Old 06-07-2020, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What is the purpose of this hook?

It’s on the lower leaf spring Mounting plate. I thought it was to hold the emerg brake cable but that has to go over the spring to get to the bracket on the frame. I’m sure I knew at one time but for the life of me I can’t recall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	489798EB-298F-4273-8E5A-9E3D4A592692.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	542008  

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 06-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is a guide for the e-brake cable. I think that is a mono leaf lower bracket for the other side of the car but the picture only shows part of the bracket.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is the lower bracket for the mono leaf spring. I went with some multi leafs because I happened to have a good set and the monos were shot. Even if I used the monos I can't see how the cable would go thru this hook below the spring and then all the way up to the anchor bracket on the frame. Maybe.
I'm going to have to see if I can find a pic of an orig 67 setup. It's got me wondering.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

Old 06-09-2020, 12:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m more familiar with the Camaro’s than the Birds,that being said I know that when built there was a left and right bracket.The only difference was a small hole in the bottom. Later they were serviced by a single part number and could be used on either side ( multi leaf ) because there was a separate bolt on guide for the cable. The mono leaf bracket has a riveted on guid that faces towards the front of the car. I think the problem is your bracket is bolted on to the wrong side of the car. It looks like the guide is facing rearward to me. If switched to the other side the cable should run forward and drop into the guide. I hope I’m making sence.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:57 PM

I have a '67 mono leaf. The rear axle is off the car so I can't get pics showing how the cable is routed to the frame. The bracket hooks do face forward and the e-brake cables have wear marks that line up with the hooks on the brackets. That tells me that in order to go through the hooks, the cables have to go under the leaf spring.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup. Both right. I did a little more looking and using the mono it would indeed route under the spring and through the hook. Now with the multi leafs it just works better running above the spring. Thanks for the info. Appreciate the help and advice as always.