Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-21-2024, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Needed Updates for Electrical for Towing a '28 enclosed Trailer with 1994 C2500?

Hey Everybody,

I have new battery, bench and computer checked alternator at 105 Amps.

What do I need to upgrade? - no generator - no extra power usage - winch has own AGM.

Thanks, Craig

Old 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should be fine with what you have. Do you have a charge wire for the trailer winch battery?

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 04-21-2024, 04:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No charge wire

Old 04-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not necessary but nice to have to keep the battery charged.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 04-21-2024, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
Not necessary but nice to have to keep the battery charged.
Agreed - get a charge wire to ensure you are charging your trailer battery while driving.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks - what is an easy way to do that?

Old 04-21-2024, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We found a few issues towing with a 2000 model 1 ton GM truck. Not sure if the same as 1994, but the headlight switch was crap and not up to the task of the clearance lights, running lights, brake lights, turn signals all running through the cheap headlight switch and the tiny gage wires. I would recommend changing all the trailer lights to LED's if not already. That will take allot of load off. If you don't want to do that, then use a relay, (s) to limit the current going through the headlight switch. This issue left us without any exterior lights in the middle of the night in Washington, DC on the way to a race. Automatic gunfire in the distance, middle of the DC, Ghetto, high rolling enclosed race trailer full of tools and a race car. Not a great situation. Headlight switch was a glob of stinky melted plastic.

Old 04-21-2024, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
We found a few issues towing with a 2000 model 1 ton GM truck. Not sure if the same as 1994, but the headlight switch was crap and not up to the task of the clearance lights, running lights, brake lights, turn signals all running through the cheap headlight switch and the tiny gage wires. I would recommend changing all the trailer lights to LED's if not already. That will take allot of load off. If you don't want to do that, then use a relay, (s) to limit the current going through the headlight switch. This issue left us without any exterior lights in the middle of the night in Washington, DC on the way to a race. Automatic gunfire in the distance, middle of the DC, Ghetto, high rolling enclosed race trailer full of tools and a race car. Not a great situation. Headlight switch was a glob of stinky melted plastic.
Had a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. You couldn't just tie into the lights. Thinking had to buy a box that connected to a good power source. On my factory older Chevy 12 v power source was always on so you could run your truck battery down. My now ford is off when key off.