Old 10-15-2019, 03:51 AM

Default 15 X 8 Snowflakes on 1970 Second Generation

Looking at buying a set of 15 X 8 Year One snowflakes for my 1970 Formula 400 along with BFG TAs in the 235 - 255/60 size range. BS on the snowflakes is 4.5", section width according to Coker is in the 9.5" to 10.2" range for those size tires.
Suspension and brakes (front discs, rear drums) are original except for Global West upper control arms, with stock leafs and original 12" rear end.
Anyone know if this combination will work without rubbing on body or suspension? I know the snowflakes came stock on later TAs, but are they a fit for the early 2nd Gen?
Thanks for any input.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before buying a set from Y1, def worth reading comcerning the issues with the impropperly machined centering hole.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...Snowflake+year

Personally would search out a fairly clean original set of wheels & have them locally remachined/restored. The best candidates should have minimal brake dust damage. Brake dust damage is the major problem, not lightly curbed edges.

On 2nd Gens, bought & installed well over a dozen sets of 255 60R15's on 15x8 snowflakes & Turbo wheels back in the early to late 80's. Was my experience there's a bigger rubbing issue at the stock wheel lip on a heavily equipped car at the rear wheel wells than there is in the front wheel area. My experience is 245's & 235's don't have enough section width to protect the near 9" wide 15x8 alum wheels. The same problem existed when factory equipped the cars with 225/70's. in the day, Goodyear made three different Eagle 255 60's, with the NCT having a near 3/4" narrower section width, but it was stickier than both the slightly wider Eagle GT & the entry line ST. Mention that, as every few weeks one PY board "contributor" loves to throw out absolutes of tire height /size. Always get a chuckle out of his statements, as different tire lines are often made with different section widths & overall height in the exact same listed size. Best to mount 'em and ck them before making such broad statements.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Default 15 X 8 Snowflakes on 1970 Second Generation

Thanks for the response - I had not heard about the YO hub issues. I am guessing its the same for the Ames, Summit, and Classic Ind products (?). I am gonna look around for original sets and see what's out there.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcruz70 View Post
Thanks for the response - I had not heard about the YO hub issues. I am guessing its the same for the Ames, Summit, and Classic Ind products (?). I am gonna look around for original sets and see what's out there.

ive read about the issue as well... but, a friend just bought a set of 15x8 from summit & they fit great with no issues with fitment. these were not available for a long time last year, everyone had them on back order. then as of late spring they became available & the set my friend got didnt have any issues so maybe they are fixed now?

but yes 15x8 snowflakes will fit early 2nd gens with no issues, i had a set on my 72 for a season with 275/60 in teh rear & 255/60 in front. no rubbing at all with a PTFB ~2" lowered suspension & upper tubular arms.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To me, snowflakes on an early 2nd gen looks out of place, but that's obviously a personal opinion.

Why not use Bandits? They look great, fairly correct, and you can go to a tire size that has way more options?

There's plenty of examples/pics here, look at the thread and see if you like them. They are very reasonably priced too.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be