Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.lwm-info.org/DocumentCen...l-Tower-Permit

This suggests you might have a better case than some of the posts in this thread are suggesting.

If I backed up to that old farm house, I'm guessing I would want a lot of trees in my own backyard to screen it from view even before the cell tower was proposed. Without seeing the set-up in person, I'm not sure what would have a more negative impact on the aesthetics of the area, the new subdivision or the old farmstead.

I'd favor a monopole cell tower over having old school above-ground poles and phone lines strung thru the neighborhood. Cell towers are a fact of modern life. No cell service would have a bigger negative impact on property values than a monopole cell tower IMO. We had one not far from where I used to live. Couldn't see it from my house, only from the nearby main road. Even then, it was there quite awhile before I even noticed it among the tall loblolly pines that surrounded it. Never thought of it as an eyesore. I never thought the pines were all that attractive though, not a very pretty tree. But made for pretty effective camouflage of the tower.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't think of the negative aspect of bad cell service on a property these days, but yeah, in today's world you couldn't sell a property to most people if it had no decent cell service.

I waited ten years for decent internet and cell on the mountain top where I live.

I always kind of wanted a tower on my property too, I'm on one of the highest spots in the area with a commanding line of sight to urban areas to the south. It could be put far enough back on the property that I'd never see it. Besides the income, they would have to put in a good access road to the back of the property, something I don't have now. And talk about resale value ... it would probably add a couple hundred thousand to the value.

And I wouldn't be able to see it from my retirement home in Italy

Old 08-21-2020, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I worked for a cell phone equipment provider about twenty years ago. Back then, when setting up phone service, the grid is laid out like a pattern of hexagonals with a tower positioned at the vertex of hexagon. The antennas cover a 120 degree arc to provide service to three hexagons. Once the grid is established, the tower companies try to acquire rights to put up an tower as close to the vertex as possible. In many cases, moving the antenna a mile or so away will result in poor service for somebody.

I always wondered what happens to the landowner if the tower is no longer needed. Technology changes all the time, so what if a new technology came around where a large tower was no longer needed. The towers are owned by a different company, and they lease space to the major providers. If technology changes and towers are no longer needed, the tower company could go bankrupt. What would happen to the tower? Would it be the home owner's responsibility to have it taken down?

Old 08-21-2020, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It’s not just a tower there is also a 50x50 fenced “compound” that will have sheds and generators

Old 08-21-2020, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My guess is they would have to take the tower down, but probably negotiate with the land owner as far as the rest goes. I'd be fine with them leaving the compound and generator . Of course if the company goes broke all bets would be off.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by max 93 View Post
It’s not just a tower there is also a 50x50 fenced “compound” that will have sheds and generators
You'll be glad the generator is in a shed, can you imagine how noisy it'd
be sitting out in the open? It's a backup generator, for power outages.
Wouldn't need fences if those who object weren't so keen on visitation.
Hell, they're actually exercising due diligence, dumb kids take selfies on
construction cranes all the time.

You're starting to paint quite the picture. A shed on a farm is bad. If that
farm was a residential neighborhood, you'd have a lovely view... of your
neighbor's garage.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The concrete 50x 50 fenced area will be topped with barbed wire and could have as many as 5 small buildings and 5 generators. The tower could have 5 antennas arrays on it. Our point is that there are better sites for the tower in the area that are still in the search ring that they used.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by max 93 View Post
Our point is that there are better sites for the tower in the area that are still in the search ring that they used.
I don't think you'll find this to be true though. The company installing the tower isn't going to go to the expense of meeting all the requirements, construction, maintenance, and paying the guy almost $40k/year if it wasn't the best technical, logistical, and financial answer out there.

It also may be a case of they wanted anyone in that area, they approached him and he was the only\first one who agreed.

I'm not saying this to say you shouldn't try and fight it or be upset about it, but to point out how difficult it is going to be to try and prove to a judge legally that this isn't the place that they should do the installation and why.