable about this kind of stuff and help support the muscle era of cars. I started helping my dad work on cars when I was around 5. Growing up, I always wanted an old muscle car. I started out wanting a '65 or '69 Mustang fastback until I met my husband. He has a '68 GTO and I had no idea what the heck it was. He then introduced me to the world of Pontiacs and the Pontiac nationals. I instantly fell in love with the Firebird and the Mustang thoughts were history. I knew how the Camaros looked and didn't like them at all. I thought the front and back end looked dumb. But, the Firebird on the other hand is just my style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

BTW, will you have the Bird there next year?

I wish that my Bird will be there next year! I guess we'll see how far we can get on it before then. I really would like to have it there next year because it drove me crazy to know it was in the garage this year. I know that if not next year, I will definitely have it there in two years! I am pretty much doing a frame off restoration on it so unfortunately it takes time and money. Plus, it doesn't help that I am a woman, so I change my mind on things a thousand times. I think that if I want to make it next year that I will probably do the basic things that make it go down the track and look nice and afterwards spend more to enhance it. And you can't beat the ice cream!

And yes SupergasDil, it is the best Pontiac event in the nation hands down.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You sure your not my wife using a different screen name????
If not, you probably met or talked to her this weekend in the staging lanes or the pits since she was the one racing her car.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
You sure your not my wife using a different screen name????
If not, you probably met or talked to her this weekend in the staging lanes or the pits since she was the one racing her car.
Nope, I'm a different woman. I could have talked to her because I definitely talked to so many different people this year. I have noticed some more woman racing Pontiacs and my husband also said something about it. I believe he mentioned a woman that was in a GTO that he said talked to him and was a good racer. I got to talk to a woman who drove (probably) the slowest Ferio but, was proud of it and loved to be out racing with the guys. A few years back she was in the finals both days and won against some really fast cars. It was amazing. I love knowing that I am not the only woman out there that love their Pontiacs and racing! Most of the women that I talked to that raced actually knew something about their car. Some women you could tell actually worked or asked their husbands/boyfriends/dads a lot of questions about their cars to know them. A couple, however had their husband or dad come over to talk about the cars and I quote "I don't know anything about it; I just race it." I had handful of guys that would just look and talk to my husband so I asked them how well their small tires hooked on the track or why they chose to go with a certain part on their engine setup and etc. I think the look on their face was priceless! Then they would start talking to me about the car.

I don't know if your wife and you have any competition but, I have challenged my husband to a race once it is built and I am settled in!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I don't know if your wife and you have any competition but, I have challenged my husband to a race once it is built and I am settled in!
She'd lose every time...
The picture is the car I built for my wife that she was racing this past weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7100.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	332412  

Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM

rob b are you the one that started the week end very badly with the motor home

Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacchuck View Post
rob b are you the one that started the week end very badly with the motor home
Yep! The wife totaled it on Wednesday. Only brought one car then and went old school tent camping in the pits this year but everything went pretty good considering how it all started. I was in the money (split0 Friday night racing someone else's car and Carole made it to the finals Saturday night (lost) in Street, still hung out with everyone as usual, so all and all it was still a great weekend. Still trying to get caught up on sleep....

Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 PM

we try to find you in the pits but could not did see her kick some a??? so glad the week end end well we will hope fully meet yous next year

Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacchuck View Post
we try to find you in the pits but could not did see her kick some a??? so glad the week end end well we will hope fully meet yous next year
we'll be there!!

Old 08-08-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
She'd lose every time...
Sure.....that's what my husband says! I didn't have the pleasure of talking to your wife but my husband said that is the one he talked to in the staging lanes. It looks like a really nice car. What does she run in a quarter? My husband said that my car can't be faster than his car. It's great that your wife and you had a good time even though your mid week started out bad. That's usually how ours goes. I just say it's the Norwalk curse!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sure.....that's what my husband says! I didn't have the pleasure of talking to your wife but my husband said that is the one he talked to in the staging lanes. It looks like a really nice car. What does she run in a quarter? My husband said that my car can't be faster than his car. It's great that your wife and you had a good time even though your mid week started out bad. That's usually how ours goes. I just say it's the Norwalk curse!
Her car right now runs mid to high 11's. Once she is totally comfortable with it, we'll drop it another second and see how she does. Its a learning curve.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 PM

That's cool! My husband said the same thing. He said the motor set up like it was would probably put me in the mid 12s. I've got some new parts that I wanted to add to it and he thinks it will put me in mid to high 11s. I guess I'll have to get it together to find out. I think that I will be happy with any of that as long as it's not a 15 second car!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's cool! My husband said the same thing. He said the motor set up like it was would probably put me in the mid 12s. I've got some new parts that I wanted to add to it and he thinks it will put me in mid to high 11s. I guess I'll have to get it together to find out. I think that I will be happy with any of that as long as it's not a 15 second car!
I've had just a much fun racing in a 15 second as I have a 10 second car! Just go race and enjoy!