Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 3.5 amp draw

The battery in my recently finished (almost) 67 gto will drain over a couple of days. i thought it was my positive battery cable so i installed a new 4 gauge cable. the battery was was discharged enough to not crank after about 24-36 hours. it would only charge at about 12.6 volts at any rpm. i changed the voltage regulator and that changed to 14.2. if i disconnect the negative cable and put a digital amp meter between the post and the cable it reads about 3.5-3.6 amps. i disconnected the alt, voltage regulator, the a/c compressor and nothing changed. i started pulling fuses to see what circuit it was on. if i remove both lower fuses it slowly goes from 3.5 to .1 in a few seconds. with either fuse in it jumps back up. also as i was pulling /replacing fuses i noticed something strange. on the dome light circuit there is the dome light, rear console light and a under dash light. when both lower fuses are in it all works as it should. when the lower fuse is out they all go out with the door open but when i push the door switch in the under dash light comes on. i tried pulling that bulb but the draw stays the same. any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unplug the headlight switch,put in all the fuses . see if it goes away.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default amp draw

thanks for the response i will try that today .
thanks Bryan