THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
can anyone share bigger pictures of the shirts?

Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
When Arnie was injured in the nitrous fire (2003), it was just a week or so before Norwalk so there were collections taken up at Norwalk to help him get back on his feet financially. Since this happened during Norwalk no one was able to react quickly enough to do this. I have no idea of how to do a Go Fund Me collection, but if someone was familiar with how it's done it would be a great gesture to Arnie to have someone do this in his name.

If people will give nearly half a million dollars to a rightfully fired FBI agent, there ought to be enough people to donate a few dollars here and there in the racing community to help someone that is really in need after a fire.
This needs to be bumped

Old 08-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.gofundme.com/c/how-it-works

It would not be appropriate for me to start this. Arnie appears to have some close friends here, that would be more appropriate. Rather than bumping or wondering, how about stepping up?

Old 08-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope he makes out OK this time with Insurance Co. I have met Arnie a few times at Pontiac events, SUCH a nice man.
I am going to buy stuff from his site to help out.
Not sure if Arnie reads this site, but if you do Arnie, Just know we feel for you again and good luck.

Dave

Old 08-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
https://www.gofundme.com/c/how-it-works

It would not be appropriate for me to start this. Arnie appears to have some close friends here, that would be more appropriate. Rather than bumping or wondering, how about stepping up?
Obviously this targeted me, well like Sirrotica, I have no idea how to start one either. However, like the one for Trump's wall, I do know how to donate. So step up.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry it's been awhile for this post. I finally had a chance to talk at length with Arnie. I had made numerous calls to him, but as you can imagine, his plate is pretty full. First and most importantly, his wife Evelyn is home from the rehab. center and is recuperating and building her strength after radiation and chemotherapy. Concerning the barn fire. The cause of the fire has been determined to be the large 800 lb. round bales of hay that were delivered to the farm less than 1/2 hour before the fire started. They were outside the barn waiting to be ground up and blended for feed for the cattle. Huge amounts of rain and then weeks of no rain and intense sun builds tremendous heat inside the bales. Moving them around for delivery punctures areas in the bales allowing oxygen to circulate through them and self-ignite the bales. Apparently fairly common in farming country. (I had no idea). Anyway, most on here probably want to know the damage. Barn was over 100 years old and three stories. It is a total loss. Arnie had old cars, Mostly Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles in the lowest level. Everything in there is a complete loss, nothing can be salvaged. A rare mid-50's Oldsmobile Arnie said had all the sheet metal melted off as if it was never there. Only the frame, engine block and heads remain. I saw that car a few years ago and our crew member, an Oldsmobile freak, was considering buying it for a restoration. There was GTO sheet metal, 69-72 Grand Prix sheet metal as well as rear ends and general parts of all descriptions all a total loss. I was able to obtain an original Boss Bird ram Air V header Arnie ran about 2 years ago when I visited. It was in that pile of vintage parts. I restored the header and it will be even more cherished now. The main floor was Arnie's shop. Lots of tools and memories in there, all gone. From an economic standpoint, the main floor had the entire stock of "Arnie Mart" Hundreds, if not thousands of items Arnie would bring to events like Norwalk to sign, sell and meet with fans. Of course, he would often have to buy huge quantities of many items especially die-casts to have a run made and all that inventory is gone. The economic impact of the product lost will never be able to be recovered. Finally, the third floor was primarily an area for his daughters while they were growing up. He said a large area had been converted for their gymnastics activities as they grew up. Sounds like it was pretty extensive with balance beams, trampolines, vault, uneven parallel bars, over a dozen Olympic size floor exercise mats and so forth. Also a total loss. Fortunately, his house escaped major damage.
There is plenty of reason for Arnie to be really down. But as I have said a thousand times, there isn't a more determined man on the planet that I have ever met. I just don't think he is ready to hang it up yet.

We would like to do something more for Arnie than we have so far, just haven't figured out what yet. Wanted people on the message board to know that EVERYTHING you may have purchased from the Boss Bird pits at Norwalk, shirts, blown-up parts ect. we gave the money to Arnie after the event. So if you did buy something from us you helped Arnie in some small way. It was just a few hundred dollars, but it should help him a little. Open for some ideas to get him some financial help, but certainly don't feel obligated. Looks like any insurance help will take an army of lawyers and years of litigation as expected. A bunch of insurance companies and individuals pointing fingers at each other and passing the blame around......Typical.

Last edited by mgarblik; 08-21-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:46 PM
Suspended

Sad

Old 08-22-2019, 01:19 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Thanks Mike, for the lucid report.

And many thanks to you and Eric and the whole crew for your dedication to Arnie and his legacy.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

The Oldsmobiles were a 1958 88 and a 61 wagon. Burning the body off a 58 was an accomplishment, they were tanks. It was super rusty though. The 1961 wagon being lost is a tragedy.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 08-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wow.

thanks for the update.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Looks like any insurance help will take an army of lawyers and years of litigation as expected. A bunch of insurance companies and individuals pointing fingers at each other and passing the blame around......Typical.
His first party insurance coverage should help with the barn, tools and some contents but collectibles might be limited. Hopefully adequate coverage was purchased.

I'm not close geographically but would still volunteer time to guide Arnie with his property claim, if he needs assistance.

Once the claim is settled with his insurer, they can then duke it out with the responsible parties, if identified, to attempt recovery.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What a shame. Hay bales catching fire is well known, and once on fire, pretty much cant be put out.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.