Old 09-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Is AC Delco ..American Made ?

Looking for some OEM tune up stuff for the 67 GTO...and would like American made parts..cap rotor ,points ,wires...thanks

Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 PM
Administrator

gotta be careful and ask. Just because it is a delco part doesn't mean it's made in USA. However, Delco clearly lists the country origin of their parts right on the boxes.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My ACD clutch and pressure plate were make in China. They did not last long nor work well.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well as a former Delco Moraine/Delphi employee in Dayton Ohio, I can tell you they packed up all of our brake manufacturing equipment and sent it to China with a big red ribbon on it.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just bought a set of AC Delco points, condenser and rotor for my 71 Lemans. All 3 made in Mexico.

US AC Delco Ignition part production ended in the mid to late 80's when most manufacturing was moved from Anderson Indiana to Mexico.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As already stated, AC Delco parts are made all over the world. Might even get lucky and have a trinket or two made in the US, possibly the box or instructions. Lifelong resident of Dayton, OH. At one time, we had 9 large operating units of GM employing thousands and thousands of hard working Americans. Now we have exactly ZERO. The only GM production is the Duramax Diesel engine which is an Isuzu engine with an American sounding name. They only employ around 500 workers. The largest single employer left in Dayton, OH proper is the school I worked at, Sinclair Community College. At one time, Dayton was nicknamed, "little Detroit" because of all the car related production.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to EBAY and purchase New Old Stock AC Delco parts if you want the best, USA made parts that originally came on your car 50 years ago.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-16-2017, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can buy much better quality points by looking for a marine application, and most likely Blue streak. AC plugs not available are often found this way too. They have a "M" at the Beginning . ( MR45TS is one example) they will have blue rings and sold by the each, carded, Not boxed.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Blue Streak I bought ..said Mexico.....that's pretty close to the USA ...right ...lol

Old 09-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, these large corporations love to say "Made in North America" to try and fool us. They will do anything to avoid providing a job with a living wage for an American worker. Can't blame them. Up to this point there has been no incentive or reason NOT to send the production to the third world.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
The Blue Streak I bought ..said Mexico.....that's pretty close to the USA ...right ...lol
Thats happened to me, but when you get into marine quality, its usually Not a Mexico product.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is Echlin from NAPA still U.S. made? Haven't looked in awhile.

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition...!"
'69 Cameo White RA III Judge, 4 speed, owned since 1977 -- my first car.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not much Delco made in the USA anymore

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 09-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPete View Post
Is Echlin from NAPA still U.S. made? Haven't looked in awhile.
We are an Echlin dealer. They are also a "Universally Sourced" company. I just went back and looked at a random shelf and I saw everything from Mexico to Israel to the Good Ol' USA.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:53 AM
Senior Chief

I bought an AC delco remnned hitachi alternator of rock auto for $25 once. It put out 16.9v!

I suspect that most of it is from out of the country. The standard of living is to low over seas and most companys exist to make share holders money.

It's hard even getting things from German or Japanese companys any more. I just got an SKF from India - one of four bearings I bought SKF.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I worked at Carquest we used to get Standard parts and sometimes Blue Streak if it was on the shelf long enough. Even their stuff is mostly not made here anymore I don't think. As was mentioned, look for NOS if you need it. I managed to save a few parts books from hitting the dumpster so I could use them for reference. Maybe look for those parts books on eBay for cross reference numbers and either Google the part number or put it into eBay. Generally you should find some NOS stuff that way as well.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Getting quality tune-up parts or any auto parts American Made is going to be difficult, if not NOS. For all the reasons listed in the thread, third world countries are the darlings of these giant conglomerate's stock holders. I have had to lower my standards accordingly. I generally reject anything electrical from China. Parts from Israel, Mexico, Canada, Japan, England, Germany and the USA have been fine for the most part. Parts from the Korea, India, Ukraine, Philippines have been pretty bad too. Almost all parts boxes have the country of origin on them. If I don't like where they are made or have had bad luck, I reject them. The brand itself does make somewhat of a difference along with country of origin. Name brand parts, from professional parts stores like NAPA often have oversight in the foreign manufacturing facilities. No name Chinese parts, sold by E-Bay vendors you are on your own.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think AC Delco is still make here in the USA. I can check tomorrow at the parts store I hang out at. Stay tuned... unless someone else can confirm yes or no.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, AC Delco is a GM brand name. ACD parts can be made anyplace in the world.

Sorry. I couldn't edit my previous post.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kinda sad, because I am one of those people that have a hard time letting go of the Delco brand. Its just for nostalgic reasons now. Recently ordered delco brake lines & they are super cheaply made with China stickers on them. In disappointment I never used them. No better than hoses half the price. I guess I just paid more for the name again. Delco is more like a distributer inside a distributor. sourcing out the parts that go in the legendary branded boxes

In fairness, they might still have some quality parts out there, but you have to do your homework, because you just might be buying a delco box.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA