Old 10-08-2019, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was very productive this past weekend, but spent most of my time working on other stuff -- disassembled the engine that I sourced for the Alfa Romeo, coached a soccer game, did a bit of long overdue woodworking, etc.

Same stuff lined up this weekend - brakes and suspension. Hope to have the car sitting level and with working brakes by end of the day on Monday.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love having a productive day ... makes the world seem fun again.

I go in spurts ... sometimes I'll do more on the GTO in a week than I have done for the previous 3 months.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I love having a productive day ... makes the world seem fun again.

I go in spurts ... sometimes I'll do more on the GTO in a week than I have done for the previous 3 months.
Yeah, it's crazy how the planets line up some days and you just get on a roll.

But those days are usually offset by the days where a seemingly simple job turns into a complete fiasco...

Old 10-11-2019, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Worked on replacing all the parking brake cables today. Got the rears swapped out. Need to remove the front cable from the pedal and route everything. Got the parts from Inline Tube. Nice looking stuff at a decent price.

Also worked on getting the car sitting level. Pulled the aftermarket rear springs out and put in some used stockers that I had laying around. That dropped it about 1" in the back which should work.

Will probably swap out the new Umi springs up front for some that came from a 68 GTO parts car. Right now it's about 3" too high in the front.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's been my fear re: changing springs. Worried that I'll do all that work and wind up with the 4x4 look.
I also have a 10 bolt Nodular rear sitting here ready to install...now I'm concerned that I'll regret changing to a 3:55 from a 2:78 the first time I drive any distance on the interstate. Also, I have a feeling that I'll be opening a can of worms of the u-joint variety when I go from an 'O' type rear to a 10 bolt BOP rear.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?

Old 10-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
That's been my fear re: changing springs. Worried that I'll do all that work and wind up with the 4x4 look.
I also have a 10 bolt Nodular rear sitting here ready to install...now I'm concerned that I'll regret changing to a 3:55 from a 2:78 the first time I drive any distance on the interstate. Also, I have a feeling that I'll be opening a can of worms of the u-joint variety when I go from an 'O' type rear to a 10 bolt BOP rear.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?
Are you running 15" tires? If so, 3.55 shouldn't be bad unless you want to cruise at 80 mph.

I have 3.90 gear now; running 15" BFG's. I wouldn't want to take a long interstate trip with it, but it's not ridiculous. I have a spare set of 3.55's in the garage that I'll eventually install.

Scott

Old 10-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Made some decent progress this weekend.

-Picked up a Napa battery to replace the dead Optima red top.

-Got the brakes bled. Wife is getting pretty good at the old "pump and hold" drill.

-Fixed one brake line leak. So much easier to seal up the OEM stuff; glad I took out the stainless steel lines.

-Got a fixture to mount my camber/caster bubble gauge on the wheel.

-Took it around the block a few times to test brakes and transmission. Took my 6 year old daughter with me on one trip and got it sideways as we were pulling out onto the 4 lane -- she squealed with delight! Kept egging me on to do it again.

-Checked all fluids, tires, etc., to prep for starting to drive it to work on nice days.

This coming weekend here's what I need to tackle -

-Set camber, caster, toe. Have everything I need to do this in the garage.

-Drop pan on TH400. Verify dipstick is reading correctly (line up "full" mark with pan mounting surface). Check pan for clutch debris.

-Finish installing new parking brake cables.

-Verify throttle cable adjustment.

-Adjust steering box.

-May work on some electrical gremlins, one of my least favorite things to do.

-Sell a BUNCH of parts -- slowing cleaning out my storage unit of stuff I've hoarded....errr...collected...for the past decade or so.

Scott

Old 10-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez ... ya bastard, you are driving it .... I can't see that far into my future

Know what you mean and selling stuff ... I'm trying to do that now .... and trying not to sell anything I might need later.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Jeez ... ya bastard, you are driving it .... I can't see that far into my future

Know what you mean and selling stuff ... I'm trying to do that now .... and trying not to sell anything I might need later.
Not driving it much. At least not yet. But if I don't get it going soon, I'm going to miss the nice weather. Around here, you can blink and you miss fall.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Are you running 15" tires? If so, 3.55 shouldn't be bad unless you want to cruise at 80 mph.

I have 3.90 gear now; running 15" BFG's. I wouldn't want to take a long interstate trip with it, but it's not ridiculous. I have a spare set of 3.55's in the garage that I'll eventually install.

Scott
Just noticed this.. Yeah 15" tires but I went low profile, 225/60s, to make up for the steep gearing.. now I realize that I could have gone a little taller on the tires and hope that won't be a problem with the 3:55s.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With a certain amount of shame, I am bumping an old thread...

Car has been languishing on the lift for the past few years. In my defense, I got into early Broncos for a bit. In the space of a few years, I bought and sold about 5. Still have a '69 Bronco project, currently sitting under the lift that's holding the '68 Lemans up.

The TH400 in the Lemans ended up ****ting the bed, so I removed it a few years ago and disassembled it. It's been taking up space on my bench, disassembled, since then.

And then I decided not to retire from the Army (I have 25 years service) and ended up transferring to the Washington DC area. Wife and daughter remained behind in San Antonio, so I'm a geo-bachelor for a few years.

Been trying to keep the project car purchases to a minimum, but I picked up an '87 F250 project (regular cab, 4x2, SRW, 460/C-6) that I'm about done with and an '87 F350 project (crew cab, RWD, DRW, 6.9/ZF-5) that I'm about to get started on.

Anyway, I'm home for Christmas and am trying to make progress on getting the trans back together.

I'll post any worthwhile updates here.

Old 12-26-2021, 03:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FOCUS
I know they taught you that skill in the military

Old 12-26-2021, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard somewhere that getting sidetracked on different projects is the quickest way to not make any progress....lol. I've been guilty of it myself though.
Just noticed my previous two posts on this thread. I finally got the 3.55 rear installed, the u-joint situation sorted added a little taller tire in the rear. I have done everything except drive it!
I did chirp the tires in my driveway just to make sure that the limited slip was working and it is.
By the way, I don't really blame you on the early Broncos. I really like them and they are very, very popular right now. I saw a real beauty on the street yesterday in that sky blue and white color combo.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 12-26-2021 at 02:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2021, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I've heard somewhere that getting sidetracked on different projects is the quickest way to not make any progress....lol. I've been guilty of it myself though.
Just noticed my previous two posts on this thread. I finally got the 3.55 rear installed, the u-joint situation sorted added a little taller tire in the rear. I have done everything except drive it!
I did chirp the tires in my driveway just to make sure that the limited slip was working and it is.
By the way, I don't really blame you on the early Broncos. I really like them and they are very, very popular right now. I saw a real beauty on the street yesterday in that sky blue and white color combo.
Looking good, Greg!

The Bronco that I kept is a legit barn find out of Mississippi. Used as a hunting truck by an elderly gentleman who passed away many years ago. It's beat up but very solid. Runs and drives at this point, but not quite roadworthy yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6530.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	580683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6531.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	580684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6529.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	580685  

Old 12-26-2021, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That one does look pretty solid. I probably mentioned it before but I really regret passing up on one from the guy that I bought my 68 from. I could have gotten it for three grand at the time. As I recall it had a transmission or shifter problem of some type. Other than that it was in good driver condition. Of course, that was in 2005. Things have changed considerably since then in regard to values on those.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That one does look pretty solid. I probably mentioned it before but I really regret passing up on one from the guy that I bought my 68 from. I could have gotten it for three grand at the time. As I recall it had a transmission or shifter problem of some type. Other than that it was in good driver condition. Of course, that was in 2005. Things have changed considerably since then in regard to values on those.
Yep. Folks are getting six figures on Bring a Trailer for driver quality stuff. Insane.

I'd fluff my '69 and sell it but then I'd have to find one to replace it.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
FOCUS
I know they taught you that skill in the military
The military doesn't really teach you how to focus, you just get pummeled when you lack focus. Eventually you figure it out...

My main issue at this point is that the car is 1,500 miles away, and when I'm home on leave, I'm trying to spend quality time with the wife and daughter.

That'll change when I retire in August 2023 and I move back home.