Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 62 - Direction signal switch rebuild

Hey Guys...

This is related to my previous post about my turn signal lever flopping around.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=716654

Thought it may come in handy for everyone. I'm still working on this issue, but kind of stumbled onto some other things that may prove useful.

I made a trip to the junkyard yesterday with some other great PY board guys, PerryKA (Alan) and Deadhead (Bruce). We made some decent scores on parts we were looking for. I found a few direction signal switches (Turn signal switches that mount on the steering column) while we were there. I've done some reading up on these and think they may be the cause of my tail light issues, so I wanted to grab a few and try my hand rebuilding them. The reason I got into this was an intermittant problem I've been having where one of my brake lights seem to have a life of it's own. One day, it's working. next, it's out. I've replaced all wiring and been through everything a few times in the hope of solving the trouble when I ran across a paragraph in my shop manual that almost stated my issue to the letter!

The manual states "When installing the direction signal switch it is very important that it be centered properly on the steering column. Improper positioning can result in an inoperative stop lamp." This is my issue to a T, so I'm addressing the problem from a couple directions.

This post is about the switch itself. After some other reading, Some say that the switch can go faulty simply from age. The grease first installed at the factory can go hard and dry up, making for bad movement or faulty operation.

Since I'm now armed with a few of these things, I decided to try my hand looking into them and maybe rebuilding one to replace in my car. Turns out, they're very simple to take apart and service. If you have issues, you might want to try this. Removing, disassembling, cleaning, then reasssembling is easy, but you need to be careful as the parts are small and easy to lose. I'd recommend good light and a clean space to work with.

I'll be posting some pics on this as we go along. Of course, you'll need to remove this part from your car to do the rebuild...

Last edited by mviker; 03-16-2013 at 04:08 PM.