Old 03-21-2003, 08:21 AM

Somtimes I think they seek me out... and I feel like I am surrounded by a beehive! What bothers me more are the little domestics (Ford Focus and the like) that look like the ricers, with the fart can... etc. that think they missed their calling in the Fast and Furious. I usually don't waste my time, but sometimes they act like such jerks in traffic, I just have to put them in their place.

President and Founder of the Firebirds Forever Car Club. Check us out www.firebirdsforever.cc

Old 03-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Wier:
My Talon was actually assembled in the US by Americans, as are a lot of Honda's, its too bad its assembled from Japanese parts. The line between "import" and "domestic" is getting more blurry all the time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken! In other words, the line is clear -- rice is rice, whether it was built here with import parts or built overseas. You have a fast ride, but it's still rice. Rice is bad. Sell it and buy a Pontiac. That way, no more board space will be wasted on import performance. Screw mileage, and if you can't get a Pontiac to run 11.30's for under the $10,000 you spent on your Talon, then you should hang your head in shame. I'm not trying to insult you or anything, it's just that if you owned a Pontiac before, then I know you can be saved from the dark side of import garbage. Deep in your soul, you know it's wrong (lol)!

"My car would be fast if it had an engine, transmission, and rear axle in it."

Old 03-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BANDITONE:
THOSE EARLY FIREBIRDS CAN REALLY FLY.

http://kurtsplates.homestead.com/files/banndit.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That Firebird says, "I got your something for your import right here, buddy! Come get some." Very cool!

Old 03-22-2003, 03:40 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Screw mileage, and if you can't get a Pontiac to run 11.30's for under the $10,000 you spent on your Talon, then you should hang your head in shame. I'm not trying to insult you or anything, it's just that if you owned a Pontiac before, then I know you can be saved from the dark side of import garbage. Deep in your soul, you know it's wrong (lol)!

"My car would be fast if it had an engine, transmission, and rear axle in it."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$10,000 including the car, and still be very streetable, I don't know about that. Remember my talon runs that on cheap street tires, I drive to the track run low 11's and drive it home. I love old pontiacs but I have seen the massive potential of turbo AWD DSM's (eclipse, talon, laser). There are guys that run nines at 140-150mph with these cars, and can still drive them on the street.

Old 03-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Senior Chief

When I bought my Lemans, I had less than $6,000 in it to get it where it was before I took it all apart, including the purchase price of the car. It's a halfway decent looking car (by no means flawless), and ran 12.00's at 115 on dead radials (2.2 60 ft.) & mediocre (at best) stock 120,000 mile rear suspension. It's safe to say it should've had bottom to mid 11's in it on a good tire. I drove this car anywhere I felt like, on 87 octane, in the AZ heat, with no problems, and no maintenance but oil changes. My car is by no means exceptional or extremely fast, but 11's for well less than $10,000 is fairly easy to achieve.

Old 03-22-2003, 09:27 PM

Thats real cheap performance! 455 auto I assume. What year Lemans?

Old 03-23-2003, 01:47 AM
Senior Chief

1972, and with a Pontiac 350/TH350/3.36 gear 10-bolt combo.

Old 03-24-2003, 04:39 PM

What concerns me most about ricers besides their lack of taste is their assumption that a muscle car is big-money-out-of-reach fantasy. I see all kinds of cool cars available that are 60's to 80's american V-8 for under 8000. No you might not get a 396 SS Chevelle or a Ram Air GTO, but you can get a real nice Lemans, or 350 Chevelle, or a Camaro, etc . So you buy a rod for $5000 and dump another $5000 in it to make it run good and stop good and you've got a real head turner with real power performance. And it should hold its value. I mean these ricers think nothing of blowing 500 on a wing or 200 on an air filter. Its not like they dont have any money. Another one is gas prices. Cmon, where do these kids go anyway? College kids dont drive that many miles, work, school, friends houses. HA! I suppose this could be an issue, but when I put it on paper it really isnt a whole lot of money to drive something with style and power. I guess its just easier for Dad to just fork out 14K on a new Civic. He probably thinks its a safe car. Anyone thats ever been to a junk yard knows they dont repair these cars, theres just too much blood inside from the fatalities. Well thats fine if you want to be a turkey like so many others, but think for a moment what kind of car you can build for 14K.
We must get the word out "Americans buy and drive American cars." I don't buy jack from Japan if I can help it. Yes I have some electronic junk, but the point is I try to avoid buying Jap crap. Whats a tricked out Civic worth anyway after you buy it for 14k and dump another 6k of garbage into it. In 5-7 years it wont be worth 5k. Its really sad kids are so misguided these days. Hopefully the stupid rice trend will end soon.

Pontiac's that haul ass with Pontiac engines!

Old 03-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wont stop until companys stop making parts for them

1970 t/a clone g-machne in the works

Old 03-25-2003, 09:13 PM
Senior Chief

Danny,

Rice sucks. I couldn't agree more. However, we should be somewhat thankful that these shopping carts are gaining popularity, as that leaves that much more vintage iron for real car guys to wrench on.

Old 03-26-2003, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I took my 60 Ventura to track Sunday for Test & Tune session. Made 4 passes. Drew ricer's in opposite lane all 4 times. Blew away 4 ricers every problem child pass I made. Traction problems all day. These were all shake down passes and not ba**s to wall passes. Some of these ricers did look and sound impressive. They were not happy that a 43 year old FULL SIZE Pontiac had blown their doors off!

Outlaw Pontiac Racers Association"For Those Who Live The Legend"

Do it now fool! Life is short.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-29-2004, 01:00 PM

Hey all kids dont like ricers, im only 15 and i bought a 72 GTO 400 (soon 455) 4 speed that im building with my own money that my dad is helping me build, (who has owned 5 different GTO's) and most the people in my school love my car and my older brothers 350 2-speed powerglide powerd 71' nova, and those who do say imports are better are geeks who get beat up alot

--Nick--

Old 07-30-2004, 09:02 PM

I race the ricers every chance i get in my 350 2 BBl LeMans. But after a while it gets kinda boring. But i enjoy the look on there face when i lauch it hard and there still at the light. I am only 16 so there is still hope for the youth. American Muscle is the only way to go.

1972 Pontiac LeMans stock 350 2 BBL (for now)
Old 08-01-2004, 10:47 PM

&gt;_&gt;

&lt;_&lt;

I don't have a problem with imports. Yes, I prefer domestics, but I'll give full respect to anyone who is serious about their car, and serious about making it perform better... be it straight-line or handling. Yes, I know many people my age have obnoxious attitudes and all, but I wish more of the old-timers would recognize that what the kids are doing now is exactly the same thing they did way back when-- working with what they had available.
And let's be honest -- small, forced-induction engines are the way of the future as far as performance goes. Sure, a bellowing 455 is 10 different kinds of cool, but being able to have that kind of power in an engine that will get good mileage as well... can't argue with that logic.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Wier:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Screw mileage, and if you can't get a Pontiac to run 11.30's for under the $10,000 you spent on your Talon, then you should hang your head in shame. I'm not trying to insult you or anything, it's just that if you owned a Pontiac before, then I know you can be saved from the dark side of import garbage. Deep in your soul, you know it's wrong (lol)!

"My car would be fast if it had an engine, transmission, and rear axle in it." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$10,000 including the car, and still be very streetable, I don't know about that. Remember my talon runs that on cheap street tires, I drive to the track run low 11's and drive it home. I love old pontiacs but I have seen the massive potential of turbo AWD DSM's (eclipse, talon, laser). There are guys that run nines at 140-150mph with these cars, and can still drive them on the street. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you say that. My best run ever was a 11.4!117 at Cecil County. Drive it on the street and to the track and back. Paid 7K for it and added another 1K to it. It can be done.

http://home.ptd.net/~nvarnali/nick116run.wmv

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 08-04-2004, 01:05 AM

Speaking of ricers i ran into a honda civic the other day on I40 with v-tech and v8 eater stickers all over it. He had the nerve to try to race my 614 headed 455 71 firbird. Some little punk with his hat backwards that couldn't see over the steering wheel(or maybe it was the tach) started revving his engine and looking over at me. I told him to leave first and i think he did but i passed the weedwhacker and disappeared until i could not see him anymore. I let off and about 3 minutes later he still on the gas came up behind me jumping up and down in the seat all excited thinking he caught me. I have seen a couple nagasaki's in the 12's that can drive on the street but every single one is using a power adder.

Old 08-04-2004, 01:43 AM

And one more thing ricers that make 600 horsepower usually really make 300 horsepower with about 150 lbs of torque. Well let's see you can build a mild 455 that runs 12 shifting at 5400 rpms and put a 175 shot nitrous on it and runs hi 10's at a quarter of the price of ricer. So what's the point. Also i would like to see something that runs pump gas with 20lbs of boost that doesn't drive on the knock sensor? Maybe i am wrong then explain it to me.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll reply to this for fun. I h ave built a 455 powered bird that ran 11.7 for $5k total. Cost of car everything. It did it on DOT approved radials. I used 670's so I had to run race gas, but it didnt really need the CR. It got 13 mpg mainly cuz it had deep gears left over from the 400 that was in it before. It liked the 3.42's alot better, but didnt get a 1/4 time from it.

If you build any car to run faster than 11's you will lose mileage. If you are pushing alot of boost to a Honda you will not get 30 mpg. Power has a price and a ragged edge import will be just as crappy on gas as a V8 can be.

FYI, I have seen a new LS1 run an 11.94 with 2.73 gears stock internal and an automatic. he has a bout $1500 in mods. I really hate that car, cus its nearly as fast as mine and has AC and everything, but mine was cheaper.

Additionaly there is a small red Honda in my area that can run a low 12. He has upwards of 10K in the engine and says its all motor. There is nothing inside that car, only a drivers seat a shifter and pedals. He doesnt have AC either, and doesnt get great mileage either. He's very cocky and talks so much smack that nobody can stand to have him around. It will be fun to bust him when I get back to the states and get my new bullet in.

The import thing is dying off. Racing is fun, that is what makes people spend money on thier car year after year. lower ET's or more speed. Having to repaint it every year and worrying about scratches, adding wings and fart cans and you still get smoked by minivans wont play for long. The manufacturers are saying the parts arent selling like they were. I dont see as many of them around anymore, but I am seeing alot of truly quick cars come out of the wood work. In a few years or maybe even next year we wont hear a buzzing fart can anymore, then we can go back to Ford vs GM and Pontiac vs EVERYTHING, and maybe just maybe I can find a car magazine on a rack instead of stupid ricer crap.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:13 PM

Yes MOST ricers are pretty pathetic, but I have seen some very expensive ones run 6.99 at 200+mph in the 1/4. Then agian the same amount of money put into a v8 would produce more.

Im 18, a freshman in college and my STOCK 79 trans am 403/350/2.41 rear beat a turbocharged eclipse with a pizza cutter wing and fart can by a car lenght.

Here in Chicago there is a steet Archer Ave. Where everyone comes to race. Alot of ricers but some very mean cobras and newer trans am/corvettes.

One night I saw a newer model trans am doing an easy 50mph just start peeling out for about 1/2 a block when a corvette tried to mess with it.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:51 PM

at the moment im some what at the ricers level in my 79 trans am due to the 301 thats under the hood.its sad. i cant wieght to buld up a nice motor.thinking a 455 but they are somewhat hard to find local.