Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-21-2019, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Compression test

Since I couldn't get my leak down tester working, I tried a comp test.

1...200 2...185.....re-test will oil.....194

3...194 6...195

5...200 8...194

7...185......not sure this is accurate, couldn't get
the hose on there right.

Reason for this test, seem to be using quite a bit of oil...……..smoking under hard accel, only a little upon start up.

PCV seems to be working, put a q-tip in the hose and maybe a little mark on the tip.

Motor is a 463, kre heads ported by SD 295....OF cam 1.65 rockers....627/632 lift.

Comp is 10.6...……..pistons are SRP

#'s seem kind of high to me...………..but this is the way the motor has been running since 2010...……….seems to run on the 91 octane, every now and then I throw couple gallons of race gas in it to see if it runs any better...……..hard to tell the difference.

Was gonna throw this thread unto my old one from last week...….KRE heads % HF tester, but it seems after a week, I find im not getting any interest.

So sorry for the new post. On test, motor was warm, throttle on...…...6 cranks each, so im thinking I got this right.

Seeing im using oil, and thinking im still a little rich, thinking these #'s are high because carbon build up on the pistons tops. ?????

This is the 2nd time I had this motor re-built since 2007...…...im living on SS, hoping I don't have to do this again, so any tips on what to do.

Thanks

Rich

Old 08-21-2019, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to Performance Trends Engine Analyzer you should have around 186 psi...…

Was the cam degreed?

Old 08-21-2019, 10:02 PM
Senior Chief

I’m no expert, but smoke on startup could be valve seals. How many miles on the heads?

Old 08-21-2019, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where is your PCV pulling from?

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 08-21-2019, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
According to Performance Trends Engine Analyzer you should have around 186 psi...…

Was the cam degreed?
72...according to my paperwork Lobe Separation Angle 112

Intake Centerline Spec 108...Actual 109

Many Birds...……...heads are 9 years old, about 12,000 or so miles on them.

Rich

Old 08-21-2019, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
Where is your PCV pulling from?
From a stock valley pan...…...well a repo stock valley pan. I had my wife follow me and had blue smoke coming out from about 2 grand to 5 grand. If driving normal she couldn't see any..

The pcv is new, cant find any oil in the tube connecting to the fitting for the tri power in back of the center carb. The pcv is in the rear of the valley pan.

Was thinking of throwing in a qt of the marvel mystery oil, and see if that helps any.

ta man...……….my set up is almost like your old one...…….except you probably didn't have this many issues. lol

Rich

Old 08-21-2019, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
72...according to my paperwork Lobe Separation Angle 112

Intake Centerline Spec 108...Actual 109

Many Birds...……...heads are 9 years old, about 12,000 or so miles on them.

Rich
specs I ran were 109 ICL and 113lsa.
With 112 it's 186psi...….

Old 08-21-2019, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
From a stock valley pan...…...well a repo stock valley pan. I had my wife follow me and had blue smoke coming out from about 2 grand to 5 grand. If driving normal she couldn't see any..

The pcv is new, cant find any oil in the tube connecting to the fitting for the tri power in back of the center carb. The pcv is in the rear of the valley pan.

Was thinking of throwing in a qt of the marvel mystery oil, and see if that helps any.

ta man...……….my set up is almost like your old one...…….except you probably didn't have this many issues. lol

Rich
Mine did run pretty clean..I did have an issue of the PCV valve drawing oil ..but that was from an All Pontiac cast valley pan with no baffle.
One place where oil could be drawn would be, if your heads are similar , are the intake ports where the valve cover bolts protrude through . I've never had that issue but its possible.
With that much oil use it should show up on the sparkplugs .. may help narrow down whats going on? A leakdown test would help for sure.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 08-22-2019, 05:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why did the motor need to be rebuilt the first time , did you have broken rings from a bad tune?

When valve seals are bad and oil is up to temp the Exh will puff smoke at idle or when you on the road and you let off the throttle.

Have you had the valve covers off lately and if so do the valve cover bolt holes go right thru into the Intake port?

If so how did you reseal them and also note that sealer can brake down with time when exposed to fuel or fuel vapors.

Same deal with rocker studs!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-22-2019, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Rich

Hi Rich:: I have a friend with his Chevy 400 that was doing this. He did mess around with the PCV system, but can't remember the deal. He did install a vacuum pump and oil consumption has gone away. Oh, he did change his valve seals, and that solved his issues.. I remember him complaining about the catch can filling up faster than it should. now all seems good.

Maybe like his pulling oil through the valve seals.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Comp is 10.6...……..pistons are SRP

#'s seem kind of high to me...………..but this is the way the motor has been running since 2010...……….seems to run on the 91 octane, every now and then I throw couple gallons of race gas in it to see if it runs any better...……..hard to tell the difference.

Rich
Recipe for detonation and eventual parts failure.

I have no luck with making a 10.6 run on 91.

If I did run 91 I bet I would be in your position.

So I never run it. I run 93 with a bottle of octane booster.

Even tried a big cam. Still detonated with 91.

Didn't try rejetting the carb too. Just went back with the smaller cam because I liked where it put the power band.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What do your spark plugs look like?

Old 08-22-2019, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your getting excess oil into the cylinders from any unintended source thrn it's not gonna matter if you have only 8.5 comp and 93 octane fuel your going to have atleast some ping going on and if your tune is not right then your up into detonating.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
If your getting excess oil into the cylinders from any unintended source thrn it's not gonna matter if you have only 8.5 comp and 93 octane fuel your going to have atleast some ping going on and if your tune is not right then your up into detonating.
I would think the lack of octane came first, then the damage, then the oil usage.

I have always been extra careful. I watch my plugs like a hawk and listen like an owl. It has kept me out of trouble with all my old cars for over 30 years now.

The last time I ran 87 octane alone in my old Pontiacs is when I built the 428 with 6X heads, low compression, so I could use nitrous. Just wanted low compression to make absolutely sure there was no detonation because detonation is an explosion with nitrous.
Turned out that a low compression 428 does really good on the street with crappy gas. Wasn't slow. Ran a TON of nitrous through it at the track, drove it on the street for 10 years and sold it running great.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes!, like I have been saying for a long time if you have little experience with getting air and fuel ratios where they need to be even on just a true street only / everyday motor then your better off with a big cid motor with 8.8 comp and then running a good amount of vacuum advance to make up for throttle responce due to the lower comp!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Yes!, like I have been saying for a long time if you have little experience with getting air and fuel ratios where they need to be even on just a true street only / everyday motor then your better off with a big cid motor with 8.8 comp and then running a good amount of vacuum advance to make up for throttle responce due to the lower comp!
Well yeah, there's no replacement for displacement!

I see these guys asking about running 10.6 recipes and cringe.

And you can't hardly ever turn that train around here.

It's always high compression, big cam, and a huge slug o fuel.

So then you have a gorilla on the street when you really wanted a cheetah.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly why I tried to get the guy with the #12 heads this week to swap them out.

It's so much easier with lower compression.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I could go on and on....

The guy I bought my 67 from put a lot of money into the 400 build in it.

A 400 with round port Edelbrock heads.

He uses the 72cc heads when the 87ccs were right there as a choice.

So now I have 10.5 to 1 and dealing with that on a strictly street car.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you do go on & on & on.... the OP didnt mention detonation at all, hes asking about oil burning.

countless people run 10.6 or higher with alum heads & 91 & even 89... myself included. i run the same 72cc e-heads you have at 10.75:1 & it runs perfectly fine on 89/91 with zero detonation. cliff is at 11:1 & can run 87 with zero detonation. how is that possible?

correction- you run TWO bottles of octane booster per tank! & the 703 is not a "big" cam. keep it real man!

please stop posting crap like this telling everyone that 10-10.6 & alum heads is a recipe for detonation just because you cant get your engine to run on anything but 93 & 2 bottles of booster & overly retarded timing. its 100% not true.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
you do go on & on & on.... the OP didnt mention detonation at all, hes asking about oil burning.

countless people run 10.6 or higher with alum heads & 91 & even 89... myself included. i run the same 72cc e-heads you have at 10.75:1 & it runs perfectly fine on 89/91 with zero detonation. cliff is at 11:1 & can run 87 with zero detonation. how is that possible?

correction- you run TWO bottles of octane booster per tank! & the 703 is not a "big" cam. keep it real man!

please stop posting crap like this telling everyone that 10-10.6 & alum heads is a recipe for detonation just because you cant get your engine to run on anything but 93 & 2 bottles of booster & overly retarded timing. its 100% not true.
There are a few others here that keep it real like I do;

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
The amount of CR all being equal can really change depending on where you live and the quality of true buy anywhere pump gas.Out here in SoCal the quality sucks!Our 91 piss gas is hard pressed to work well with iron heads at 9.5.Really hot days,bumper to bumper traffic can be a deal breaker.FWIW,Tom

Last edited by TAQuest; 08-22-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Took out the cuss words. lol