THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
Picture of the OLD Beast
Nice saw. Introduced in '74, so it's going to be 50 years old before much longer.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting thread!

I just had to clean out my mother in-laws back garage. I found a late 60's early 70's Pioneer (Outboard Marine?) 650 chainsaw. Don't know much about it yet & not sure if I am going to get it running or what to do with it just yet. Looks all original, great compression but no spark. Looks like a Beast! I removed the Bar & Chain as they were rusted up a bit.

Can anyone share any info on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8170.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	498822   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8171.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	498823  

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 11-27-2018, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
Interesting thread!

I just had to clean out my mother in-laws back garage. I found a late 60's early 70's Pioneer (Outboard Marine?) 650 chainsaw. Don't know much about it yet & not sure if I am going to get it running or what to do with it just yet. Looks all original, great compression but no spark. Looks like a Beast! I removed the Bar & Chain as they were rusted up a bit.

Can anyone share any info on this?
Interesting saw. 103cc. Manufactured '64-'76. Doesn't look like it's a very valuable saw -- here's one on eBay for $175. Not running. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintag...Du0N:rk:1:pf:0

Before you dig into it, I'd put a gauge on it and test the compression. Anything over 150 is great. 120 - 150 should be fine. 100-120 is weak, but may still run. Less than 100 and probably won't run at all. You should also be able to pull the muffler and eyeball the piston to see if it's scored.

If you can get the flywheel off, and clean the points, I'd be willing to bet that would solve your problem with no spark. FYI - taking the flywheel off usually calls for a specialty puller, but you may be able to get it off without one. Not familiar at all with Pioneer saws, so not sure what your chances would be.

Once you have spark, new fuel lines and filter and a carb kit would probably get it running again. Obviously, at this time, you'd have a few $ and a LOT of hours sunk into it (unless you decide not to clean off 50 year old caked on grime), which isn't always great when you have an obsolete chainsaw that's worth $150-$200.

Good luck!

Scott

Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pioneer was an independent chain saw company and made a quality product. Yours looks like a fairly early model from the blower housing. From what I can see, looks like a Tiloston carburetor. Parts are likely available for it. Ignition system parts may be an issue. If the points are unique and in really bad shape, that could be an issue. The magneto, likewise, if not usable could be a tough find. Pioneer was bought by Husqvarna in the 70's and Pioneer quit producing under their name in the mid 80's I think. If the power head is OK, and you can sand the points and get some ignition, I don't think the carb or carb parts will be a big issue. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I just had to clean out my mother in-laws back garage. I found a late 60's early 70's Pioneer (Outboard Marine?) 650 chainsaw.
I think you need to build a vintage go kart with that engine.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm an Echo fan myself, but like any chainsaw without a chain brake.

My 702VL with a 36" bar, not real collectable or valuable, but looks impressive sitting there.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty77SE View Post
I have this chain saw from 1941. It’s canadian, made in Vancouver and used to make the Canadian rail system.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...0&d=1543198810

I've this chainsaw. It looks like one mean ugly mother. It could have been made for a horror movie.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
I'm an Echo fan myself, but like any chainsaw without a chain brake.

My 702VL with a 36" bar, not real collectable or valuable, but looks impressive sitting there.
Nice looking saw! Only Echo's I have are the CST610EVL's - twin cylinders. Finishing up a nice one now.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:36 PM

Yea, I have a couple of saws. Both are David Bradley. They use Tecumseh engines. One has an AH81. 130cc. The other has an AH47. 77cc
Big saw is direct drive, the small saw has a reduction drive. They just have exhaust directors(no mufflers). Really loud!! Both run great!

Old 11-28-2018, 05:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Nice looking saw! Only Echo's I have are the CST610EVL's - twin cylinders. Finishing up a nice one now.

Post up a pic when you're done! Also like to see pics of the diesels.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 Poncho View Post
Yea, I have a couple of saws. Both are David Bradley. They use Tecumseh engines. One has an AH81. 130cc. The other has an AH47. 77cc
Big saw is direct drive, the small saw has a reduction drive. They just have exhaust directors(no mufflers). Really loud!! Both run great!
Lots of love in the vintage saw community for David Bradleys and the AH engines; just never something I have collected.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
Post up a pic when you're done! Also like to see pics of the diesels.
Here's an older pic of it. Since this was taken, I replaced the broken bottom handle.

Old 12-25-2021, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bumping an old thread with an update. I have gradually been selling off my collection to find car stuff. Still have about 30 left to sell.

At this point, I plan to keep 4 Stihls to use - a 020 Super top handle that I rebuilt for those rare times when I find myself in a tree. An 026 Pro that I rebuilt and tweaked a bit - base gasket delete and muffler mod. Running 3/8" chain on an 18" bar. And an 044 Magnum that I went through, added a thinner base gasket, and modded the muffler. It'll wear a 24" Sugihara bar most of the time, but I have a 28" Stihl bar if I need it. Both running 3/8" chain. The last saw in the lineup is an 076 Super that I still need to rebuild. It'll normally have a 36" bar, but I have something longer in the garage; maybe 48" GB?

Old 12-25-2021, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can’t remember what brand this was but I worked on it a year ago for a friend to get it running. Tons of torque and really loud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B6F31C8-AFF9-4930-A65D-D7EA72BFD195.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	580623  

Old 12-26-2021, 03:38 PM

Thanks for bumping this up. Bulletproof. Your keepers are all good choices in saws. I've personally run all the models and their all formidable performers. Currently have 1 020 and 2 200T's Stilhs as.trim saws and 1 044 running a 28" bar. Like to run a 14" bar on the 200T to get a bit more chain speed. Also in the vintage, have a 056 Super with a 36" bar. Just got this one running real well.
My favorite all around ground saw is a Husky 562 XP with a 24" bar. This saw is the newest I have and it rips through anything that its put into. The largest is an 090 Stihl with a 48".bar that hasn't been used in many years. The 066 Magnum with a 36" bar can handle most everything even if the base cut has to be double cut. Have some.old Jonsereds too. Will probably thin out more of the lesser used saws later on.
The old Echo 610 brings back memories of a 550EV I bought new.in 88. I wore that saw out in 2 years. Lost compression as we used it to buck down brush in the dump truck . It was a smooth running saw just lacking in power when big hardwood came into play.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eiseman View Post
Thanks for bumping this up. Bulletproof. Your keepers are all good choices in saws. I've personally run all the models and their all formidable performers. Currently have 1 020 and 2 200T's Stilhs as.trim saws and 1 044 running a 28" bar. Like to run a 14" bar on the 200T to get a bit more chain speed. Also in the vintage, have a 056 Super with a 36" bar. Just got this one running real well.
My favorite all around ground saw is a Husky 562 XP with a 24" bar. This saw is the newest I have and it rips through anything that its put into. The largest is an 090 Stihl with a 48".bar that hasn't been used in many years. The 066 Magnum with a 36" bar can handle most everything even if the base cut has to be double cut. Have some old Jonsereds too. Will probably thin out more of the lesser used saws later on.
The old Echo 610 brings back memories of a 550EV I bought new.in 88. I wore that saw out in 2 years. Lost compression as we used it to buck down brush in the dump truck . It was a smooth running saw just lacking in power when big hardwood came into play.
I really like the lineup, but the 044 was a last minute substitution. I did a complete NOS rebuild on an 038 Magnum and had the cases powder coated, but it was too darn nice when I was done with it. Brought real good $ on eBay; went to a collector in Italy that has purchased from me in the past.

I've had a few 045/056's, including a few 056 Magnums, but they're all done and with new owners now.

The only Hooskies that I've ever had have been the really ancient (1950's) MS90's. Picked up a few of these when I was living in Europe, but they're gone now.

I finished an 066 a few years ago that I bought as a box of parts for $150. Came out really nice, but it was odd man out since I have an 044 and an 076 Super, and don't necessarily need something in the middle.

If that 090 is gathering dust and you'd consider selling, please send me a message. I run the 1106/1109 series group on Facebook and I'm always in the market for a good 090.

Tell me about your Jonsereds. I was hardcore into J'reds when I was living in Europe. I'm slowly selling them off, but I still have about a dozen silver tops. Been trying to find a top cover for a 110 if you know anyone who might have one or a 110 parts saw.