Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM

Default ram air manifolds vs stock

My '69 GTO 400/350 has stock manifolds with 2 1/2 pipes into flowmasters. If I change to ram air manifolds will I notice the difference? This is just a cruise nite/ car show car no track. I do like performance though. I'm also thinking of installing x pipe as it's straight thru now and maybe change mufflers or add resonators as it's too loud and has a drone at 45 or above. Love the sound at idle though. Thoughts without spending a lot of money?

Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM

You likely won't notice the difference between stock log manifolds and HO/Ram Air manifolds on a stock or near stock engine. Less than a 10 HP difference.

Use your cash to get rid of the Flowmasters and install an X-pipe system with Race-Pro mufflers from PYPES.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Changing from what you have to RAIII manifolds also requires new downpipes...or another cost involved.

I had the 50 series Flowmasters on my 69 and holding a conversation while driving around was impossible. I swapped on a pair of DynoMax Super turbo's (17749) and all is quiet inside the car now. My pipes are also Flowmaster brand 2.5".

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 PM

I have used the 17749 Dynomax mufflers on a few cars and really like them too. The Race-Pro mufflers are a straight-thru design and are surprisingly quiet until you nail the throttle, I used them to replace some Flowmaster race mufflers and the performance was the same.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblguy View Post
Thoughts without spending a lot of money?
Once you add up the RA manifolds, their down pipes, the hardware and gasket kit, you could buy some ceramic coated Hooker's or Dougs full length headers. Then still wont get much preformance gain on a stock engine. JMO.

X2 on the dynomax turbo.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM

I am going to do the x pipe. I know someone that has the manifolds i can get used but think i'll pass on those. Don't want to do headers on this car. Talked to pypes at auto fair last month and he said to use street pros but reading this forum i hear that race pros are quieter, so confusing. Love the rumble with the flowmasters at idle, how do the dynomax sound?

Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
You likely won't notice the difference between stock log manifolds and HO/Ram Air manifolds on a stock or near stock engine. Less than a 10 HP difference.

Use your cash to get rid of the Flowmasters and install an X-pipe system with Race-Pro mufflers from PYPES.
What he said!
BTW, I just installed the Race-Pro mufflers on my Lemans (replacing 10 year old Street-Pros) and was shocked that they were quieter even though you can look straight through them and see out the other side. Nice rumble at idle without that raspy sound. And they sound great at full song!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot to add- I have the Dynomax Super-Turbos on my Bonneville 428 with a Pypes 2 1/2" X system and they are QUIET! Fine for for a Bonneville wagon, but a little quiet for my taste for anything else.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM

I don't want it totally quiet. What do the race pros sound like at say 45 and 70 mph? I want good sound at idle but not so much noise at speed.
What about adding resonators, would that quiet it down at speed but keep a good sound at idle? Or at least get rid of the drone?

Old 05-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know that they have made many improvements to the packing materials, but wonder what the life span is of a muffler with packing? Having replaced glass-packs every 10 to 12 thousand miles in the 1960's, I'm a little gun shy.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 AM

I put the dynomax 17749 mufflers on and I can hear myself think now when driving on the freeway. So far I' m happy with them. My neighbors like me better too.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 17749's are amazingly quiet- with RA manifolds and X-pipe my Lemans vert is no louder than my stock 06 GTO, which is exactly what I wanted after years of putting up with the Flowmaster noise and drone. I ran some test passes at the drag strip and believe it or not my wife actually complained that the car didn't sound fast, regardless of what the timeslips said! I think they are great mufflers, but not if you are looking for a real "performance" sound.

No regrets on installing the RA manifolds, but mostly because I like the way they look under the hood.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have RA manifolds on my '72 LeMans and 17749s. Probably get a few horses over manifolds but the curb appeal did it for me.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Suspended

there was an article written about comparison between the standard manifolds, the ra manifolds and headers in one of the pontiac mags afew years back.

the ra'a were quite a bit more efficient than standard manifolds and came within about 15-20 % of the efficientcy of headers.

But that only tells part of the story. Some header designs and current ones especially are more efficent now, and also its not just a matter of bolting on an exuaste system and doing a comparrison. Some additional tuning is required that may make headers more efficient under certain conditions.

So, it may seem like an apple vs apples comparison but explored to its limits it kinda becomes an apples vs oranges comparison.

RA'a are quieter and cause few clearance problems. they cost only a bit less than some basic headers.

cast iron has a different co-efficient of expansion than aluminum used in heads so gasket sealing may pose some issues.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default what does an X pipe sound like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblguy View Post
I am going to do the x pipe. I know someone that has the manifolds i can get used but think i'll pass on those. Don't want to do headers on this car. Talked to pypes at auto fair last month and he said to use street pros but reading this forum i hear that race pros are quieter, so confusing. Love the rumble with the flowmasters at idle, how do the dynomax sound?
I have a thread on this section titled 389 sound. The exhaust is a Pypes 2.5 inch with the X pipe. The mufflers are Summit Racing turbos, that are very close to the dynoflow turbo mufflers. Just listen to my sound and you will have a good idea of the X pipe and turbo mufflers.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I forgot to say that I ran the engine up to 4,000 RPM with the camera at the rear of the car and while inside the car. The exhausts exit the car on the side just behind the rear wheels.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Senior Chief

Ram Air manifolds look cool and do ad some performance, thats enough reason for me. I have the R/A restoration manifolds with 2 1/2" dumps on my 455 and there was a noticeable gain from the logs. I have the Street Pro mufflers, I don't trust the Race Pro packing to last very long.

Last edited by PONTIAC-ONE; 06-01-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the Dynomax VT mufflers on my near stock 69 GTO and the car is fairly quiet with no drone at all like Dynomax claims.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a 2 1/2" Walker system with an H-pipe but run Cherry Bombs. They're quieter than the Flow Masters and Pypes mufflers, but still have that nice mellow sound. And when you downshift and backoff on the gas.... that great popping sound comes thru. I've ran the Cherry Bombs for years on my cars back in the 60s and 70s, and never had a problem with them 'wearing' or rusting out.

Too me the Pypes mufflers are just too loud when you're going thru the gears. And that droning sound from drives me nuts.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I've got a 2 1/2" Walker system with an H-pipe but run Cherry Bombs. They're quieter than the Flow Masters and Pypes mufflers, but still have that nice mellow sound. And when you downshift and backoff on the gas.... that great popping sound comes thru. I've ran the Cherry Bombs for years on my cars back in the 60s and 70s, and never had a problem with them 'wearing' or rusting out.

Too me the Pypes mufflers are just too loud when you're going thru the gears. And that droning sound from drives me nuts.
I have a X over with a Pypes 2 1/2" full system out the back and there is NO drone with my Street pros and the Ram Air manifolds.
X vs H pipe changes the tone, so does headers vs manifolds.

Back to the original posters topic, get the Ram Air manifolds, you'll be happy with them!

Last edited by PONTIAC-ONE; 06-05-2013 at 06:34 AM.