Old 06-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob67firebird428
hey firebirdcrazy , will a 70-73 nose fit a 79-81 bird ? will it work without changing fenders ? how much will a nose cone go for ?
Fit yes,work with out switching fenders yes,Depends on shape of it.$100-$400

Old 07-01-2007, 08:06 AM

Talking

Had a '66 Lemans 326/3 speed in Earl Schieb Diamond Ice Blue with White Rallye stripes back in '84. Car was GIVEN to my by a co-worker with a major drinking problem who didn't want a DIU or neg-homicide so he was giving up driving (I'd have given up the drinking myself...).

It cost me about $80 to get it out of storage, needed a radiator, clutch, shifter, and wheels (had aluminum slotted mags that shook loose every 5 miles). Total to put the car on the road was about $200 back then. Drove it for a couple of years and traded it for a motorcycle. If the rear wheelwells hadn't been hacked out to fit over the N-50's that were on it when I got it I may have kept it longer. It got 17 mpg in town, 23 hiway, and would smoke thru 1st and most of second on 205/70-15 radials.

While I was chasing parts for the Lemans I grabbed the front seat and console with vacumn gauge from a 64 or 65 Bonneville with a dual 4bbl 421, 8-lugs, etc that was really nice, but the yard owner wouldn't sell it complete. That was back before I knew what the car was really worth. Only thing wrong with it was a skipped timing chain according to the yard owner. Damm it...

AS for the '88 Safari with the built '76 400/TH400.... I needed something with more room for the family, that would tow my boat, and had most of the creature comforts (power everything, A/C, tilt, etc). Found it on a 3rd rate car lot for $600 with a stock 400 that had a dead cylinder (was originally 307 Olds powered). Bought the hotrod 400 from another wrecking yard for $400 (found out it was fresh and WELL built after I got it home). The selling point for the Safari was the receiver hitch, electric brake controller, and air overload bags (not air shocks). Solid tow rig, that was fun to drive.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wanted a Firebird or Camaro and could not afford a new one in 1969. The '68 was only 15 months old when we found each other in May 1969. It's been mine since.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wonderfull stories guys
Here is mine. Age one, family car was 57 starchief convertibe. totalled by garbage truck. White with blue stripe. (have picture somewhere) next up another starchief convertible only this one was black with pink stripe. Mom hated that car.
Traded that for her 69 gto convertible..which we still have. Read the article about the 65 2+2 going 0-60 in 3.9. Had to have one. Sept 82. 2+2 convertible for sale locally. Still have it. love all the big cars. Just the 65's a little more.
Patrick

Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hmm, I was born in 74 to put a barometer on things. I picked a 68 GTO for many reasons. 1968 was a tough year for my mom. Her cousin was hit in Vietnam at a place called Khe Sahn, her father died that September, and she miscarried. I met afella when I was 17 who had a nice 68 GTO. He was about 20 and took time from work to come out and start his car. I knew right there, it would have to be a 68. I liked the vent windows, the hidden headlights, and that GTO on the 1/4. I did my research and really fell for the car. nearly 10 years later I finally bought my own.

That 20 year old is now a close friend. He could have blown me off, he was working at his speed shop with his mom (family business), but instead he came outside and showed me his car, and yes he still has it.

Anthony

Old 07-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Because the 65 GTO ,post coupe is the best looking car ever built.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Suspended

I had a 69 Firebird that just couldn't/ wouldn't/ absolutely refused to hook up. I went looking for a better drag car to put my engine in. (at the time was a warmed up 455). Having this revenge to the idiots who put anything but a Pontiac engine in their Pontiac, (99.99 percent of the time it's a pos chevy engine), when I found the Vega, I grinned a bit. Yep, it's got a Pontiac engine now because chevy engines are for idiots.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 78 T/A was originally purchased new by my uncle in Ogallala Nebraska. He had taken me for numerous rides when I was young and showed me how fast it could go on interstate 80. It was always a blast to ride w/ him. In 1984 he wanted a new T/A so he sold it to my mom so he could have the cash for a new car quickly. After mom drove it a few years in Minnesota and Nebraska she was going to sell it. Well needless to say, I got my drivers licence in this car and had a passion for the car anyways and couldnt see it getting sold to anyone else. I paid 1500.00 for it in 1987 and still have it. As much as I have put into this car trailoring across country, driving, paint, suspension and motors, transmissions and rearends it will be in my garage until I can no longer drive. Then hopefully my Son will have enough interest to keep the car going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0971.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	98886   Click image for larger version

Name:	ta hood.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	98888   Click image for larger version

Name:	ta side.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	98889  

Old 07-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy
Because the 65 GTO ,post coupe is the best looking car ever built.
what he said

Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fell into my GTO. I didn't care about one brand of muscle car over another. I was kinda partial to the 69-72 Nova S/S's with a manual trans. But I didn't have anything. Well, maybe a mid-life crisis as more than one person has noted. A friend (Chris) had recently purchased a 69 Mustang GT with a 351/automatic and had been coming by my office in it. Then one day he came around in this slightly ratty 69 GTO. The car smoked/leaked and looked generally unloved. But pretty solid. 3 different kinds of semi-dry rotted tires. Chris had bought it from another guy and had intentions of running it on eBay after he lit the tires up for a few weeks. The 2nd or 3rd time I saw it I realized it wasn't a bad car. Wonder what Chris wants for it? We sparred around a little and he said 7K. Hmmmmmmmmm. That next Saturday I was putting on a pair of shoes and my wife was lounging around and I mentioned the car. And the price. Without prompting she said "Let's go get it". I drove it home that afternoon and the sucking sound hasn't left my billfold since.

I also have since discovered that there is something special about older Pontiacs. I'd have another brand, but it would have to be something special.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Chief

Back in the 70's at our local cruising spot I saw a guy that I didn't know but knew he went to our school driving a Silver '69 Goat. Later that night I got a chance to race him in my car ('65 Chevelle 396/4-speed 12 bolt 3.73). He dusted me. Ever since I've had my eye out for one. Finally found my '69 Convertible and it will be with me forever more. Wish it was as fast as that silver one but it just doesn't seem quite as important as it was back then. Still it's a lot faster than the average joe. I love the look on people's faces when they see it around town and especially different towns I have been to. You can just see them thinking back to the last time they ever saw one. Some of the shows I have been to will have teenagers that come over to you and say they have never seen an old GTO in person, just in magazines.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA
Default Why did I buy my year of cars???

Well, the 67 Firebird because it was the first year of the Firebird, first year of the 400, plus it's a 'vert and I knew it was pretty rare. I always liked the 1st gen Firebirds, they look so cool compared to a Camaro! After owning the 'bird for a while and some research, I figured a GTO would make a good investment (I'm not a speculator, but I try to be smart w/ my $$ and can't afford to buy another house out here in So Cal) so I started looking at GTO's. I loved the 70 at first, that front end is the business, but creases on the side just didn't do it for me, no offense to those who own a 70. Fell in love with the 66, the coke bottle rear quarters and that rear end, with the louvered taillight assembly and the chrome strip that runs around the deck lid is in my humble opinion the best looking rear end to ever come out of Detroit period - again, just my opinion. My Firebird was/is such a friggin money pit, NO WAY was I going to get another car in need of "a little work", I wanted something somewhat sound. Plus, my wife Rocio was coming to the end of her battle with Leukemia , so I know I was medicating a pain issue in looking for another car. No way she would've given me the green light to buy another car - now I have 3, what does that tell you? Anyway, GTO's were climbing through the roof, so I started looking at LeMans. Found my 66 on Hemmings.com one owner car 3 miles away, very clean, done deal! That didn't suffice, though, and I was still looking at GTO's online. I picked the 68 cause it was the Motor Trend Car of the Year, first year of the new body style, and after being denied so many times while trying to buy a GTO - 5 times, I was beginning to think it wasn't meant to be - I found my car, or should I say she found me. I'm still looking online - see what happens when you don't have a wife to put the brakes on things - and have my eyes set on a 64 post coupe, and this one WILL BE A 4 SPEED, DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My oldest sister had an '80 formula firebird, which i bought 301 hard top, back in '89. Car was totaled in 96 accident not my fault. 99 I found a gold 79 TA t tops 406 cubic in.
I like the front end the best 79-81 but I like 70-78 too.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Tone

I bought my 73 LeMans because parts are almost impossible to find.

73 Lux Lemans.
350 2brl. Single exhaust. TH350 automatic.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Because it was 1971 and I was looking for the biggest bang for the buck, I liked Pontiacs and it was a Pontiac. $3800 including $212 shipping. It is in the garage.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rad400, I've got 8 Formula W6 package 15x8 Snowflakes with 4 so so center caps and 4with mint medalions. My 79 had 4 wheel discs. Sadly it's interior was completely stripped.... as in not a thing left but steering wheel and stick up thru the floor. All I could saved was the wheels, never used spare and inflator can, and tail lights. I cried to 3 days.

As for my 1st 66 GTO, that was my very first car. My dad cisogned for it. It was a toss up on it for $1,100 or a 66 327 4-speed Corvette convertible with the hardtop for $2,200. Oh dopey me, but I never regretted the GTO. At least not until I rolled her over a snowback in April of 71 and totalled her. I cried for a week over that.... no collision on her. Oh dopey me. I paid for that car for the next 2 years...47 and change every month month.

I saved and bought a 63 GP with 389 and automatic for $300. had that for 8 months and found a cherry 66 326 powerglide Tempest with bench seat for $600. Dark blue with a light silvery blue interior. Can't remember the actual colors names. Dressed her up with a 66 GTO hood, grilles with GTO emblem, and GTO parking lights for under a hundred bucks. Powerglide started to go so like dummy I traded it off for a 71 Camaro with a 6 and powerglide in it. Again , oh dopey me. LOL But to just have fun I bought a 66 MGB for $500 for the summer and parked the Camero.

In 73 I found a Gold 66 GTO with 389. 4bbl, 4-speed for 400. Could never get it started so I sold it 2 months later for 500. Yeah, I know.

And then this year finally got the chance for another 66 GTO and grabbed it. I almost crapped my pants on the price but that's EBay. LOL Funny thing is it's mostly original. Needs TLC and some fixing but what the hell, I could be spending it on booze and other stuff. At least it replaces my 76 Super Glide custom I had. I will not buy and ride another motorcycle while I live in Delaware.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

gt182 where in De do u? live I live in newark sounds like u hade bad luck

Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL.. yeah I did but that was back in 93.

And I'm just down the road from you.... Bear. LOL We're staying with the stepdaughter until we settle on our new house in New Castle in October. Where are the guys from the GTO Club here in Delaware? Send me a PM Rad.

BTW... I'll be at Hagley for their show Sept 16th.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had sort of been a chevy guy because we had a 1967 Impala conv that was the hand me down car in the family.But my older brother purchase a 1967 firebird 400 when i was 15 and couldn't wait until i turned 16 to drive this car.And that 400 would run like hell,i'm pretty sure it was a easy 13 sec car back in 1982 when he had it.And at 17 i had my 1st firebird a 1969[$750] with the engine out of my brothers 67 but with the 2:56 gear open rear it would just lay one hell of a black mark and my 2nd was a 1967 bird[[$325] with a 326 2 speed and then a 1967 impala SS[$600] and at 18 yo i sold all three to buy a 1977 black and gold T/A,T.A.6.6 auto,non T-top and still have it till this day.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:42 PM

I've had my '66 Tempest for all of a week now. I have several excuses for buying it.
1) The start for smog testing here in AZ starts at '67. Avoiding that is huge.
2) It Works great and it will serve as my transportation to my internship.
3) My Dad had a new 67 GTO back in the day. (He got drafted and his dad sold it for very little. Ticked my dad off for years. I wonder if one of you lucky bastards has it ) So anyway, I knew dad would approve. Which is important to me. I emailed him some pics. I know he can't wait to take a ride some day next year.
4) It's in keeping with my bizarre Delorean theme. (That story has everything. I hear that Spielberg bought the movie rights after John died, but that's rumor at this point.)
5) I've come to grips with the fact that my dream car must have a back seat. All those sexy two seaters I've had can't be shared with a handful of friends.

Last edited by JZD_Fan; 08-19-2007 at 01:52 PM.