Old 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Outer tail panel to quarter panel attachment question

would it be better to replace the outer tail panel first before the quarter panels or vice versa?

Old 07-30-2019, 07:24 PM
Senior Chief

If you are doing full quarters, a small portion of the quarter sits between the tail panel and trunk drops so keep that in mind. Either way you will have to determine your gaps and measurements by using one or the other as the base.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default sounds like either or.......

originally I was thinking quarters first, but now I am thinking the outer tail panel first but not welding it to the inner tail panel until after the quarters are installed. then I can move that small area that tucks together at the back like your talking about. that sound right?

I posted this question down here because the 70-73 tail panels are specific to these years.

I have a restoration "build" thread up in the body shop thread section titled:
floor/torque box/frame rail. iv'e posted lots of pics and info to what i'm doing.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

That works but make sure to do one quarter first then get it welded to where it fits good. After that I would do the other quarter so you don't have too much loose trying to find the right fit.You will have the one quarter to use as a baseline to fit everything.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a filler panel between the rear initial panel and the quarter and drop off. The reproduction that's sold is a Camaro part. Better make one if you need to replace it. Pur tail panel on first and just tack in place, leave the trunk lid on and part of the gutter that's not on the quarter

Old 08-02-2019, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default so these camaro fillers won't fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
There is a filler panel between the rear initial panel and the quarter and drop off. The reproduction that's sold is a Camaro part. Better make one if you need to replace it. Pur tail panel on first and just tack in place, leave the trunk lid on and part of the gutter that's not on the quarter
anyone have a picture of the 70-73 firebird filler?

I bought these via the firebird catalog, when received they said camaro but with so many camaro firebird same type parts, thought nothing of it until now. so these will not fit?

I had so much rust in that area the originals were rotted gone I now know.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I may have a pic of one in the car from underside view. I will post this weekend

Old 08-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
anyone have a picture of the 70-73 firebird filler?

I bought these via the firebird catalog, when received they said camaro but with so many camaro firebird same type parts, thought nothing of it until now. so these will not fit?

I had so much rust in that area the originals were rotted gone I now know.
The crease is wrong and , its all wrong, doesn't fit unless you "heat it and beat it"

Old 08-03-2019, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thank you for the info formulabruce, would be great if you have a pic of where they locate.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

is this the filler piece you speak of? its in the upper area there and fills in the quarter to tail panel area I noticed. if it is i'm in great shape as i'm not removing any of this area. only doing the quarter skin and only splicing in the bottom of the outer tail panel.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
is this the filler piece you speak of? its in the upper area there and fills in the quarter to tail panel area I noticed. if it is i'm in great shape as i'm not removing any of this area. only doing the quarter skin and only splicing in the bottom of the outer tail panel.
Yup thats it! Good luck