THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:04 PM
PY VIP

I would give it a qualified yes. I was reasonably good at wrenching and then as now, I know when I am in over my head and I am not afraid of asking for help. Twenty year old me had a much healthier spine and I could lift cast-iron cylinder heads off of a engine in the car with nothing more than someone standing back to back to anchor my feet lifting it out. I wouldn't try that today for $10,000 because I would be in an ambulance taking me to the hospital if I tried that now!

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 08-15-2020, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
I would give it a qualified yes. I was reasonably good at wrenching and then as now, I know when I am in over my head and I am not afraid of asking for help. Twenty year old me had a much healthier spine and I could lift cast-iron cylinder heads off of a engine in the car with nothing more than someone standing back to back to anchor my feet lifting it out. I wouldn't try that today for $10,000 because I would be in an ambulance taking me to the hospital if I tried that now!
As the brawn grows weaker, hopefully the brain grows stronger

The older I get, the smarter I work.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
If I rode with 20 YO me I would probably have a heart attack!
Nope, still drive mine the same way, but not stupidly in traffic. However, driving my DD's calmly.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 08-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post

Jon
My father turned wrenches most of his adult life, at around 80 he deemed that his 1975 Catalina needed a valve job. You have to understand that my father would never pay someone to do any work for him that he was sure he could do himself. Most of us know lifting the cast iron heads off of a 400 in a 75 Catalina is difficult for a younger person, let alone an 80 YO man working by himself.

After he had completed the work and was visiting me back in PA I asked him, how he got the cylinder heads off, and on by himself. He told me he laid a 2X8 supported by a step ladder on one end, across the fender lifted the head onto the 2X8, the and slid it out from under the hood. He then put the heads into his CJ5 Jeep, and transported them to the machine shop, reversed procedure to install. I assume he did the same with the intake manifold as it's not light, and it's awkward.

Where there is a will there is a way.............

At 67, I find myself usually studying how I might do a job more easily, rather than just bulling my way through things I just took for granted that I could lift, and jerk when I was younger..........LOL

I practice the work smarter, not harder, a great deal as I age.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-16-2020, 09:08 AM

I just turned 50 and try and do the job correctly once now. I try and think about all the other parts or equipment I might need to replace. I recently changed intake on 79 C10 and so while there I changed to electric choke, changed radiator hoses and replaced vacuum hoses. I forgot how heavy stock intake manifolds weighed or I am just getting weaker. I will say working with my dad on cars profanity laced rants went hand and hand In turning wrenches. 20 year old me would misplace tools all the time and so does 50 year old me. 50 year old me just has more wrenches now and look for misplaced tools when job is done. The part about 20 year old you being scary to dive with I totally agree.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:47 PM
Senior Chief

Funny I was just having this conversation with a 50 yr old friend of mine last night. We were wondering why everything we touch seems to take 3 or 4 tries before we’re happy with it. I’ve wondered if I was better younger and maybe slipping some now. He said to look at the car I’m building now versus one I built then.
The ‘68 Firebird I built in the early 90s is still here and the ‘68 I’m building now is here too. Night and day difference, the older one is still cool but reflects the need to get it done and go racing. Also shows the lack of some equipment I now have. The new one shows the time and attention to detail. Also shows that I don’t have to rush to make an event, it’ll be ready when it’s ready.
SD

Old 08-17-2020, 12:51 PM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post

Jon
Amen to that!

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 08-19-2020, 07:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ponchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
I just recently changed rear discs on the Trans Am, I orginally changed rear pads on car in my later 20's. Well needless to say 20 year old me was not much into detail or actually looking up how to do this properly. 20 year old me asked a buddy of mine who worked at a brake shop how hard it would be. He said it was easy just take out old pads pop in new ones and cycle the emerergency brake to adjust. Well taking rear brakes apart I noticed 20 year old me did not index rear piston correctly, rear discs were heat checked and for some reason one of the emergency cable springs on caliper had some electrical tape wrapped through it. In my 20's I lived pretty much paycheck to paycheck so I am thinking that is why I took some short cuts when doing rear brake pads. I dont think I would let 20 year old me work on car now though without direct supervision
How about you guys would you let 20 year old you work on your car now?
Sounds like 20 year-old you was fixing your car "by feel" ("yeah, that looks about right." ).
20 year old ME, had my 56 year-old father, who'd been a mechanic since about age 12, to help me, so I had LOTS of experienced supervision.
I still don't think I would have myself do it, though, without his supevision.
By that time, it was something I hadn't done very much, so I'd have a lot of questions anyway.
Good question, though!

Old 08-19-2020, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was a ASE GM Tech ( in some systems on cars and trucks) at age 20.
I really disliked rear disc brakes on the Firebirds due to the fact that the rear calipers had NO HOSE to them.
I did stupid repairs that were legal, but today I would make a bracket and install a flex line to the caliper.
The E brake function was always a problem for Birds or Caddys we sold, in the winter.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
I was a ASE GM Tech ( in some systems on cars and trucks) at age 20.
I really disliked rear disc brakes on the Firebirds due to the fact that the rear calipers had NO HOSE to them.
I did stupid repairs that were legal, but today I would make a bracket and install a flex line to the caliper.
The E brake function was always a problem for Birds or Caddys we sold, in the winter.
No hose in the rear was because the line didn't need to flex at the wheel (no rear wheel steering).
The hose was at the connection where the brake line transfers from the body to the axle.
All the rear wheel drive cars I've ever worked on were setup this way....not 100 % sure why you'd add a flex line at the wheel, but I'm sure you had a good reason.

I never got the GM rear disc e-brake design either.
Goofy as all get out.
I think it was Ford/Lincoln that used a separate small caliper/pad for the e-brakes on those cars.
That one worked very well!
I wish all the makers would've copped that one onto their own cars.

Ponchy

Old 08-20-2020, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rear hose being a flex hose would allow to change the pads without disconnecting the line.
The caliper doesnt move much, that is true, but being able to service like a front caliper would make things easy.
My first experience with a "Real" rear E brake ( on a disc car) was a 70's Volvo with what my Grandfather called a "Tophat" rotor . This had a drum inside it for the e brake shoes.
This system lives in my 2500 HD . Its not the best for winter roads, but does work.
Oddly enough I installed a 1980 3.42:1 Disc rear in a '72 many years ago and found that 15 inch honeys do NOT work in the back...
Live and learn, and more learning....

Old 08-20-2020, 12:36 AM

Yeah, the Volvo brakes with the extra little drum inside!
I haven't thought about those in years!

Re: GM rear disc - Ah yes, that is a very good reason. I don't recall having too many issues changing the rear pads, but I think what I did was line lock the hose I mentioned earlier and removed the line. It wasn't too much to bleed just the rears, but your right, having a flex hose on there would eliminate that entire step.
Sorry, its been about 25 years since I've worked professionally. Haven't thought about this in a while.

Ponchy