Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Senior Chief

Default Installing Dougs Headers & engine mount alignment....pics included

I was trying to install my Dougs 1 3/4 headers on my 1979 Trans Am SE 4spd car and currently I have the passenger side header and engine mount bolt installed. The 4spd trans is also installed along with the trans mount loosely bolted in.

I figured that I would leave the driver side engine mount bolt out so that I could jack the engine up on that side if I needed the clearance to install the driver side header....BUT....before I even try to install the that header it doesn't look like my driver side engine mount bolt holes are lining up. In order for them to line up I would need to jack the driver side of the engine up for the bolt holes to line up..BUT...on the passenger side the header would hit the crossmember if I did that.

Any suggestions on how to get them to fit?

Here is a pic of the driver side engine mount....

Passenger side header pic....

Old 10-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Port-a-power to move the header for clearance. Place between the header and crossmember and spread them apart.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

Maybe I have the wrong mounts on the engine?

Old 10-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe so, not sure about that. In my experience the headers don't clearance everywhere and you just have to make it work.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

May be too much trouble, can you removed head then drop in header? Is only ten bolts, or can you hoist engine both m-mounts need to be unbolted?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Senior Chief

I removed the passenger side header. I wanted to see if I could get the engine mount bolt holes to line up first.

If I get the engine mount bolt holes lined up and I am able to get the engine mount bolts in...I wonder what I should do first in order to install the headers?

Do I need to remove the engine mount bolt and the 4 speed trans cross member?

Last edited by Nitebird; 10-22-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Senior Chief

Is it possible to install the headers with the engine mounts already bolted up?
In other words do the engine mount bolts have to be out for the headers to bolt up?

Old 10-23-2014, 04:09 PM

I installed mine with the engine in position. From below. Raised the car a removed the starter.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
I installed mine with the engine in position. From below. Raised the car a removed the starter.

Was the starter difficult to put back in after the header was installed?

Old 10-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to raise the engine up to install the headers,without the engine mount bolts in the engine is resting too low..

Old 10-24-2014, 05:57 AM

No need to raise the engine on my car. It's a '79 Formula with a 400. Round port Dougs and EDL 72cc round port heads.
Starter went in easy but it's not the original (Powermaster XS)

Old 10-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Senior Chief

I checked the part numbers on another set of mounts that I had and they were the correct ones for a 1979 Trans am and I have them installed. To install them though...I had to install the long frame bolt in the rubber mount first and then I lined up the other 3bolt holes and screwed them in. I then could manipulate the bracket while it was mounted because the rubber mount had some give in it.

I tried for a long time to just slide in the long bolt while already having the 3 engine mount bolts installed but never could get the bracket holes to line up properly that way.

Just a FYI in case somebody runs into a similar problem and this is how I solved it.

I then got the headers installed. I didn't have to remove the engine mounts or bolts either.... but I did budge the engine over from side to side for a very small amount of clearance with the rubber mounts.

I installed both sides from the bottom of the car. I got the front of the car up really high on jack stands. I had to remove the starter,oil filter adapter and both lower control arm to frame braces to slide them in.

Thanks for all the input!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitebird View Post
Was the starter difficult to put back in after the header was installed?
Right now its been a nightmare, both sides hit the floor, drive side hit the side of the subframe, these are dougs 1-7-8's D-ports, heads and block were milled quite a bit pistons .010 above deck, Heads are some Killer 327cfm kre D-ports by Dave at Sd, my ported T-2 Holley EFI
I'm fully aware of bolting them up then setting engine down but i need to dent a tube to. Set down. The passenger side. Same with driver side but its difficult if header collectors hit the floor with the. Engine static, you quite physically can not bolt the on in any fashion like they are for a different car so although i don't mid porta powering them its still a 700$ set of nice headers that should fit way better, lowering the back of the trans will cause other issues, so he called tribal tubes to give them a shot which will choke some power but you have to have exhaust!

Old 06-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRE455 View Post
Right now its been a nightmare, both sides hit the floor, drive side hit the side of the subframe, these are dougs 1-7-8's D-ports, heads and block were milled quite a bit pistons .010 above deck, Heads are some Killer 327cfm kre D-ports by Dave at Sd, my ported T-2 Holley EFI
I'm fully aware of bolting them up then setting engine down but i need to dent a tube to. Set down. The passenger side. Same with driver side but its difficult if header collectors hit the floor with the. Engine static, you quite physically can not bolt the on in any fashion like they are for a different car so although i don't mid porta powering them its still a 700$ set of nice headers that should fit way better, lowering the back of the trans will cause other issues, so he called tribal tubes to give them a shot which will choke some power but you have to have exhaust!
I didnt have to dent my headers or do any changes to them using the method of installing them as I described above. I got the front of the car really high on jack stands so that I could get lots of room and removed the items as I described above in order to gain clearance for them also.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The subframe flexes a lot... at the body mounts depending where you are supporting the vehicle load and the condition of the mounts themselves.
I like to put the rear stands on the axle and fronts inboard of the front wheels, relatively even front to back/car reasonably level, to simulate how the car will sit in it's normal on the ground stance.

Matching "F body engine mount brackets" on the engine?
------------------
"Here is a pic of the driver side engine mount....

Passenger side header pic...."

Where's the pics?

Last edited by STEELCITYFIREBIRD; 06-16-2019 at 11:42 AM.