Old 08-13-2020, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

Default Gloss % for under hood/frame parts (‘68)

Sorry if I’m repeating a post because I swear I had one on this a few months ago and can’t find it.

I’m looking for any known “% Gloss Black” numbers for under hood and frame parts for a ‘68 GTO. I’m basically using this to keep track of what I do happen to find. I believe % and °’s are interchangeable sizes please correct me if I’m wrong. Here’s some from my manuals so far...

Underside of Hood: 30% (listed specifically ‘68)

Core support: 60%. (Found listed under ‘70, maybe the same?)

Firewall: thought it was 60%?

Frame: again, 60% possibly?

Hood Hinges: Bare metal

Anyways, just thought I’d keep track of my findings here in case it’s of interest to anybody down the road. It’s definitely not critical for my car as it’ll never be a concourse restoration or even close, but I’d just like to paint everything somewhat close as I’m mixing my own gloss levels and don’t want it to all be the same. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with most of your list, though I'd say the firewall is semi-flat (30% ish). The heater core cover should be the 60% as well as the inner fenders and air cleaner. Hood hinges were phosphate plated, not painted

Old 08-15-2020, 02:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gtocv View Post
I agree with most of your list, though I'd say the firewall is semi-flat (30% ish). The heater core cover should be the 60% as well as the inner fenders and air cleaner. Hood hinges were phosphate plated, not painted
Great, that’s just the type of info I’m looking for. I’ll update my list above and keep updating it as I get more.

Thank you

Old 08-15-2020, 02:53 PM
Senior Chief

Ok- guess I can’t edit my original post so I’ll keep an update going.

Underside of Hood: 30%

Core support: 60%

Heater Core Cover: 60%

Air Cleaner: 60%

Firewall: 30%

Inner Fenders: 60%

Frame: 60% possibly?

Hood Hinges: Phosphate Plated