Old 07-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Repro Honeycomb Trim Ring Bad Day

Went for the big hurrah yesterday to mount new addition 15" Honeycombs and new 60's radials. Until Repro trim ring mounting time. Deflated tires, rims flat on floor. Had extra rim for test fitting ring prior to real mount. Two rings went OK. One I can not fit for anything, when you get last clip on, the one across from it pops off under pressure, doesn't matter which clips you do last, always same. So in fear of beating up ring, am returning. I also am returning 4th ring, as it came out of bag with only 3 of 4 clips and was bent to boot. I ordered 2 more rings and probably should have ordered 4 to get two good ones. Never had these issues with GM ones in past, wish they were those.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used a smaller flat bladed screwdriver to gently tap the center portion of the clip spring while pushing the ring against the wheel. Once you get some of the tension released on the center spring, it will pop onto the rim easily.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what are new addition 15" honeycombs? just new to you rims or a new aftermarket rim? i havent been keeping up on new parts released lately.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

78w72, new addition to my world, sorry. They are just old ones redone. Sorry

West Coast GTO, will try your approach. But something wonky on 1 ring, I can get all 4 clips on, just not at same time. When 4th goes on, one across pops off from pressure. But using your point on inner part of clip, I may try some gentle relief bending.

I have 2 rings being shipped, so hope is next week be fully done, one way or another.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

gotcha. my mistake, new addition is different than new edition...

are these for your 72 firebird? i may be wrong but didnt 72's not use a trim ring? honeycombs look great without trim rings too.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
gotcha. my mistake, new addition is different than new edition...

are these for your 72 firebird? i may be wrong but didnt 72's not use a trim ring? honeycombs look great without trim rings too.
I am double incorrect! A 72 non Formy or TA should have 14" honeys like I ran for a while. And yes, no trim ring 72 (for sure on 15's, not sure on 14's). Decided to have fun doing mods I like using factory parts. I actually agree on the no trim ring look being cool. I thought the rings would tie in to my full window trim for a little bling.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This subject is a little confusing so maybe I can help out. In both 1971 and 1972 all 14" honeycombs came with trim rings. During that same period, all 15" honeycombs came without trim rings. That would include all Trans Ams and all Formulas with the optional handling package. Trim rings on 15" honeycombs were not introduced until 1973 and from that point forward, all honeycombs came with trim rings regardless of size.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

THX, Jim. I thought 14's always had rings.

On my saga, I got the 2 additional rings. They both went on easily. I used a modified version of West Coast GTO's advice (THX). After getting three clips on, I gently rubber mallet tapped edge of ring at 4th clip, to bring back in a tiny bit. Then a couple small taps with screwdriver on inner clip, from side, to bring to center a hair. Between both actions, the clip then aligned enough on rim to gloved palm impact on.

The oddball ring that I never could get to fit, is out of round and using careful alignment adjustment like above, I bet I can fit it with some time. I'll keep as spare. Sending the one back that came with 3 of 4 clips out of box (Parts Place part). Out sponsor Ames is great about return FYI.

I'll add pics in a day or few. THX for input, y'all.