Old 04-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
I tried to rebuild a TH400 about 15 years ago. I bet I could do it now but it was such a bewildering jigsaw puzzle to me back then.

What size stall did you get? I've been running the Continental 13" for a few years now, but I'm considering switching to the 11".
I'm going with the 13" converter. It was a no-brainer for me. If this was a hardtop and more performance oriented, I would go with the 11". Speaking of performance oriented, this combo should get me deep into the 12s. If the planets line up right, high 11s are possible.

Thanks

Scott

Old 04-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I'm not an engine builder either...but I understand the internal workings of an engine and am sure I could do it as long as the machine work was handled by someone else.
Trannys on the other hand are a complete mystery to me.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Well, I'm not an engine builder either...but I understand the internal workings of an engine and am sure I could do it as long as the machine work was handled by someone else.
Trannys on the other hand are a complete mystery to me.
Lot more moving pieces in an automatic tranny, but they're all in different assemblies - forward drum, direct drum, valve body, pump, etc. You can "divide and conquer."

It's been a while since I did a manual trans, but I think manual trans is easier than an automatic.

Scott

Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I liked Cliff's Q-Jet book so well, I may have to get this one-
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-...1934709207&r=1

Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I liked Cliff's Q-Jet book so well, I may have to get this one-
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-...1934709207&r=1
Didn't realize that Cliff had a TH400 book! Will have to order a copy.

Took the day off work yesterday to work on the Lemans. Made a LOT of progress. Pics to follow.

Thanks

Scott

Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's where I started yesterday morning at about 9 am -

After a bit of work...

Last edited by bulletpruf; 04-19-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Front bumper and grilles were already off when I started. Also got a new core support from our host, so figured that the old one might as well come off now, too - - easier access to the front of the engine. And just a few more bolts held the fenders and inner fenders. Taking them off will make it much easier to clean and paint the firewall and frame. Both fenders and inner fenders were in good shape; even the front of the driver's inner fender was fine; wasn't rotted out with battery acid.

I think I had it out by 1 pm or so. For the first time, I didn't have stop to remove something or free something that I forgot to unhook. Came out with no real drama.

Lots of oil leaks on this engine, and trans, too. Trans crossmember had 1" of crud built up in some places; it was in beautiful condition when I got it all off. I'll spend the weekend cleaning and blasting parts, cleaning engine compartment, suspension, frame, etc.

Last edited by bulletpruf; 04-19-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing real special about the engine. Just a 2bbl equipped 350, ST300 (2 sp auto) trans. Only thing of any value was the 410 coil; didn't realize it had one and just paid $200 for a nice one from a PY member. Anyway, the engine ran fine, but must be kind of worn out - was quite easy to turn it by hand to remove the torque converter even though the plugs were still installed.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ST300 2 sp trans was leaking all over my garage floor. Tried changing the pan gasket several months ago, but seems to be leaking from the front pump area. Think I'm going to scrap it; don't believe these are worth anything.

Keeping the engine for now. Need to make sure my 455 runs fine. If not, I could end up doing a redneck ring and bearing job on the 350 to get the car mobile again.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Why do these coils cost so much? There is a 134 coil on PY for $475 + shiping. WOW

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Spent all day Saturday removing and cleaning more parts from the firewall and engine compartment and cleaning up the front frame and suspension. Resisted the urge to disassemble the front suspension, rebuild, clean and paint. Just don't have time to do that; timeline to get the car done (including paint) is tight - - leaving for Korea in June and I still have to put my Javelin back together, too.

Spent all day Sunday doing something that I really enjoy - no kidding - cleaning/degreasing, blasting, and painting parts. Just nice to pull a crusty/rusty/grimy piece off a car, get the grime off, blast it clean, hit it with the correct shade of paint (or clear), and it looks like new (or close to it). Did all my blasting outside with a portable Sears hopper and gun. Did it over a tarp and once the hopper was empty, I just scooped up the used sand and put it back in the hopper.

I was definitely king of the spray bomb, too. Used some Seymour's Cast Blast and Aluma Blast; Eastwood flat clear, VHT high temp exhaust paint, LOTS of Rustoleum semi flat, a can or two of aircraft stripper, and 6 cans of brake clean. I have about 25 different parts hanging from the garage rafters on coat hangers.

I still need to finish stripping a few more parts from the firewall and also have to get some more grime off the front suspension. Once that's done, I'll prep and paint. Figure I'm spray bombing both with semi-gloss and will mask off the areas that don't get/need any paint. That will probably take another day or so of work.

Then I can bolt on the pulleys, starter, alternator, flexplate, torque converter, engine to trans, prime the oil pump then set the timing, and drop the engine in.

One question - so the engine stands (or whatever you call them) that the motor mounts bolt to are different. The driver's side is noticeably taller than the passenger side. Are they supposed to be like that or are mine mismatched?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you clean the coil up?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz68 View Post
Did you clean the coil up?
Coil is cleaned up. Will probably sell it; don't need an original one for this car.

thanks

Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Engine compartment is looking pretty good - I removed everything from the firewall, cleaned/degreased it, and scuffed it a bit so the paint would stick. Then I hit it with semi-flat black Rustoleum - looks pretty darn close to the original.

Also cleaned up all the crud from the frame and front suspension and did a bit of spot painting.

Will post some pics when I get a chance.

Got the flexplate on, converter seated into the trans (at least I hope so!) and engine bolted onto trans. Dang trans/converter combo is heavy - - I was able to muscle it into place and start a bolt to hold it there, but my lower back reminded me that I can't deadlift 500 lbs any more.

Once that was assembled, I dropped the engine and trans into the engine compartment. Man that was easy without any front end sheetmetal or core support to navigate around!

Engine is secured to the motor mounts for now; may end up lifting it up slightly if I need clearance to install headers. Speaking of motor mounts, I think I answered my question on frame mounts - the driver's side frame mount is supposed to be taller than the passenger side.

Next step is to install the boxed crossmember (from a GP - same width as convt crossmember), driveshaft, and headers. Will install and wire the starter after the headers are in place.

Scott

Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got engine, trans, etc, installed, but ran out of time. Had to get ready for my move to Korea. Ended up taking the car to a buddy of mine in Fayetteville, NC - Big Rick Antisdel. Rick just finished my '66 Fairlane GT convt; he does great work and prices are reasonable.

Anyway, cam is broken in, engine running fine. Now it's bodywork, paint, interior, and top.

Scott

Old 12-25-2013, 06:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Starting to make a bit of progress on the body. Going to paint it Nordic Blue, white top, white guts.

Scott

Old 12-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good colors!

Merry Christmas Scott!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

seem like you and I are pretty similar. I have a 69 custom s convertible, but it was cloned to a GTO. You seem to be able to do the work with your eyes closed though, and I need step by step Congrats on the ride though

Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Menace View Post
You seem to be able to do the work with your eyes closed though, and I need step by step
It ain't his first rodeo. Once you've done a half dozen of these cars you can get where you do things blindfolded ;-) You'll get there soon enough if you stick with it.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
ST300 2 sp trans was leaking all over my garage floor. Tried changing the pan gasket several months ago, but seems to be leaking from the front pump area. Think I'm going to scrap it; don't believe these are worth anything.

Keeping the engine for now. Need to make sure my 455 runs fine. If not, I could end up doing a redneck ring and bearing job on the 350 to get the car mobile again.

I have sold two of those two speed trannys to local racers. There is a class that runs them. Worth $100 around here for a working used tranny.

Also on that 350, I believe the water pump and timing cover are one year only. Worth keeping those for resale.