Old 06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*
Default leaks leaks leaks, last post didnt work sorry.

well ive been leaking from my thermostat area, and the down port that goes into the timing cover/water pump, is there a specific sealant i need to use, ive been using gasgacinch, which is what the guy at napa told me to use, but im starting not to like it because of the leaks everywhere. What do i do about the leaks and do i need to buy some RTV silicone stuff?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 06-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

o and if u look at the engine block u can see the XX engine code i cant find that code anywhere, but i was once told it was a 69 code? anyone know?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need the black rubber washer that goes between the intake & timing cover. Make sure you tighten the front bolt before you tighten the rest of the intake bolts.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM

what scott says.

btw the right stuff sealant is a lot better than what you used.

xx in the hollander manual is a 400 from 69-73 depending on the application.

check the date code and i might be able to narrow it down farther as to what it was orig in.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The year the block was made can be seen next to the distributor on the block. Will be the last two #'s (i.e. 69) I alway put a little RTV around the area where the black rubber washer goes between the intake and time chain cover. The small rubber gasket/washer comes with a new intake gasket set.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blue haylomar in the spray bottle from NAPA. Stuff is magic, and you can re-use the black rubber oring as well. I think the rubber comes with the timing cover gasket kit, you have to ask for the kit that includes it. Just make sure to install all intake bolts, but don't tighten them down. Cinch intake to timing cover with front pull up bolt, then tighten intake to heads. This clamps the black washer properly between intake and timing cover.

chip

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 06-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

and dont forget, the tighter you make it the worse it will leak

heres a few things I have found helpful

if you have to you can get a rubber washer from the hardware store, they are the ones in the metal flex hose that goes to and from the hot water heater in your house. When you tighten the long skinny bolt from timing cover to manifold have the manifold bolts loose and that skinny bolt only gets about 10 lbs of torque, just enough to compress it a little. The metal of the manifold does NOT have to touch the metal of the timing cover to seal well in fact Ive only seen one Pontiac intake where it actually did touch.

on the Tstat housing and manifold, make sure the metal surfaces are totally free of any old gasket or sealer and then use a bare minimum of sealer and dont overtighten

you can check the tstat housing by laying any straightedge across it (ruler etc) to see if its been warped from overtightening, scrub it back and forth on a bigpiece of sandpaper laid on a bench to smooth it flat. Make sure you dont have the thermostat upside down or cocked in the hole.

good luck, you can do it

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a good way to seal it if you don't take the intake mainfold off? I'm going to be doing the same thing, In fact I've done just the water pump R&R awhile back and have no leaks. I'll be doing a R&R on the timing cover soon...I don't want to mess with the intake if I can get away with it.

George

Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 PM

I've fixed two of these without taking the intake off, your mileage may vary.

1. Loosen the intake to head bolts.

2. Tighten the long bolt a bit, not enough to snap it, -they snap like pretzel sticks in a fat girls back pocket, but enough.

3. Stand there and stare at it for a few minutes while you enjoy a beer. if it's still leaking, there is no chance in hell this is going to work, and you can start the intake swap over.

4. If it doesn't leak in front of your face, with no pressure, there is a chance it won't leak later.

5. Tighten the intake bolts.

6. Go finish your six pack. Drive it tomorrow. You've both had a hard day.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sounds like a plan repoman. but im only 18, guess ill have to ask my dad to drink and ill grab a few when hes not loooking
as for the date code ill make sure to look it up.

one thing i didnt get out of the responses was wheter or not I should use some RTV silicone or not and ditch the gasgacinh.

AS for the little rubber seal that goes from the intake to the timing cover, the intake gasket set i bought didnt come with one but it came with a big o Ring as if it were to go on the t-stat housing. so i used the original one, Should i go buy a little rubber washer as BVR421 stated, i do work at lowes but im only an outside loader, so im sure i can pick one up easily. can you be more specific on what i would look for, BVR?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind

Last edited by *67firebird*; 06-30-2006 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Black washer/gasket

Ever Fel-Pro intake gasket I've ever bought has came with one, are you sure you didn't over look it? It should have been it a little bag with the plastic keepers that hold the gaskets in place.

I've never heard of gasgacinh, I've always used the red or blue RTV, or gold on the hot spots and never had any problems for 15 years, unless I screwed it up so how

Old 07-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ok guys, i ordered the seal, and i got the blue rtv and used some the techniques told, so by tomm morning ill have the results and tell you all if it still leaks, and if it does quit. hah J.k ill have someone do it for me. theres a guy down the street from my house who does total car restorations i guees ill have to pay the 35/hr rate he charges. LAter.

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 07-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ok i did it everyone. Finally. i turned it on for about 15 mins, it shut off after it ran out of gas. haha yea so excited, i have a little leak from the sensor, but i can take care of that easily. Thanks everyone for the tips now its time to tune the car. ill post some questions on the street sections. Osvaldo

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind