THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Impossible and Beyond: How healthy are these meatless burgers?

"The good news: Meatless burgers are a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals"

"The bad news: Meatless burgers are heavily processed and high in saturated fat"

"The bottom line: Meatless burgers are good for the planet, but not always good for our health"

That said, as pointed out in the comments after the article... "NOTHING wrong with Saturated Fat"

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2019081517448

Further, there are shared chemicals in vegan dog food and plant-based burgers.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 08-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just as the taste of the burger is subjective to each individual, so is the saturated fat subject by dieticians and research people.

Ask 5 people, and you'll get 5 different answers.

At 66 YO I'm still in fairly good health, and keep my health in check as well as I can, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-21-2019, 12:22 PM

It seems like this thread is going all over the place so I will add to it.
Anyone watching Alone the TV show where they are in the Arctic? A guy on the show kills a moose and I thought he was home free and going to win the show. I did not realize that moose meat is very lean and does not contain a lot of fat. He did have a coffee can full of liver fat that a wolverine stole for him. The guy has all this moose meat and he is still losing weight. Fat is a very important for our bodies and all people ever hear is how bad fat is. Anyway fat is good for you in moderation of course just like anything else. I am sure that is why impossible burger has fat in it plus fat just makes things taste better. I remember the days when I was younger and my mom would start off cooking breakfast by opening the bucket of lard and throwing it in the warm pan.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Impossible and Beyond: How healthy are these meatless burgers?

"The good news: Meatless burgers are a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals"

"The bad news: Meatless burgers are heavily processed and high in saturated fat"

"The bottom line: Meatless burgers are good for the planet, but not always good for our health"

That said, as pointed out in the comments after the article... "NOTHING wrong with Saturated Fat"

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2019081517448

Further, there are shared chemicals in vegan dog food and plant-based burgers.

Article doesn't mentioned the source of the saturated fat. These things are being marketed as meat substitutes for vegetarians & vegans, so I wonder where that's coming from?

Old 08-26-2019, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

(IM WHOPPER LOCAL UPDATE)

I stopped at the local Burger King yesterday, they had run out of IM patties on Saturday, because they had a rush Saturday with people ordering larger quantities of IM Whoppers than normal for a Saturday, (4 and larger quantities at a time) their truck will come today at around noon.

While I was waiting for my food at the counter 2 more groups of people came in and ordered IM Whoppers. After being told they were out of product , one lady wanted to know if the other BKs in town were out also, because she was going to try the other two locations in town to procure IM Whoppers (gotta have my IM Whopper)….......

I know, they taste terrible, (according to the OP) , I guess people are just wanting terrible food nowadays at a premium price ($1 more than the beef Whopper), and BK can't get enough from their supplier to keep serving the terrible food to their customers...………

I haven't seen BK sell so much of a limited offering sandwich ever since I started frequenting the local BKs in 2001. They are going to have to push the manufacturer to ramp up production of the meatless patties, or they're going to sacrifice business and customers. Not a bad thing if you own BK franchises, or your the parent company, selling terrible food at a premium price, who would have thought?

BTW, Coconut oil and the heme give the fat content to the IM burger. Saturated fat is necessary for sustaining a human body, as with anything too much is unhealthy for anyone.

Checkout YouTube; For the haters, 100 plus reviews, mostly positive for the taste of the plant based Whopper...………….

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 08-26-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Even the CEO of Whole Foods is questioning their health value due to the level of processing required to produce them. And he is a vegan.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/21/whol...ur-health.html

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 08-26-2019, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Reminds me of the ethanol is great for the planet debate, it's not, especially when they distill corn as the source of the ethanol. It takes more energy to distill corn into alcohol than you get from the alcohol. If the feds weren't subsidizing ethanol production it would cost more per BTU than gasoline does.

I really don't care if BK's Whopper is better for the planet when I stop by to eat lunch, I want something in my belly that tastes good. Bonus if it's not worse for me to eat than beef is.

Considering the source of the news, CNBC, I wouldn't put a lot of trust in their reporting accurate facts, fake news and all.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 08-26-2019, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You got me curious so I tried the Impossible Whopper. I do, for heart health reasons, avoid red meat when possible so it was worth a try. I'll preface this with the fact that I have never been a fan of BK and it has been many years since I've been to one. The Impossible was okay. There is so much other stuff on it that the paddy is almost only along for the ride. From what I could tell, I did like the texture and grilled taste of the burger.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wendy's frostys have been proven to contain plastic and carcinogens and I dont care I love them with all my heart and want one right now. FTS

Old 08-26-2019, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
Wendy's frostys have been proven to contain plastic and carcinogens and I dont care I love them with all my heart and want one right now. FTS
Oh really? LOL, where do you get this stuff?

I think you can enjoy your beloved Frosty with no worries about the plastics it contains.

And, for the record, I like 'em too. But they don't contain plastic as part of the ingredients.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had one and it taste's the same to me.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFB400HO View Post
You got me curious so I tried the Impossible Whopper. I do, for heart health reasons, avoid red meat when possible so it was worth a try. I'll preface this with the fact that I have never been a fan of BK and it has been many years since I've been to one. The Impossible was okay. There is so much other stuff on it that the paddy is almost only along for the ride. From what I could tell, I did like the texture and grilled taste of the burger.
I agree that most of the taste is the dressing, thousand island?

Old 08-26-2019, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW64OWNER View Post
I agree that most of the taste is the dressing, thousand island?
Mayo on the Whoppers. The XL sandwich, that made a debut about 3 months ago had thousand island dressing, same as a big mac. BK calls it stacker sauce and it also comes on their stacker sandwich.

BK in the last couple of months did away with the tomato pepper sauce that came on their Cordon Blue chicken sandwich, that stuff was good on anything, I used it for salad dressing on my side salads. Of course with many BK limited time sandwiches, they did away with it after a few months so the sauce disappeared too.

Mayo is the sauce on Whoppers, it has a lot of fat and unnecessary calories, I order my Whoppers with ranch dressing to combat some extra calories that I don't need. It was suggested by BK corporation a few years back to reduce some of the calories, so I tried it and liked it.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 08-26-2019, 08:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bottom line is if you're concerned about eating healthy, you shouldn't eat either of these burgers

Old 08-26-2019, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BK has ham sandwiches, as well as grilled chicken sandwiches and grilled chicken salads, I hardly eat their beef sandwiches every day. No fries, or onion rings at all, no fried chicken, so if I eat a whopper or an IM whopper it's offset by eating better choices the rest of the time. I also reduce the bread on my sandwiches to lose calories, and carbs I don't need.

I'm friends with the owners and the older guy has been with BK for close to 40 years, he does the same thing I do, and either makes his own food with healthier changes, or has he crew make it for him. Same problem he had is eating bad choices and switched to better choices as he aged.

I used to eat whoppers most everyday, it packs weight on quickly. I lost 40 pounds making healthier choices over the past couple years. It's Burger King, and you can have it your way. They love making me special sandwiches or stuff I dream up that's not on their menu…..LOL

1984 Grand Prix

Old 08-26-2019, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Ingredients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
" What is Wendy's Frosty made out of?

The ingredients listed in order of amount used are: milk, sugar, corn syrup, cream, whey, nonfat dry milk, cocoa (processed with alkali), guar gum, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, carrageenan, calcium sulfate, disodium, phosphate, artificial and natural flavoring, vitamin A palmitate. "

Jim

Old 08-27-2019, 05:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
" What is Wendy's Frosty made out of?

The ingredients listed in order of amount used are: milk, sugar, corn syrup, cream, whey, nonfat dry milk, cocoa (processed with alkali), guar gum, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, carrageenan, calcium sulfate, disodium, phosphate, artificial and natural flavoring, vitamin A palmitate. "

Jim
And a ****on of deliciousness!!!!
If they called them tumor frappes and put warnings and a skull&crossbones on the cup, I wouldn't care