Old 12-14-2005, 12:40 AM

Talking roadracing Nevada style

Havent posted in awhile..still workin on my finances for my newest project...but in the meantime here's a cool pic of a lowered 2nd gen...AND a link from another topic forum...its an unbelievable in-car footage of an hillclimb car....I've run a couse similar to this (but no where as FAST!)..in fact our course has 500 foot+ drop-offs...enjoy!
http:http://www.hugi.is/hahradi/bigboxes....1208&f_id=1487
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galownia.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	35650  

1991 USMC KLR-250 "devil dogs" X's 2
1979 M-151 US Army Hooah!
1975 A-350 Condor Swiss army motorcycle 1 of 3000 made
1974 A-350 Condor Swiss army " " "
1966 M-274 A2 mule USMC
1966 M-274 A2 mule USMC
-------------------------------------
"Gort, Klatu barada nickto"

Last edited by transam_kahuna; 12-14-2005 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I hope to meet you guys on the top end soon. Got the suspension & HP, just waiting on the TKO to replace my muncie!

Old 12-22-2005, 02:55 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I give up- what does "STIJL" mean? I admit to not reading every word of this thread, so maybe I missed something.

"Roadracing" in the subject caught my eye, after driving European roads for 39 months back in the sixties. I was stationed in the Eifel Mountains, just a half hour drive from Nuerburgring. There was no statutory speed limit then, so driving public roads was a great experience. But the real opportunity-of-a-lifetime was driving Nuerburgring on non-race days- only one rule- don't stop on the track and don't go the wrong way! Any forum members ever drive it and want to challenge my 16 minute lap time? That was on the old 26 Km circuit, but I slacked off the last 4-5 Km- I was worn out after pushing to the limit through the first hundred or so corners! That was with my everyday '57 Chevy 4-dr wagon (4,100 Lb), but with spring rates and swaybar rates increased, and Pirelli Cinturato radial tires. Powertrain was a mildly modified '58 Pontiac Tri-Power (381 c.i.), Hydromotive Hydrostick, and Posi 3.08 rearend. I did run a second lap- after about a half hour cool-down for my brain! This time I pulled the caps off the headers and got some really puzzled looks from bystanders in the paddock area. But I didn't improve my time by more than a few seconds- still couldn't "hang it out" for the full distance. It was fun, but I sure gained a lot of respect for the racers who could memorize all 139(?) turns, braking points, etc.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"style"

Old 12-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Awesome video TK ---car looks like one of those that compete in the 24 hours of Daytona $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$---heres a link to that Awesome 1975 SCCA Road Race T/A www.jbp-pontiac.com a little more affordable and its a Pontiac too.

Last edited by Wareagle; 12-24-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy, that sure is a bad asp car kahuna. Other than the slicks I would like one like that for the street.

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 01-19-2006, 12:05 AM

Talking hillclimb car

Yeah..me too..love that look....uneasy did you watch the video of the hillclimb audi?...I want to do an in-car ideo of our local hillclimb course..main difference is that BIG BLUE isnt quite that fast!

1991 USMC KLR-250 "devil dogs" X's 2
1979 M-151 US Army Hooah!
1975 A-350 Condor Swiss army motorcycle 1 of 3000 made
1974 A-350 Condor Swiss army " " "
1966 M-274 A2 mule USMC
1966 M-274 A2 mule USMC
-------------------------------------
"Gort, Klatu barada nickto"
Old 01-19-2006, 11:46 AM

This has nothing to do with the topic but just had to post this... well the driver is european and it's hill climbing It is a classic.
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2674471

Old 02-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by transam_kahuna
Yeah..me too..love that look....uneasy did you watch the video of the hillclimb audi?...I want to do an in-car ideo of our local hillclimb course..main difference is that BIG BLUE isnt quite that fast!
Yep, it was COOL! I got a dial-up connection so it took about 45min to download it but it was worth it.

I would love to see an in-car shot of Big Blue!

Here is a road I would like to run my car on in a hill climb. It's called MaryHill Loops Road. I'll post some info. below. Just the drive through the Columbia River Gorge to go see the hill climb is worth the time! If you know the back way over from where I live (Tri-Cities area, WA) it's a GREAT drive over there. I would love to do an in-car of my TA going up this road but I think with the 2.73 rear gears and the 4-spd I would hardly see second gear. The only hill climb I've seen on it is a vintage race and I think they only run cars 1967 and older. It is open for rent though, I think, to anyone.

Here is some more info:

http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/loops.htm

Built in 1913 by Sam Hill, founder of Maryhill Museum of Art, the 3.6 mile-long historic Loops Road, the first paved road in Pacific Northwest, winds through the Klickitat Hills just north of the Stonehenge Monument near the junction of Washington Scenic Route 14 and U.S. Highway 97.

The road was completely refurbished in 1998 and is open daily from 7 am to dusk for bicyclists and pedestrians. There is no admission charge.

Sam Hill founded the Washington State Good Roads Association in 1899 and as its president represented the state of Washington at the first International Road Congress in Paris in 1908. He also established a chair of highway engineering, the first in the nation, at the University of Washington in 1907. The Historic Loops Road is a great place to experience his vision and era.

Seven types of experimental road construction were employed to build Loops Road, including liquid asphalt shipped from California.

An extensive collection of Samuel Hill's road related memorabilia is on permanent display within the Museum.

Car clubs and others interested in staging an event on Loops Road or to use it as a photo/film location are encouraged to contact the Museum at (509) 773-3733 or lee@maryhillmuseum.org. Additional views and a map of Loops Roads.

― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 02-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

guy,s got some overdue update pictures of the G-machine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	136.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	41806   Click image for larger version

Name:	137.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	41807   Click image for larger version

Name:	138.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	41808   Click image for larger version

Name:	141.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	41809   Click image for larger version

Name:	142.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	41810  

Old 02-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Great pics--did you look at the other additional pics I posted on the SWISS RACE T/A in the RACE section.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yes saw the pictures awesome car to say the least, wat kind of rims are those he is useing ........

Old 09-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info transam_kahuna. I haven't been on in awhile as you can see. I've had the car to 156mph and it was still pulling hard but I still haven't topped it out. I know it's not ready for the Silver State currently it's just something I dream of doing with it some day. Actually, I would build another car purpose built for it if I was going to do it. I would strip down a '70-'73 just because I like the way they look better. I burnt the low end out of my car a few months back and it's in the shop right now. I knew the stock oil control was poor but I thought it would be ok for the street. WRONG! I didn't have any idea how much better the car would take a corner with the new tires and on top of that the oil got low while I was out rodding on it on a long drive on curvey roads and that was it. It was haveing pressure drops in long sweepers like on and off ramp type stuff even when I knew for sure the oil was full. Costly little eye opener. I got a Canton Road Race pan from wheelspin and I'm going to get an accumulator too. I can see that if I were ever going to build an engine to run the Silver State it would have to be purpose built with dry sump and all the oiling tricks one can think of done to it. As it is I take the car on hour plus "fast" drives and the oiling system has to be up to par. There are lots of empty roads out here and as long as one doesn't get to crazy, stays in his own lane and has a radar detector you can do some spirited driving without to much risk.

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 AM

Thumbs up Link to a great silver state racer

Here is a good link to a silver state racer and their trials and good fortune. Great info for anyone who wants to go fast.
http://www.amx-perience.com/SilverState1997.htm

Old 11-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here is some road stuf i filmd with my frind http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Roadragedavid

Old 11-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

DAVID! That car is FREAKING COOL! I sure wish I could get my TA over there to take a drive with you. I would also love to take my car to the Nurburgring (spelling?) and drive the wheels off it.

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 11-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wel we whent out testing the tr2004r transmission, whe blasted four hours the 9min film is only a short part of it .coming summer we will rage with a bunsh of cars.when my own car is finised we will test it on the neurnberg ring as wel , afther the hick ups are workt out im going to partisiopate in the Cannon ball race europe!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like fun David! Sure wish I could be there! You will have to post pictures and vidio for us.

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 12-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're gonna drive the nurburgring, better start learning those corners now...

I managed 8:03 in a simulation that has the full blown 174 turn monster in it.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2681562

watch that a few (hundred) times...

And buy some good tires.

Last edited by bobzdar; 12-12-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:06 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Was it really 174 turns? I drove the full course back in the 60's and was remembering something like 137 turns (I don't mean I REMEMBER each and every turn!). An 8 minute lap? Wow! Did your stomach get upset? After my first 16 minute lap I was a wreck- just leaned against the car for 15 minutes and smoked about a half pack of cigarettes! But like they say about getting right back on after the horse throws you, I pulled the caps off the headers and tried again- a 15 minute lap.
Apparently I was stronger back then- my 4,100 lb. '57 Chev wagon had the faster power steering ratio (longer pitman & idler arms) but no power!

Thanks very much for the link! That's about the best in-car video I've seen of the 'Ring. Time-warp back 40 years for me.

Out of all those turns, notice how the "Carousel" turn gets your attention (just past half way around) with the deep curb cut on the left? Fortunately I had gotten good advice about it before I encountered it- to not instinctively use as much steering as the tightness of the curve would indicate- or you'll run over the inside curb, since the steep banking does most of the "turning" of the car.

A uniqueness of the 'Ring- a race track with three separate villages within its 'infield'!

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 12-13-2006 at 02:28 AM.