Old 10-01-2019, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ames Door Savers

Anyone used the Ames "Door Savers" for the hideaway headlight door covers? I have the typical examples with some broken tabs, trying to decide whether to go repop, door savers or try to find good used examples.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Anyone used the Ames "Door Savers" for the hideaway headlight door covers? I have the typical examples with some broken tabs, trying to decide whether to go repop, door savers or try to find good used examples.
Only problem is I think you will see them. How bad are they? One of my doors had a broken off corner, I was able to rebuild it with a plastic welder & wire mesh reinforcement melted into the backside. Worked great. I might have pictures of that repair.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ehhh .... they are not good ... each one has at least two broken tabs ... tabs are still there under the screws. I've got a plastic welder ... brand new, should probably learn how to use it better

What kind of plastic are they ... ABS? I noticed JB weld adheres very well to them if you scuff them slightly. Probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try .... if I end up using the door savers anyway any botched repair will be covered.

They CLAIM in the description they are all but invisible ... but I've never seen any pics of a set installed.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't remember what filler rods I used. I probably have that same heating iron that just melts the plastic. Melting those metal screens into the backside really strengthens the plastic melted together. I have seen them, but its been a while. There was something about them were you could see the ring where it meets the plastic. clean I suppose though.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-01-2019, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I fixed mine by rebuilding the corners with JB Weld. They've held great for 15 years, but I do have the highlight door savers too. You don't really notice them once they're installed, but they're fairly thin metal so if you're missing big chunks out of your corners, you'll probably want some kind of support behind them.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 10-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Senior Chief

I used them and no one ever noticed in 25 years. I had to fill in missing pieces with JB Weld.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5ECAEE03-F5AA-4150-A61D-3FFDC6104248.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	521332  

Old 10-02-2019, 03:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like I might have to go the door saver route. Took the screws out and numerous pieces fell out at the same time. One door is probably fixable, the other isn't ... since the savers come in pairs I'll probably use them both.

Anyone seen any of the repop covers ... decent quality?