Old 10-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Special options and comfort VS originality and value

My car was born with black bench interior with column shift. 72 LeMans. T41 Endura front end was added by the previous owner. For the sake of comfort and added security, I installed bucket seats with console and floor shifter.

I love the look of the GTO front end. But the LeMans look is growing on me. And standard cars seems to get more interest lately. We all know how much a complete Endura front end's worth. But last time I got my car evaluated a few years ago, it didnt add any value to the car, simply because it wasnt born like that. It looks like a GTO optioned LeMans, but its not. Its a base LeMans.

I was going thru my photos archives, and all I see is bucket seat cars with floor shifter (Auto and manual). That got me thinking, what if I put the bench back in with the column shift? We dont see bench seat cars often.

I'm getting my car evaluated in a few weeks, I'm wondering if its worth more with the original interior and front end that matches the invoice options, or with the 'cool' factor interior and exterior look?

I had a discussion with a Mopar buddy of mine, and cars like a basic low-price Roadrunner with very few options worths more with its original no-frills interior, then a pimped up basic car loaded with optional stuff that's not even on the invoice.

What's the general consensus? I know its a personal preference, but lets hear what people think.

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My opinion value wise, if it’s about selling it, the T41 and buckets are definite value adders. Originality really doesn’t mean much since it’s “just a Lemans” and those two options open up the desirability of the car even if you can’t put a dollar amount on it. My 71 Lemans was my first car (still have it, but I gave it to my son as his first car and he hasn’t managed to kill it yet). All through my car years, it was basically worthless because it’s just a Lemans and not the hallowed GTO. Maybe people nowadays are giving the Lemans some time of the day just because they’re bored with the GTO’s and or don’t really have the ingrained snobbery of it’s “GTO or parts car Lemans” that controlled the scene in years past but that’s definitely a recent development in the interest as far as I’ve ever witnessed.

Back during one of my resto’s I added every factory option I could find for it (minus the T41 nose which I had but opted to not use just because it too hard to justify fixing all the rot on those parts when I had perfect rust free fenders for the chrome nose). I also added the buckets more because back then no one offered correct seat covers for the bench seats and of course buckets were cooler and a must have for a muscle car ticking off another option I could add so I changed it out. Now, I’d trade that bucket seat interior back for my bench in a second if I could. That’s probably more nostalgia than anything and with the seatbelt laws now, my memories of driving around with my arm around my girlfriend nestled beside me wouldn’t happen anymore with the seatbelt laws or the lack of safety with just a lap belt on the middle. All my cars are buckets and the bench was something different. I’d also ditch the power windows, cruise and factory air and possibly even consider going back to the manual drums for the simple memories I had for doing tune ups on that nice and open engine compartment. Now it’s as bad as a new car getting at anything with all that crap in there. I’ve still got golden memories of being able to change that #7 spark plug with ease.

Column shift……though it’s bad for your drivetrain, nothing was more fun than banging that stick down on a roll back and baking the tires as you pulled out of your friend’s driveway on the way to the weekend!

So, as you said, personal preference is the key so it really boils down to what your plans are with the car, if it’s just resale value, then leave the buckets and the T41 on there. I seriously doubt that the car will sell easier, or for more money without them just because it’s original to the build sheet.

Old 10-26-2019, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, certainly a 'subjective' subject here.

Personally, my tastes have evolved over time as well. My old 72 LeMans GT had the bench seat and floor shifted 3 speed manual with the T41 nose (original) and A/C, and I wouldn't want it any other way. However, the 350 was set aside after 100k miles of service in favor of a stock 455 build, which I wouldn't (and didn't) change back.

But... now my 71 GTO has a column shifted auto with buckets and no console, plus A/C. Crazy, but I actually enjoy that combo too! And though future plans are for a floor shifted manual, I would likely reinstall the column shifted auto if I ever go back that route. That was heresy in my mind 20 years ago. My Dad drove the column shift cars, not me!

I would agree though that the buckets and T41 will enhance resale if that's the ultimate question.

It's of course your choice, and don't worry if that choice is an ever moving mark. Heck, that's part of the fun. Build it how you like now, and maybe someday return it to original. Either way is wonderful.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 10-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the comments.

I've always had bucket seat cars. I do remember sitting next to my dad in his bench trucks. Good memories. Bench seats were gone when I was old enough to drive, so I dont know how it feels to drive a bench seat muscle car. I drove column shift trucks in my early years, not a big fan, lol.

I'm not planning on selling my car, its mostly for insurance and value purposes. The insurance guy gave me a low number last time I had my car evaluated. Nice gentleman though, a car guy. Told him about the value of the T41 front end alone, and he told me if I crash or damade the car, they will look at the original invoice, and replace it with what's on there; standard LeMans chrome nose.

Food for thoughts!

Old 10-26-2019, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I restored a #s matching 64 GTO 4 speed buckets put a tri power on it.

Attachment 523054

But I wanted A/C and didn't want to cut it up so I sold it.
And built this and it will always be a Tempest (unless I wreck the front end you cant buy Tempest Grille)
Column shift bench seat car. And I get way more attention with the Tempest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6353.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	523055

Last edited by footjoy; 10-26-2019 at 11:30 PM. Reason: picture
Old 10-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe you need to look at other insurance companies. I use American Collectors Ins. They let you choose the value you want it insured at and charge the premium accordingly. If something on your car is damaged, they pay to replace it, not what it says it was born with. They do require a picture and they don't come and look at the car to appraise it.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:46 PM

If your looking for a project parts 72 lemans with bench seat i have one forsale?

Old 10-30-2019, 10:46 AM

Definitely look at another "agreed value" insurance company like tjs72lemans suggests. As long as you can document what you had done to the car, you should have no problem. Who knows - you might actually save some money too.

Any additions, although not original to the car, just might increase increase its value or be the one item that actually sells the car for you. That's always a tough call. However, as long as additions or improvements are reversible, you can enjoy your car your way and not force your choices on the next owner.