Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-27-2021, 08:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default Engine and Trans in Straight

Hello all,

Maybe I'm making too much out of this but I'm putting together a new IA2 motor with a 4L80e. I'm replacing the motor mounts with interlocking poly type and having to add an an aftermarket transmission cross-member for the longer transmission.

With all these new parts should I be concerned with the motor and trans being in straight, level, positioned correctly in the car? If this is something worth checking, what would I search for?

Thanks for taking a moment to consider my questions.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 02-27-2021, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Drivetrains are never in straight.

Tilted down in the back, to the right a tad, to the left a tad, every make and model is different. There are formulas out there when starting with a new chassis. The only one I recall is down about 3 degrees in the back.

Most of the formulas are to combat torque and vibration.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 04:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

True, all over the map even between the same year and model cars in our club. If your old engine/trans is still in place simply put the angle gauge across the air cleaner lid and then match the new assembly after it is installed. Even just changing out the transmission mount with a different brand will have the trans at a different height. If rear is too low some large fender washers under the mount will bring it up.

Can't back it up, but I suspect that Pontiac angled the stock intake manifold base plate for the carburetor to sit level with the proper engine/trans tilt. Some aftermarket manifolds have the same tilt but others sit parallel with the heads.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PMD may have angled the Intake & Carb base to clear sloping hoods.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PMD and many others angled the intake towards the front to compensate for the engines front to rear tilt back so as to get the Carb back to being level, not due to the hood line!

This started with the first V8 in 1955 when you could
Just about fit another half a car under the darn hood, lol!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 02-28-2021, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've found the most important thing to check Punkin is to put an angle finder on the output shaft of the transmission with everything bolted in, to make sure it has a slight downward angle. No more than 3-4 degrees is necessary.

From there you can make sure your driveline angles are proper for the driveshaft so you don't induce drivetrain vibrations.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know why, but engines in first gen birds looks worse than other body styles, to me, when it comes to the engine being off-center to the passengers side.

Clay

Old 02-28-2021, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Don't know why, but engines in first gen birds looks worse than other body styles, to me, when it comes to the engine being off-center to the passengers side.

Clay
They were in fact set to the passenger side slightly, for more steering box clearance on the BBC first gen camaros.

Chevrolet camaro's especially had different frame mounts for BBC and SBC, to shift the engine to the right.
It's a big reason why over the years you hear so many stories about people not being able to fit headers on their BB camaro without bashing in the tubes to clear the steering box. It's because the car started life as a SBC, swapped in a BBC and didn't bother to install the proper frame mounts. The headers were designed around having the correct mounts in place.

It would not surprise me if this was also done on the 1st gen firebirds too for better fitment of the Pontiac engines.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-28-2021, 11:26 AM
Suspended

The MoPars of the late 60's - early 70's were the worst at moving the engine far right.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:51 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I've found the most important thing to check Punkin is to put an angle finder on the output shaft of the transmission with everything bolted in, to make sure it has a slight downward angle. No more than 3-4 degrees is necessary.

From there you can make sure your driveline angles are proper for the driveshaft so you don't induce drivetrain vibrations.
Thanks VERY much. It so happens that the rear is coming out this spring too. Thanks!

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear