Old 10-03-2019, 03:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Stock Torque Converter

I've asked this question before on other areas of forum but it's harder to get a straight answer there .

I'm still undecided about using my stock converter ... I want to use a stock OEM type but just not sure about the one I have. Looks pretty good inside but it sat around 30 years, opening up, with no plug ... there was some organic material in it .... think small rodent attempting to store nuts there. Cleaned out what I could see, don't see any rust or water inside, it was stored indoors. Has one mounting hole missing just a couple of threads, doesn't look worrisome.

I'd be a lot more comfortable if I could drain it, and would be willing to drill a drain hole ... as other members have said it can be done, but exact positioning they have never posted.

This original to the car unit has about 100,000 miles on it, never seemed to have any problems while I was driving it.

First ... what do you think about reusing it .... Second ... is there a source for bone stock replacement TCs of decent quality? I'm going to ask about a source on the street section too.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:29 AM
Senior Chief

I'm running a stock 13" converter from this place.

http://www.champconverters.com/

Old 10-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would call around to some local transmission shops and see who can flush it out at the very least.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My large local tranny shop doesn't have a flush cabinet. Evidently they are getting hard to find.

Champ looks like a good outfit ... don't see stock converters listed ... what is the price range for their stock type?

Old 10-03-2019, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did some further draining of the old TC ... definite needs replacing or thorough flushing, I can see grit and debri in the bottom of the hole.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
My large local tranny shop doesn't have a flush cabinet. Evidently they are getting hard to find.

Champ looks like a good outfit ... don't see stock converters listed ... what is the price range for their stock type?
I traded in a core when I bought mine, If I remember right I paid around two hundred. its been a few years ago.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GM9HD is the part number for a Torco 13" TH400 converter.

https://www.amazon.com/TORCO-TH400-C.../dp/B07L2KR5XB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TH400-Chevy...U2CDe&LH_BIN=1

Don't have a clue of the quality. They claim 1900-2200 stall on this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TH400-1900-...MAAOSwZjJU2CDe

There are obviously cheaper stock type converters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM6-400-TH4....c100005.m1851

You can get a 25% online discount, from Advance, on this Pro-King brand. Part # is GM3. Advance also gives a $40 core refund. That would make this one pretty cheap.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...-gm3/5990130-P

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PMTGM3

Last edited by ponyakr; 10-03-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the Chevy and Pontiac bolt circles the same?

I looked at the Pro-King brand and it's hard to believe they are total crap ... big outfit, supplying many retail outlets, and part of the whole Transtar group which is known for decent quality.

TC's seem to be a weird subject, everyone swears by what they have and everything else is crap. Search online and you will find plenty of people that say TCI is crap, BM is crap, anything short of a custom built 3000 rpm TC is crap.

Pretty sure my original is now crap ... so I just want something that works. I have a very good friend at the local NAPA that would certainly tell me if the Pro-King stuff they sell is crap. Hughes seems like they would be much better ... will probably have to call them as none of the people that carry their stuff seems to stock Pontiac.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IS it worth talking to an old school transmission rebuilding service if you have one in your area? Some of those guys really know there stuff. I am still looking for a correct 10" converter for one of my 1978 W72 auto Trans Am. They supposedly had a higher stall than the stock unit, but nobody seems to know anything about them other than they are physically smaller. While I understand how TC's work, the specifics still seem like magic to me

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I'm at a loss when it comes to the finer details of TCs. Only time you seem to see them mentioned is when they DON'T work ... so it's hard to get a feel for the quality. When it comes to the rebuilt units ... pretty sure there are many thousands of people using them without problems, only hear about them when there is a problem.

Somewhere I saved a link to a shop about 30 mins away that says they cut open and rebuild OEM converters. Might look into that. I checked the shop that did work on my transmission back in the early 80's ... still in business .. but basically had no way to flush a converter.

A TC thread in the street section goes off the rails so fast every time that it's hard to get a straight answer.

Why do many of the ads specify Chevy? Are they different than B/O/P converters? I'll measure my bolt circle today and see if I can count the splines.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I know, all GM TH400 & TH350 non-lock-up converters will work in all GM TH400 & TH350 non-lock-up trans. There were 2 bolt circle patterns - a small & a large. Most TH400's came with the large pattern.

Some flexplates came with a dual bolt pattern, so they could be used with a converter which had either bolt pattern.

Some aftermarket converters have a dual pattern, so that they'll work with a flexplate that has either the large or small pattern.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ended up getting the Hughes GM4TOW "Tow Master" after talking with their support people. Nice folks, got right back to me with the info I wanted.

It's a 13", three pad .... so probably uses an OEM core. When ordering you have to specify Pontiac ... not sure why.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What color is the TC/trans cover supposed to be? Seems like I remember they were just bare metal.