Old 10-28-2019, 09:42 PM

Default 73-77 Dash Width

Could anyone tell me exactly how wide the dash is on a 73-77 Grand Prix?

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 10-29-2019, 10:26 PM

tell me the reason you need the dimension and I will measure appropriately.

Are you trying to fit one in a non Grand Prix?
Need length for shipping?
You know when they are not installed they bow a bit and will shorten up.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:10 PM

I'm considering putting it in a 1978 Caprice. I've had the car 22 years and it's still my daily driver. I recently did an LS swap and I've never really liked the dash design of those cars. Before I go much further I need to make sure it will physically fit between the a-pillars and doors. The B-body Caprice's downsized in '77, and they went down to the size of the Grand Prix's previous intermediate size from 73-77, so I think there's a good chance it could fit, but I can't find any other examples online.

This picture (not my car, just found online) is of the same type of dash/seat setup that I currently have.

And here is what I would like to install (photo of '73 Grand Am).

Old 10-31-2019, 10:08 PM

Vetteman61,
I measured my 77 Grand Prix (same dash as Grand Am) and the widest section of the dash pad is 58 inches measured on a horizontal line as close to the top of steering column as possible (with my tape measure against the back side of the steering wheel).
In other words....a horizontal line at the bottom of the top left dash vent. This line also happens to be the narrowest point between the left and right upper door panels at 59 inches. So there is about 1/2 inch space between the edge of the dash pad and the upper door panel (on each side of the dash). If this makes no sense...I can send a pic of the position of my tape (PM me your e-mail or phone that I can send a pic to).

If you find a dash that needs some miscellaneous pieces (vents/speaker cover/cluster) I probably have what you need since I have parted out at least 5 GP's of that vintage.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:45 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate the information. I'll send a PM as well.