Old 05-25-2010, 11:24 PM

Pulled the engine out of the 65's chassis tonight [68 350 out of my 'Bird vert] I've got a few things to swap over but If all goes well it may sit in tomorrow. From the manifolds #8 was burning a bit of oil so it was probably time. Thought about headers for now until I took them off of the 65 and thought **** that noise it's not worth it for what I'm doing here. Need to swap the manifolds on [bolts came right out of the heads btw], pulleys, and A/c specific parts. Will probably throw the dual snorkel breather on it for asthetics if it'll fit. Gonna throw a kit in the 69 carb and put it on, moving the coil brackets, plug wire retainers and Vac hose sheilds over so I don't forget where they go.If a dryer isn't stupid money the A/C will work also. Got tempted by the 1.25" sway bar under the 65 but decided not to molest the chassis until springs / bushings go in it. Joints are tight. had it inspected by the ISP yesterday [OOS title] and my buddy that did it comment on it. kinda hinted he may like to own it when / If I let it go. I told him that'd be a while with the amount of blood and skin it stole from me.

Threw a set of brake hoses on it also so I can install them before I bleed the system. Got a tentative appt set up at the exhaust shop for it also for next week. I hope the trans works! Need to drag out a set of wheels and tires also, the Bias are flat enough I can feel them when I was pushing it around. besides that they're 33yrs old if they're a day.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-30-2010, 12:01 AM

Well the engine slid right in, for as hard as it was coming out it was a breeze going back in.Have the manifold at a buddy's machine shop getting the broken studs milled out.

Found a couple interesting things, the shift interlock linkage on this car is cad plated under the undercoating. Front body bushings are blue.Torque convertor has a pair of 5's inked in yellow on the it. One of the mounting pads split the numbers. Top of the steering box has a yellow ink spot also. Front pump of the trans has a number inked on it also in white. No numbers apparent on the firewall tho.

Got the thing mounted and fired off the carb with the fuel pump unhooked [ gonna clean the lines first as varnish dripped out of them]. Will probably drop the tank for a look also.

CDI ignition still works.

Sourced a reman master cyl, gonna take a couple day for the right unit to get here tho. I'm saving the oe unit for a future resleeving. Will install the new rubbber lines when I install the master. System will get flushed when I bleed it. It has a bit of pedal now but not much and the master's leaking out the rear.

Front convertor seal is still soft and looks new enough I took the chance and left it in.
Found out the trans pump moves fluid, blew it all over the core support in fact. [Rustproofing I suppose, before I remembered to tie them together]. I'm betting it'll shift by the fliud's condition.

Need to throw a filter in the trans and straighten a couple dents out of the pan, put the radiator back in and fill the cooling system, mount the A/C compressor.

I'm going to run it with flush in the cooling system before adding antifreeze, radiator was kinda grungy looking.

Need to do upper control arm bushings soon, rubber in them is pretty sad.

Looks like I should throw a set of brake pads on it also, the ones on it are pretty thin.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

POCI bound with this one?

Old 05-31-2010, 12:02 AM

That's the plan, summer driver, and Offender of all things pretty at the shows we attend.

She's not perfect and not pretty but is pretty solid for a car parked in 1977.

Got the rest of the engine bolted up today/ drained the oil out of the A/C compressor , refilled it with Esther oil, and got it mounted today. Looked at it and thought WTF and put the evac machine on it and drew a vacuum on it for 45 minutes to get the moisture out of it. Did a leak down test on it and it held vacuum for 45 minutes. I'll probably throw a drier on it and charge the system. Might be nice if the weather's ungodly hot like it has been while travelling. probably should find a A/C diamter 68 waterpump pulley at some point for the engine I stuffed in it.. Put all he old hoses and tower clamps back on it temporarily as I'm going to run flush thru the system to see if the radiator will lose some scale. Might be a mistake, as leaks may rear their heads. Right now it seems to be sealed.

I've got one peice I remember taking off underneath last fall but don't know, can't see where I took it off of, that I need to put back on it. It appears to be a heat shield and I think it came off of the drivers side but I'll be damned if I can see where it was.

Master cyl is ordered will be the iddle of the week before it show up tho. gonna do hoses at that time and flush the brake system. I've got a few vac lines to replace as I didn't swap over the Temp control switch from the intake for fear of destroying it.

Next will be to clean the interior and see what the diff looks like inside.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

heat shield mounts with the trans inspection cover bolts, left side, seems to have no real purpose

Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 AM

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM That makes sense. It was on there and I'm putting it back.

Thanks Kieth!

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Vrabec View Post
heat shield mounts with the trans inspection cover bolts, left side, seems to have no real purpose
Splash shield for shift cable & linkage on auto cars. Most are missing and can be hard to find if you need one.

Grant

Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 PM

I took a bunch of photos for when this one goes back with the OE engine I didn't think of taking a pic of that when I took it off last summer when I was trying to free the engine up tho.

Thanks for the info I KNOW my Column shifted 72 did not have that peice on it.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Parts book shows part number for that shield used only on '69 & '70 GP, must have done away with it for '71 & '72 GP...just like spark plug wire retainers!

Grant

Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 PM

Got the shield bolted on tonight, thanks.

Blew out the fuel lines and installed new hoses. shone a light down the fuel tank and it didn't look terrible so I installed an inline filter at the tank top line junction and dumped some fuel in her, primed the carb and she fired.

I had dumped 4 qts of trans fluid in it to prevent the pump from running dry and check the fluid, to my suprise it was only down 2 more qts. made me suspiscious but it dropped right into gear firmly and moved back and ofrth. Check the fluid again and it was Full. Amazing it must not've leaked out like every other TH400 does when sitting. Nice and pink too.

After a warm up period, i couldn't resist it and ran her down the road, trans shifts nice, speedo works, HVAC does everythng it should precisely[ air is not charged yet]. Tires are **** tho all over the road and square. RF wheel Brg is noisey, springs are too soft but that'll change in time. Exhaust sounds good but has more holes than a Strippers favorite pair of panties.

Picked up a Drier for the A/C today for 20.00 [new] price shocked me there also so the A/c will get charged.

Master Cyl didn't come in yet due to the suppliers F/U but will be here in the morning.
Can't comment on it's raod manners until those god aweful tires are gone and the new Master's on and the brakes are bled. So far it's encouraging tho!

P/O must've smoked cigars as the HVAC has a distinct odor of them.

Cooling system has straight water in it for now to flush all the **** out of it. Something's going to have to happen for guages as the idiot lights drive me nuts not knowing what's going on.

Still has a KMART air filter in it, I had to chuckle at that one.

i need to take the wiper motor apart and lube it and the linkage and maybe it'll work. So far it's the lone holdout.

Progress is being made.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad to hear it runs and drives.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Update on the master cyl. The one listed in the C/quest books is not correct for this car. After crossing the casting number on the OE cyl we ordered the one that came up and the push rod hole was deep instead of shallow, went back to the book and came up with 4 more possibilities. ordered them in for this morning and all 4 were wrong. Called the suppliers tech line and ended up with a number that looks to be a direct replacement. 1 1/8" bore which is correct for the Power brake units, same basic outside configuration and the correct divot for the short pushrod.

Part number is BPR 20-1743 my cost is around 30.00 and they're not gettting my Oe unit for the 7.00 core charge.

Passing this one for the next guy who needs a Delco unit for their car.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Senior Chief

Post Mid year change?

I've been curious to see how your master cyl. deal went. I have a set up from a '69 parts car that looks completely different than my driver, but both look factory. I looked in the Ames catalog and saw several different masters, must have been a mid year change.

Last edited by GpFreak; 03-22-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 PM

The master on the left is the common bendix one. The one mine is a dual bail unit looks like this if you can access the page.

The one on the right looks like a manual brake unit on this crappy monitor.

i'm not sure if you can or not because of how I get there thru my business acct.

https://www.mycarquesthomepage.com/a...Number=20-1743

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Senior Chief

Both are power disc brake cars, the one on the right has the same size wells front and back and looks just like the master that my '67 used which was power drum. As a side note the one on the left has as small spacer between it and the booster.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Got the brakes bled until I put rear brakes on this. I need to replace ALL of the front wheel studs due to a previous person's over tightening / stretching of the studs. i found more than one broken / mia. They won't take the oem torque.

New pads on the front [ceramic], pretty sure I removed the original pads also. gonna do the rear shoes also as they're down to the rivets.

Rotors are two peice units, which makes replacing the studs a pita. Wheel seals are still felt units. Found a couple interesting marks and a tag still on the rear drum. There was a yellow paint mark on the retaining nut for the front wheel bearings indicating where the positioning was for the cotter key. Also a yellow paint mark on the rear drum on one side, the other side had the paper tag on the drum. What i thought was a wheel bearing noise turned out to be a drum brake wheel on the disc brake spindle which caused the rim to contact the caliper.

All of the bolts / bleeders / hoses came loose with the exception of the line to hose nut on the D/S. had to heat it a bit.

i put a pair of the wheels i'm going to run on the car on the front end and couldn't find the lug nuts for the pair for the rear [ I'm thinking they got " allocated" by someone I won't name here] so i threw a pair of rally 2's on the rear and ran it down the road, drivability is greatly improved.

I should've taken the time to knock the dents out of the convertor cover as It's repositioned itself now and is rubbing the flywheel and making an interesting noise.

The drive looks like I've displaced about 100 or so mice from their condo in the exhaust system by the debris that's came out of the tailpipes.

Pics will come when i get my laptop back. It's giving the repair techs the same amount of grief it gave me. This old desktop is a pita and slow to process them.
Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-07-2010, 09:18 PM

slid on a set of rear brake shoes today, cleaned and lubed the adujsters and pivot points. Brake pedal is greatly impoved, stops better also! Found a RR wheel seal leaking, ordered that and a wheel bearing for the as a CMA just in case it's bad. Passed the shake test but that doesn't mean anything until i pull it out. No noise tho.

Bolted a set of vinatge AR-200 American racing wheels on it that I've owned for 25yrs, bought them off of the original owner's brother in the 80s and ran them on my 72 and others for years. Changed the whole look of the car. On to new new lug studs, and the axle seal soon. Radio works well, road manners aren't terrible, car must have a 3:23 diff in it, it's fairly quick for what it is.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

very cool Mike.
Any updated pictures?

patrick

Old 06-09-2010, 11:16 PM

/Not until I get my laptop back. This desktop is too slow to load them with. Then I've got a ton of paint marks, wheel change, ect.

Should be soon and I must say the C/S of the shop that has my computer is extrodinary.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 PM

Changed the O/P sender today out for a new one, serviced it, and took the wife and kids for a spin around the block. Brought a B-ball game to a halt in a burg just west of here when we drove by, balls dropped the whole nine yards, got a COOL CAR from one kid playing and the rest were slack jawed. I don't think they'd ever seen one before.

Needs rear springs BAD, gonna dig around to see what I have or I may pull a Melton temporarily. This is a budget build right now, cash is TIGHT!

Wife and kids smiled the whole time, Talk radio drove her nuts, kids just thought it was down right cool.

Finally got the last of the rat's nests blown out of the exhaust and she's now almost obnoxious. Gonna piece that up cheap for now, Pypes Race Pros will probably go on it later with resonators.

Lights all work, Brakes are firm, Wipers work after a little help, some lube and a set of refills.

She's getting there.

Still have an axle seal / possible bearing and upper control arm bushings to throw in it. Then I need to plate it and start driving it.

Mike

- Winston Churchill