Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Centerforce dual friction clutch with stock flywheel

I didn't realize a Centerforce dual friction clutch pressure plate is too big for a stock flywheel. I went to put it on and realized the bolt pattern is all wrong. Any recommendations on what flywheel I should be using that wont break the bank?
Thank you.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it an 11 inch clutch that your trying to match to a 10.4 inch flywheel?

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 01-21-2014, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have them on both my 69 Firebird, and 73 Lemans with stock flywheels with no issues. Possibly the wrong clutch/pressure plate for your aplication?

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That must be the issue. I assumed the stock flywheel was 11". I now remember the old clutch was 10-1/2". I didn't realize stock flywheels came in two sizes.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone have any opinion on a good flywheel? Of course an 11" flywheel.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 AM
Suspended

Hays
I would not feel safe with a factory one I did not know the history of.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hays and McLeod seem to make pretty decent aftermarket steel billet flywheels for Pontiac. From Summit they around $300. For a little less (around $200) there is PRW steel billet flywheel. I think SD Perf sells the PRW flywheel and likely a few other Pontiac vendors. There are other choices. With Hays and McLeod, I think (hope?) you are getting a little better quality and the brand name (warranty , service?). Hope Hays and McLeod are USA made - but not sure.
I think a steel billet flywheel is a good investment. I would be a bit leary of using an original cast flywheel. Especially, if you are running modified ..high HP parts..

When getting a flywheel , make sure to consider engine balance...how is engine currently balanced? How is current flywheel balanced ? For example, if you are running a new rebuilt engine that is zero (neutral) balanced...then get a flywheel that is zero or neutral balanced.

For flywheel, you might want also to consider ..total size of flywheel ..outside diameter...how flywheel will fit with starter...using stock starter or aftermarket small high powered starter?...
Read and check out this post where I had issues with a flywheel (Hays, I think) and IMI starter..
problems with aftermarket ATP flywheel ring gear and billet flywheel w IMI starter http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...light=flywheel

Last, you might want also to think about a good steel bell housing and block plate...these are made by McLeod...Quicktime...Lakewood..new cost is pretty high $400-$500...they are often for sale used...for $150-$200...then u would have to index bellhousing to crank...and may need a longer ball stud...

Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for that info Pip, I sent Dave at SD an email today and as far as the bell housing mine is a Lakewood with a plate and the alignment is done already.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That starter issue is interesting. I haven't read the entire thread yet but I will tonight as I have a question based on what I've seen so far in your first few pics but not sure if it was asked yet.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Suspended

I also read somewhere (here?) that the ring gear on hays flywheels is further away from the starter that it is on a factory fly wheel. is that so?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
I also read somewhere (here?) that the ring gear on hays flywheels is further away from the starter that it is on a factory fly wheel. is that so?
I've got a Hays wheel, 11" Centerforce dual friction, and stock bell. No issues with starters - stock or aftermarket - but I did have to go to an adjustable ball stud to get the clutch geometry right. Had a heck of a time at first with the stock ball.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i ran a Hays FW adn everything was fine for me
I like the CF DFII for the street, nice clutch package

Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pontirag Re: "I also read somewhere (here?) that the ring gear on hays flywheels is further away from the starter that it is on a factory fly wheel. is that so?"

In this thread ( http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...light=flywheel )

for what I suspect is a Hays flywheel...it does appear that the ring gear on my hays flywheel is further away from the starter that it is on a factory flywheel.

Others have reported the same with some Hays flywheels...see this thread
http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6416

I think the key is to measure the starter gear engagement with the flywheel ring gear...
though this can sometimes be tough

Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I run an 11" CFDF clutch on a McLeod flywheel. I have used both their aluminum a steel flywheels.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What do you measure to get the correct size of the flywheel. I ordered a new PRW steel flywheel from Butler and it is the exact same size as the original flywheel. The only difference is the hole locations for pressure plate mounting. I am going to list the stock one for sale, just don't want to advertise it incorrectly. Of course I get the new flywheel and it does not have the counterbalance weight installed like its supposed to so now I need to contact Butler. Its never easy.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Senior Chief

Here's what your 11 inch CFDF will look like on that PRW flywheel.

And here is one issue you might run into with a stock type starter. I fabricated a 1/8 inch shim to correct the pinion engagement.

Do this BEFORE you install the flywheel

I'll assume you or Dave did the bellhousing concentricity/parallelism check.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did align the bell housing but I am using a hydraulic throwout. I appreciate the added information though.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I emailed Butler last night and they called me first thing this morning and they are sending me the counterbalance and correct screws.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have everything to install the flywheel but I need to remove the button bolts they installed when they removed the counterbalance so I can re-install it. They used red loc tite on the bolts. How hot do I need to get the bolts to get them out?