Old 11-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Senior Chief

The fender skirts were standard on the 72 LLM and usually 'fell off' after awhile.

GM's divisions were competing with each other and the LLM was meant to steal Olds/Buick buyers.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I know, no 455 HO 4-doors were built either.

And if my calculations are correct based on the documents I've seen from the GM Heritage Center, there were 90 Luxury Lemanses (4400 series) built with the L75 455.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
As far as I know, no 455 HO 4-doors were built either.

And if my calculations are correct based on the documents I've seen from the GM Heritage Center, there were 90 Luxury Lemanses (4400 series) built with the L75 455.
1972 Luxury Lemans

2 door hardtop with 455: 71
4 door hardtop with 455: 19

2 door hardtop with 400: 676
4 door hardtop with 400: 110

1972+ Lucerne Blue 4-door hardtop "what if" T-41 Le Mans Sport GT/Grand Am concepts. Equipped with future 3" journal "455 HO"/"what if" prototype "SD 455".
What if GM had continued production of the 1970-72 GM A body somewhere in the southern hemisphere?
Old 10-19-2019, 02:00 AM

Default 4 door with buckets 1972?

Was not the first year of an intermediate Pontiac 4 door with available bucket seats 1973?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
Lloyd,

Sorry about the mistake. It was a 2-dr.

I actually parted two orange 72 Luxury Lemans a number of years ago. They were similarly equipped.

The seat back locks came out of the 72 2-dr with no title. I also discussed that car here:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ans+seat+locks

The orange 4-dr was not as heavily optioned as the 2-dr. It was 400-4V, 3.23 posi, and had pw, pdl, tilt, a/c, cruise, am/fm, buckets, power seats. It's been 20 yrs ago, but I don't think it had tach or gauges or sport steering wheel.

I've parted out way too many cars over the years.

I've always wondered what happened to the 4-dr with the HO motor. There was a very active Pontiac dealership in that area, which closed in the mid-70s. I bought a 70 T/A that had a Ram IV with a SR block a number of years ago. The motor was all correct, down to the carb number, and it had the 3.73 gears. I was able to buy it, and was thoroughly disappointed to find it was a Ram III. I ultimately traced the history back far enough to find the motor came out of another car that was totalled.

It's possible the owner of the 4-dr started with a 455 and swapped out the heads and intake, since that stuff was cheap back then. I think I saw this car around 1984.

Mike

1972+ Lucerne Blue 4-door hardtop "what if" T-41 Le Mans Sport GT/Grand Am concepts. Equipped with future 3" journal "455 HO"/"what if" prototype "SD 455".
What if GM had continued production of the 1970-72 GM A body somewhere in the southern hemisphere?
Old 10-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, '73 models, but different style of bucket. Most likely the avaiabiltyl of bucket seats in certain bodystyle '73 Abody 4 doors would not have been avail if not for the design & marketing of the '73 Grand Am.

Don't get the infatuation with installing a heavy T41 front end on a 72 LLM. There is a strong consensus that all the wide stainless trim makes such an equipped '72 Pontiac A-body look bloated.... then add the fender vents & the heavy sucker looking nose. Over the last 3 decades have owned many '72 LLM's. Consistently many have shown up & eventually most were parted. As has been the practice over and over with '72 LLM 2 dr hardtopa, pitch the fender skirts, occasionally box the 1 out of 4 wire wheel covers thats in nice shape, remove all the gaudy trim & emblems & then carefully weld up all the holes in fenders & doors.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:54 PM

Perhaps you are thinking of the split bench with fold down center armrest, which may look somewhat like bucket seats from certain perspectives.

Placing a 1972 T-41 on a 1972 LML creates the conflict between the LML's lower chrome band and the new for 1972 T-42 fender vents, thus requiring eliminating either the vents (via 1971 T-41 fenders) or the chrome band.

For me, the LML's added side chrome is attricious, masks the lower coke bottle bottle line, strip it away and fill the holes, and likely adopting the 1970-1971 Lemans Sport bottom chrome and emblems, if not those of a GTO.

Curiously, Pontiac made the LML the only 4 door Lemans variant hardtop; hence the idea that comes to mind is that of adding the 1972 T-41 with 1971 Lemans Sport trim, or perhaps use the 1970 GTO front but wit the 1972 T-41 fender vents grafted in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Yes, '73 models, but different style of bucket. Most likely the avaiabiltyl of bucket seats in certain bodystyle '73 Abody 4 doors would not have been avail if not for the design & marketing of the '73 Grand Am.

Don't get the infatuation with installing a heavy T41 front end on a 72 LLM. There is a strong consensus that all the wide stainless trim makes such an equipped '72 Pontiac A-body look bloated.... then add the fender vents & the heavy sucker looking nose. Over the last 3 decades have owned many '72 LLM's. Consistently many have shown up & eventually most were parted. As has been the practice over and over with '72 LLM 2 dr hardtopa, pitch the fender skirts, occasionally box the 1 out of 4 wire wheel covers thats in nice shape, remove all the gaudy trim & emblems & then carefully weld up all the holes in fenders & doors.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoland View Post
The fender skirts were standard on the 72 LLM and usually 'fell off' after awhile.

GM's divisions were competing with each other and the LLM was meant to steal Olds/Buick buyers.
My fender skirts fell off before the seller backed it off his trailer!

Old 11-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Weirdly, Pontiac made the LML the only way to get a 4 door hardtop Pontiac intermediate for model year 1972.

Anyone know why Pontiac dropped the Lemans and Lemans Sport 4 door hardtops for that year? Any internal discussions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
My fender skirts fell off before the seller backed it off his trailer!

Old 11-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just curious, but where did you find those numbers?

I've only seen the LLM hardtop numbers in a Fred Simmonds document, and the 4-door numbers at the GM Heritage Center.