67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:02 PM

Default 67 Firebird 400 Front Bumper Arrow Emblem Question

Question about Firebird 400 front bumper Arrow Emblem.

I just bought a highly original 67 Firebird 400 convertible (YT Code). Every number, code and trim tag option was confirmed on the PHS report (a true 400 car with matching EUN motor).

Although the car is extremely original and straight, the one thing that does not seem correct is the front bumper. The chrome bumper does not have the Arrow emblem mounted to the front bumper (and no holes either).

It is certainly possible that someone changed the bumper due to pitting, dents, fender bender, etc. But I see no visible signs of any front end damage.

So - it it possible that this bumper is original but came without an emblem (long shot of course)? Put differently, did any early 67 400s (built 3rd week of March 67) ever come without an emblem? I suppose it's easy to drill holes and install a repro emblem, but want to be sure that this one is not a factory bumper before drilling.

Again - it's 100 percent certain this is a 400 car, confirmed by the PHS and all stampings, Trim tag (3F), etc. Just curious about this bumper.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:45 PM
Senior Chief

Likely swapped out. Not easy to drill holes. Can remove and see if a repop bumper...

Old 02-07-2024, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The bumper must have been changed.

I haven't seen a original 400 car without the emblem.

Some reason it had been replaced.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.

Last edited by thepontiacman; 02-07-2024 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

repops are much thinner than OEM
get something to measure it and report back

Old 02-07-2024, 08:06 PM

Thanks for your comments. I will measure thickness using a caliper and report back.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If a GM bumper, it may have been swapped years ago and didn't bother with emblem.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I bought my '67 400 in '98, it had a bumper with no holes as it was replaced. However, the original bumper was included that had the front nose dented in. I eventually has the original repaired and rechromed.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:58 PM

I appreciate all the input.

I’m away this weekend and haven’t had a chance to measure the thickness of the bumper yet.

It seems clear that all 400s had the emblem, so now I just need to decide whether I should drill two holes or simply fasten the emblem using ultra black RTV. (By first removing the mounting studs).

Any thoughts on either option?

Old 02-12-2024, 09:40 PM

Ok, so I managed to measure the bumper thickness. It seems to measure somewhere between 0.095-0.100 thickness. I also noticed some surface rust on the back side of the nose, so the bumper has surely been on the car for quite some time.

Anyone know how thick original Pontiac bumpers are (vs repops)?