67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce
Default 69 Wiring Manual PDF

Does anybody have a digital copy of the 1969 wiring manual that they'd be willing to share?

While I'm not too cheap to actually just buy this, I'm under some time crunch and don't have time before the car needs to be at the upholsterer to purchase and receive the manual.

I took out the original dash harness yesterday and due to it being completely mangled by previous owners, it's not really helping my identify several of the pieces of wiring in the M&H harness I purchased.

Considering the car has been without a radio during my entire ownership, I'm assuming some of what I'm seeing will be radio related.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These specifically are the areas I have concern with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	540586

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	540585

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	540584

On the first image, my assumption is that the Yellow/Grey with connector pigtail is radio, orange with black is cigarette lighter and gay with the spring cup is glove box light.

The loom towards the top of the image, I believe the light socket is for the console gauge selector light. I'm drawing a blank on the brown with connector and the orange/black with the hook terminal.

The car is an AC car with auto from the factory. Although the AC is no longer in the car, I purchased that wiring harness for sameness.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:29 PM
Senior Chief

http://thefirstgensite.com/html/69wirindex.html

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 05-19-2020, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1st picture

orange and black ....glove box lite power
brown ..... heater switch power
gray ..... illumination of heater control
yellow gray ....plugs into the front speaker plug that plugs into the radio= 2 radio plugs unlike a 68

picture 2
glove box lite power

picture 3
heater switch power and glove box lite power

console harness is seperate

Old 05-20-2020, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Howdy everyone, I'm back with a couple more questions. You guys were a great help earlier.

There's a couple other connections that apparently I didn't document well and have no idea where they are being connected to.

The first is a dark brown wire with red connector. I believe this is probably for an option my car doesn't have as it is tied to the harness loom and was also done that way on the original harness. It was not hooked to anything on the original harness either.

Second is an orange and black wire with a blue connector. I believe this is for the clock, which my car does not have, so I would leave it unhooked

The big one that I just have no clue on is the large 10 gauge solid orange wire with a black connector that allows for other connectors to be added. On the wiring schematics I have, I can't see to trace where this actually goes, other than it appears to be part of the ignition?

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	541314

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	541315

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	541316

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-29-2020, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

on my beaters
the brown ... well I cant ever remember any of my rigs having anything plugged into that either
orange is full time hot as far as I know anywhere on the car ,,, and the one with black stripe you show would power the clock
the other big orange goes thru the firewall to the horn relay

others will probably chime in ,,,, I am not by my manuals

Old 05-29-2020, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was my assumption on the first two wires, I'll just loom those up out of the way.

For the large orange wire, I'm assuming that plugs into the horn relay in the middle and the black wire plugs into the orange connector?

This is probably why my horn has either never worked or worked extremely poorly.

Old 12-10-2023, 03:12 PM

Default More 69 Dash Wiring Questions

Hi all,

In a similar situation and need some input. I have the laminated color-coded wiring diagram, the assembly manual, GM Repair manual and a trusty 40+ yr old Chilton's from my first Firebird (68), so really looking for firsthand confirmation.

On my 69 TA I am finally reassembling the dash after several months and thankfully it's a basic car so not a lot of frills. Just need help ID'g/confirming these wires and perhaps some input on finding a correct Cigarette Lighter retainer for the light.
Pic 1 I think I've figured out thanks to this post, they are the (orange/black) glovebox light & (brown) the blower Switch & (Gray) the heater controls light

Pic's 2 & 3 are a bit less clear to me (Gray wire w/white plug)- Some Wire diagrams suggest this is Rheostat control?? For what I don't know....Next the(Orange/Black w/funny bullet shape) is the cigarette retainer light? only none of the Repro sites show a retainer that accepts this including the current one installed on the car when I bought it. I see 2nd gen's have it but not the pin style connection for the lighter - which is what I assume is the connector that looks like butt wire splice on the end of the orange/black wire?

The post above says the Orange/black with the blue connector is for a clock which my car also does not have...so unless that's wrong... mystery solved.

Anyone know where I can find the correct lighter retainer to accept the light or do I just need to bust out the dremel to trim slots and thank the one size fits all aftermarket industry for selling a "correct for 69" being not so much....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1000003786.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	624765   Click image for larger version

Name:	1000003779.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	624766   Click image for larger version

Name:	1000003787.jpg
Views:	26