Old 02-05-2019, 04:11 PM
Senior Chief

Default Automatic to Manual

Planning to convert my 74 from column shift auto to floor shift manual.

Got a line on a pre-71 Muncie and shifter from a 70 GTO. Also located a factory bellhousing & flywheel.

Pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing and pilot bearing would be new.

1) Any idea what shift handle (factory) will work best with this shifter?

2) Will the Turbo 350 driveshaft length be correct?

3) Will the Turbo 350 crossmember work?

4) Everything else is needed. Anyone have lines on the other needed parts?

This is with the 350 right now. when the bigger engine goes in, so will a stronger transmission, driveshaft, etc.

This is what comes to mind:
  • Steering column
  • console
  • shift boot
  • pedals
  • pedal linkage
  • cross shaft
  • pedal trim
  • console gauges
  • clutch fork
  • crossmember (?)
  • backup light switch
  • clutch fork boot

Thanks,

Stuart

Old 02-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did the same conversion years ago. Used a fine spline muncie out of a 71-72 Chevelle. TH350 crossmember worked on mine, used TH350 yoke, but don't remember if I had to modify driveshaft. Just pulled the pin out of my column shifter and removed handle. Took a whole assembly out of a Nova for brake/clutch pedal and bolted it in above the steering column and through firewall to mount master cylinder on (manual brakes) Modified neutral safety switch to go through clutch pedal switch. I used a Hurst Indy shifter, cut hole in floor, and it was in the same area as my factory console with guages. Also secured column from turning with wire in engine compartment going through old hole that went down to automatic shifter, so neutral safety switch would work.

76 GP LJ 400 4BBL T400
78 Chevy 1/2 Ton Truck
Oh yea I love my wife very much
For some reason it got erased when I put it here last time!!!!!! hmmmmmmmm
Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks 74GTO

Do you know of any avenues for finding those parts, other than new? Someone has got to be parting out a car, turning a stick into an automatic car to race, etc.

Are the 73-74 pedals/brackets different? I'm not concerned about "correct" as much as simply fitting the car without hacking the dash brackets and being in the correct location. I would have thought that all 68-74 X body and 76-69 F body parts would be the same. But the various restoration vendors are listing different parts......

What was the original application for the shifter? Again, the vendors list nothing for a 74, but do for 73 and earlier.

As to the clutch linkage, the vendors sell different setups for small and big blocks, for Pontiacs, nothing. Is it all the same except the "Z" bar attachment ball to the block?

Stuart

Old 02-14-2019, 11:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got lucky a pirated the pedal assembly out of a wrecked 73 Nova SS years ago (Many LOL) so it bolted right in. I remember having to modify something on the Z-bar assembly, but honestly I cannot remember what.

The shifter was an aftermarket Hurst Indy shifter. It did have a bolt in handle, I had the short throw handle on it.

76 GP LJ 400 4BBL T400
78 Chevy 1/2 Ton Truck
Oh yea I love my wife very much
For some reason it got erased when I put it here last time!!!!!! hmmmmmmmm
Old 02-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have a set of Nova pedals out of a '70. Can get in master parts book & see if the same. also have a black console out of a manual trans '73 Ventura Sprint. Several tubs of numerous factory & aftermarket Hurst shifters. A factory '69 Camaro Hurst shifter or aftermarket Hurst Nova shifter, where the handle slides (or bolts in) has a jog to it to the passenger side, where as a factory "70" gto shifter, the top of shifter & handle are near straight up. May have the correct z-bar, have a large fliptop tub of Z-bar. Feel free & drop me a PM.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Senior Chief

Ol' pinion head, you have a pm!