Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lugnutt,

I am not telling you what to do with your project, but just be realistic. You are talking about 9 second chevy big blocks and Tiger headed IAII Pontiacs being expensive and supercharged LS1's being cheap? You can't just bolt a supercharger to a stock LS1 and have the equivalent of a 500 inch Pontiac or Chevy and not for the same money either. If you want to run any boost at all you are going to have to tear the motor down and rebuild it with lower compression pistons and better rods and so forth. The proce spread is not going to be what you think. The computer and harnesses for your car are not cheap either. I am not saying you can build a Tiger headed IAII fot the same money, and I love LS motors, but don't sell the Pontiac short. The world just keeps getting better for us Pontiac people.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have LS1 and 4L60E transmission, I got it the hard way, I started out with a perfectly good TA...

I would like to put it in a Astre/Vega, or a 240Z, something to run in the street class...

I look at it like its a corporate engine, since it was redesigned from the ground up, not like its a true Chevy engine...

I would never put it in a Firebird, unless it was a 3rd or 4th gen...

But thats just me, and my way of thinking...

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 AM

Can anybody give this guy some input instead of downtalking the swap? The chevy bashing is getting old. This sounds like a mustang site. Hell even those guys are coming around. I myself would like to see a couple second gen cars with this swap. Granted a highly rare example should be kept stock is he has the stock drivetrain. Get another subframe and do no cutting so everything can be returned to stock.

1969 firebird
1977 grand prix
1969 mustang
1973 road runner
1970 cutlass
Old 07-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out www.ls1.com. Pretty friendly to swaps there and lots of knowlege. I think these guys creme as soon as you say the word LSX.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcmike
The architecture is completely different from the original Chevy engine. It was designed from scratch by GM (not Chevy) Powertrain Engineers. I think only the bore center spacing is the same and the lifters actually fit both. It is a true "Corporate" engine because when it was conceived all Powertrain Divisions from the different brands were already consolidated. Of course that doesn't stop GM from playing both sides of the fence when they think it's beneficial for marketing (their latest anniversary book for the Chevy Smallblock included the LS motors). It's no more of a Chevy engine than it is a Pontiac engine.

G.M. calls it a Gen 3 smallblock, Gen 1 being the Chevy smallblock...you decide why they call it that...And shouldn't this thread be in the non Pontiac motors section???

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 07-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

so has anyone actually seen a lsx block in person?

I have as I am putting one together for a friend and this block is much much different when compairing it to a 1st or 2nd gen chevy.... it really is a pretty neat looking block about 225lbs 6 bolt mains 6 bolts per cylinder (original was 4 per cylinder) ....just a neat block take a look if you get the chance..... but we are still waiting for the head stud kit to be made

Chad

Old 07-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced mikey
G.M. calls it a Gen 3 smallblock, Gen 1 being the Chevy smallblock...you decide why they call it that...And shouldn't this thread be in the non Pontiac motors section???
Maybe you can explain it. So the name is more important than the parts? By this logic, the LS6 put in the C5 corvettes is a Chevy Big Block? Oh, hey, great. That means the LS2 they put in the late model GTOs really was a Pontiac (SD) engine, sweet!

What's a name mean? You can call it caviar if you want, but in the end it's still fish eggs.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to lugnutt

Did you guys see Pontiac High performance magazine, where they installed a LS1 in a
1st gen firebird? How can they do that in a Pontiac magazine? LOL

Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh, by the way. My STOCK 99' Trans am with a d1sc procharger made 430 rear wheel horsepower! Thats on a Mustang dyno, not the happy Dynojet dynos!

Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutt
Did you guys see Pontiac High performance magazine, where they installed a LS1 in a
1st gen firebird? How can they do that in a Pontiac magazine? LOL
A good 6.0 with l92 heads will do that also. Procharger does a wonder to these things bone stock. I cant believe people are not loosened up to the lsx on here yet. You can go a .060 overbore for 377 cubes. The new escalade and denali are this configuration and go test drive one of those.

1969 firebird
1977 grand prix
1969 mustang
1973 road runner
1970 cutlass

Last edited by 1bad70taclone; 08-01-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammen8
so has anyone actually seen a lsx block in person?

I have as I am putting one together for a friend and this block is much much different when compairing it to a 1st or 2nd gen chevy.... it really is a pretty neat looking block about 225lbs 6 bolt mains 6 bolts per cylinder (original was 4 per cylinder) ....just a neat block take a look if you get the chance..... but we are still waiting for the head stud kit to be made

Chad
I build them regularly. They are not that different but a little ugly to me. No pretty chrome to put on so i just polish every aluminum piece i can. And a very strong block even in aluminum. Get a book on them. There are several.

1969 firebird
1977 grand prix
1969 mustang
1973 road runner
1970 cutlass
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Senior Chief

I went from an old 72 Camaro with a built SBC, to my 99 WS6 with an LS1, and there is nothing "Chevy SB" about it. It's the newest, greatest motor from GM. It's not a chevy or anything its a GM. So what's all the fuss? They are amazing as far as power goes, and being efficient. Try getting 25mpg out of a 600 RWHP IA2...its not goina happen. I too believe in Pontiac in a Pontiac, but an LS series motor is a completly different story. Just my .02
-Jason

Old 08-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is the shiznit! Check out this link.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Old 12-22-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Uh... Well... Yes!!!

I'm doing it right now. 02 LS1 (from a Firebird WS6 Trans am) 05 T-56 (from a GTO) into a 69 Firebird vert that I'm making a T/A tribute. Absolutely the cheapest horsepower for the dollar. Had my engine built by Nickens Bros Racing Engines and is putting out 470 hp 420 ftlbs torq for less than $5,000. Now, I won't be ripping 9 sec 1/4miles, but the engine builder said I could with the right tune. Drive it there from home to the tract and still get 20+ miles to the gallon.

Check it out

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=45

I guess I'm an infidell, but its your car, do what you want and enjoy it.

Sam

Old 12-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg
It could be worse...

My kids were watching the 3rd making of "The Fast and the Furious" Tokyo drift. Towards the end of the movie the main guy, an American, takes a 68 Shelby Mustang and installs a turbo Nissan Skyline motor in it...

Talk about making a die hard purist sick...

At least the LSx motor is still a GM motor, with parts designed by Pontiac engineers.
I actually saw two of those cars when i was at the Volo Museum in IL.
no.. SH!T they really did put nissan motoros in them with turbos
the car looked nice, but man.... that was heart breaking...

hey.... at least they did that to a Ford and not a Ponti....

nice roll cage work inside the cars too

Old 01-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default LS1 in First Gen Firebird Info

Just thought I'd remind everyone that the first gen Firebird is not the strongest platform Pontiac ever made. Even with frame connectors, if your going to run some serious power, you'll need way more than a set of sub frame connectors.

A very good friend of mine is now in the process of having Super Duty build an IA engine for him with a super charger on it that is able to do I was told 800 HP no problem. But, his first plans were to use this for a 65 drop top he was given from his mom when he was a kid, be decided to go with a very nice pro built 79 TA. Because, the problem with lots of power, is it can ruin a nice car if many other things have not been considered.

Just a penny's worth of thoughts. Otherwise, make the thing the way you want it and enjoy it. I have two 68's myself, and I'm considering my 68 350 car as a place for the LS1 I have with less than 40 k on it. If, I can't sell it first.

Have fun ........ Mike

Old 02-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Check this work of art out!
www.extremefirebird.com

Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Jimbro727

I didn't read past the first page so maybe someone already said this.. but I don't get why everyone freaks out when guys talk about dropping an LS1/2 in a classic pontiac. Sure I see it *sometimes* in the car magazines, and not even really that often, and I subscribe to quite a few, but I rarely (read: almost NEVER) see them at car shows! So I'm not really sure how many guys are out there doing this.

In any event, why is an LS1 or an LS2 a Chevy block? GM puts them in Pontiacs, too. GTO anyone? Firebirds?? Whatever muscle Pontiac turns up next might very well have an LS2 under the hood. If it doesn't it will definitely have some LS series that some guys will brand as a Chevy. The days of each GM branch designing their own engines is over. I'm sorry to say it, but that time has passed.

Now, if someone wants to combine the reliability, power, and economy that a newer engine offers with the classic, bold, muscular look of some classic muscle, then why not? Why does everyone have to harp on it? This poor guy started a thread asking about some specific questions about putting an LS1 in his first gen bird, and all of a sudden some of you guys start bashing him. He wants to do it, and I say go for it! Your bird will rock. It will kick ass all day at the strip, get better fuel economy than a comparable classic block, and it'll be a fun learning experience. You'll be making the type of car that Pontiac SHOULD be making today! Classic styling with modern performance.

Go for it!!

---CARS---
1978 Pontiac Firebird T/A - Martinique blue/blue interior - 400 bored .030 over and stroked with an Eagle kit to 458, SRP forged pistons, Eagle crank, 6x heads, comp cams springs, comp cams hydraulic flat tappet cam, TH-350, and a Jeff Walker Q-Jet.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2982177
Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbro727
I didn't read past the first page so maybe someone already said this.. but I don't get why everyone freaks out when guys talk about dropping an LS1/2 in a classic pontiac. Sure I see it *sometimes* in the car magazines, and not even really that often, and I subscribe to quite a few, but I rarely (read: almost NEVER) see them at car shows! So I'm not really sure how many guys are out there doing this.

In any event, why is an LS1 or an LS2 a Chevy block? GM puts them in Pontiacs, too. GTO anyone? Firebirds?? Whatever muscle Pontiac turns up next might very well have an LS2 under the hood. If it doesn't it will definitely have some LS series that some guys will brand as a Chevy. The days of each GM branch designing their own engines is over. I'm sorry to say it, but that time has passed.

Now, if someone wants to combine the reliability, power, and economy that a newer engine offers with the classic, bold, muscular look of some classic muscle, then why not? Why does everyone have to harp on it? This poor guy started a thread asking about some specific questions about putting an LS1 in his first gen bird, and all of a sudden some of you guys start bashing him. He wants to do it, and I say go for it! Your bird will rock. It will kick ass all day at the strip, get better fuel economy than a comparable classic block, and it'll be a fun learning experience. You'll be making the type of car that Pontiac SHOULD be making today! Classic styling with modern performance.

Go for it!!

Amen!!!!!!!!