Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Senior Chief

Arrow Chasing 30 years of bugs.

Interior is in great shape, one small tear on the driver seat that was covered with tape. Chased the power driver window problem to a loose connection at the motor, still working on the radio, can hear the stations in the radio playing, but it's not getting to the speakers or their all bad. Two question maybe somebody can answer, I need a radiator and I'd like to put in an aluminium one also take the coil over shocks out of the rear and fire the air ride back up, anybody have any experiences with these? You guys in CA recognize the Tune Masters sticker? From what I've found online this was a small chain of repair shops around LA way back, this one is dated April 1972.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04169.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	219636   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04168.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	219637   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04120.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	219640  

Last edited by GpFreak; 09-26-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Vrabec View Post
Looks real nice Steve. That's the way to get a car. Worth all the shipping trouble. I love the car with the rallys and no mouldings.
I'm really glad I went with the enclosed truck considering I did't know the drivers window was stuck in the down position!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:55 AM

Steve I think tune masters evolved into Granatellis Tune up Masters. They were chasing me for several yrs to work for them back in the 80's and IIRC the headhunter told me the above.

Glad you're making progress.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
IIRC
Yes Mike.

http://www.tuneup-masters.com/

Old 09-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpFreak View Post
Interior is in great shape, one small tear on the driver seat that was covered with tape. Chased the power driver window problem to a loose connection at the motor, still working on the radio, can hear the stations in the radio playing, but it's not getting to the speakers or their all bad. Two question maybe somebody can answer, I need a radiator and I'd like to put in an aluminium one also take the coil over shocks out of the rear and fire the air ride back up, anybody have any experiences with these? You guys in CA recognize the Tune Masters sticker? From what I've found online this was a small chain of repair shops around LA way back, this one is dated April 1972.
Steve,

Sounds like all of the speakers are bad to me... have your originals restored and you should have tunes again.

The rear auto-level system is not very reliable, the compressor is always a constant problem. Not hard to get the system working as long as its all there and the lines are good... with a pair of nos Delco air shocks with the correct size line fittings and the compressor valve cleaned and lubricated, that should get it working again.

I do remember Tune Up Masters and Andy G. doing his advertisements on TV, that's been a few years ago! Very cool to still have that vintage sticker there all these years!

Keep up the good work!

Grant

Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Senior Chief

Arrow Spring has sprung... almost.

The snow banks have finally melted so it must be time for a spring update... I had a set of brand new Plye's in the rear deack of my '69 so I did the old A-B swap and yes, I have tunes! Decided to investigate my exhaust noise near the old Sears Muzzlers and found out the front (head) pipes have given up the fight after 40+ years, anybody know a good source for correct fit front pipes? Swapped out the factory wheel for a driver formula, not sure I like the fat grip though. On a cool note, while I was under her hacking the Muzzlers off, out of the corner of my eye I spotted some paper tucked in the bottom of the left front fender ahead of the door, when I took a closer look I realized it was the build sheet! After retrieving what was left of it and lightly blowing the dirt off it I was able to read some of the option list and a notaion at the lower right under them "XXX customer order", possible special order car?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	241541   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	241542   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	241543   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (2).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	241544  

Old 04-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, check the ohms on those speakers before using them too much... if 4 ohm they will overload the stock radio and damage it. Factory 10 ohm is best, 8 ohm should be safe as well. If you want a perfect original fit exhaust system I would go with a new Gardner system. If you just need new head pipes, any good exhaust shop should be able to make them. Formula wheel looks good in there. I had one before on a '70 SJ and liked it. Amazing that build sheet was still there! I'd bet there's another one somewhere inside the car. Yes, by that shown on the build sheet your car was most likely ordered by the original owner... sweet!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Second on Gardner for stock stuff. Went through the parts book to get them to put together stock systems for 69-72 GP. JUst have to send them my original HO 69 stuff one day...Kind of hate to give it up though.
KV

Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up Progress report

Thought I'd give this an update, got alot of the bugs out of the car and even made a couple of local shows this summer. Picked up a set of GM 10 ohm speakers for the rear deck so I have some tunes, just no front speaker for now. I had a set of 2 1/2" front pipes bent up at the local Midas and installed a pair of Full Boar 2 chambers, sounds nice almost like old Hollywoods. I found out my over temp issue was the radiator clogged up with stalactites and I had a 4 core out of a '69 with good tanks laying around, had that recored and now the temp never goes more than 180*. Decided to change the sneakers out for a set of thin wall Michelins and removed the pogo spring shocks to get her rear down, I had to see if I liked the look and it's growing on me, maybe a new set of meatier Michelins next year (or next). The first sping project after her winter rest will be some new valve cover gaskets and to get the A/C up an running with a 134 convert. It's been a blast to drive now that it's road worthy, can't wait for some more cruising.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	267208   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay projects 004.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	267209   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay projects 001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	267210   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04925.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	267212  

Old 12-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

nice progress, looking good. what size tire is that? i like the look of it.

i put a set of those spring shocks in once to get the sag out. didn't like the ride and all it did was hop when you got into it. took them out for regular shocks and new springs. was fine after that. just goes to show how a "cheap fix" costs more in the end.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Senior Chief

P21570R15's I think 235's will fill the wells better. The previous owner put the shocks in to handle a small boat he pulled, found the trailer reggie mixed in with the papers that came with it. Forgot the steering wheel pic, finished that project after my trip to the Syracuse Nationals, the PY trailer had the center button I had been hunting for right on their trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ebay projects 025.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	267223   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay projects 007.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	267224  

Old 12-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great Steve! Really like the look of the thin white-wall tires on there, just looks right.