THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 10:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Suggestions to the board ownership

This pertains to the use of sub-forums devoted to the late GTO/G8. Those forums don't get very much attention because of the rarity of these cars and most classic Pontiac owners know nothing about them.

My suggestion is to eliminate those forums and incorporate them into normal Pontiac forums. After all, they are all now classic Pontiacs. The benefit is that those in the classic forums also have knowledge of the more modern Pontiacs and would be happy to share that knowledge. But being buried in forums that nobody frequents renders that forum useless because nobody goes there.

So my suggestion is that if it relates to Pontiac, regardless of genre, put everything under one banner,

There are many of us who own both old and newer GTOs who would like to be able to hear responses from knowledgeable members that we trust. They may not be fans of the newer GTOs but they know about them and have some sort of experience with them.

I think this would be a natural evolution of this site. Thank you.

Old 02-25-2023, 05:56 PM
Administrator

We originally separated them because the classic owners felt a little threatened that they were going to get pushed out. However, it's been quite a few years. I don't see much harm in merging everything back together but I also don't see it helping much. Most LM GTO and G8 owners have a number of active communities that they spend most of their time with.

Old 02-25-2023, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

JMO,if im on the traditional GTO site I dont think I would be interestd in reading about the new stuff.Tom

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2023, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
JMO,if im on the traditional GTO site I dont think I would be interestd in reading about the new stuff.Tom
I tend to agree. I have nothing against LS engines or the last generation of GTOs but would prefer to have them in a separate forum...just like I don't want to look through GTO posts if I am in the F body forum.

The flip side being that if I ever bought a G8 or Solstice I would prefer to narrow down discussions to those models.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2023, 10:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don’t see any difference between a sub forum for full size Pontiacs from the 60’s, a sub forum for Fiero’s or a sub forum G8’s. Our portion of the hobby is dwindling, we need to support as many people as possible.

I would say that a significant portion of the members here also have 3rd gens, 4th gens, G8’s, GTO’s, etc.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I agree with this,

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 02-26-2023, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

But yet we get threads that go on for weeks about the virtues of the dodge late model crap, EV trucks, and cars. Late model chysler/fiat stuff is relevant, but the last performance cars Pontiac made, are to be treated like red headed step children, kept segregated to the basement/attic at PY. Out of sight, out of mind.

Late models were relegated to their own sections when everyone hated them that owned a classic Pontiac. The tide has somewhat reversed since 2004-2006 for the GTOs, and G8s. Some people actually drove one, then decided they weren't such a bad car after all, some people even bought used examples after all the hate died down.

The little bit of bandwidth that currently goes to the small percentage of late model Pontiac owners, isn't going to dilute anything, IMO.

The way no one visits the late model sections is a waste of money, and time, to keep them on the site. There is virtually no exposure for the owners to make any money from selling late model restoration parts generated from the forum the way it is now, because there is virtually no traffic in any of the forums devoted to the late models.

Everyone was wanting to keep the forums alive by donating money, but C Cass would also probably like to move some of his late model inventory by better exposure to more traffic on this site. Anyone that has owned their own business should know that this is a poor business model as it is, for the guys making/selling the late model resto parts. I bet there are people that are members here that don't even know that there are aftermarket resto parts available for the late model Pontiac performance cars. If no one buys parts for the late model stuff, it will cease to exist completely.

It's already hard to find used parts for GTOs, because the used supplies are drying up quickly. 10 years ago you could find most any late model GTO part used, but that isn't the case at this time, a lot of cars have been parted out already, and GM/Holden is pretty much depleted for NOS parts. The inventory that is left is so high priced, no one will pay what dealers want for it at retail. I.E. GM wants $2000 last I heard for one front seat cover, it's probably closer to $3000 now.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-26-2023, 12:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Okay, then eliminate the late GTO/G8 sections altogether as they get no viewership, Ask a question in any of those forums and you get NO response, so what's the point? Some knowledgeable people will happily answer post in the street forum but never impart their knowledge in the Late forums simply because they don't favor the newer stuff.

I own BOTH and AM interested in BOTH! Hell, after almost fifty years of owning and reading about the older stuff, I think it's time that we progress to the later iterations. I've been on this site for nearly twenty years and for the last fifteen, I've seen nothing new to discuss about the old stuff, just the same repetitive posts that bring nothing new to the table.

I'm not asking anyone to feel the same as I do about the newer cars. I know that many of you here don't like them, but you have knowledge about them that you could share, and isn't that what this site is about?

Just a reminder, that this site is not labelled "Traditional GTO", and it's not only about GTOs'

Look at many of the "sub" forums and notice the lack of activity on those forums. Most questions are answered in the lobby or street sections. I'm not a fan of a '67 Bonneville, so I'm NEVER going to visit that forum, but you know what? Many questions about the '67 Bonneville could be answered in the street section.

I own more Pontiacs than most of you here and have owned Pontiacs longer than most of you. I bought my first in 1976 and haven't been without at least one since. I have evolved with the industry and embraced whatever the subsequent years provided. What I have found in nearly twenty years of 2004 GTO ownership is that this car is more impressive in every way, than any other GTO before it. That is MY opinion.

So, pardon me if the "street" forum or lobby is restricted to "traditional" GTOs. GM's Pontiac division determined what a Pontiac was, not any of us. I simply find it mindboggling that performance-oriented people would ignore the later cars simply because they don't like the styling, or that it has a corporate engine. Then come here complaining about the constant issues with their traditional Pontiac engines despite the dollars they sink into them.

Old 02-26-2023, 02:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't see this thread going south.

No sir.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems to me, to keep this as-is. However,............

Seem a 79 T/A with an LS engine.
Fella interested in me GTO as a roller wants to "drop-in" an LS/manual Trans ( he owns a ZR1 crewcab truck).
Neighbor collects junk BBC, LS, and modern mopar, to put in ratrod projects to sell.
As for me, the next projext is to Put the GTO engine in the 95 Towncar, for improved towing .

Sooooo, perhaps there ought to be a transplant thread??

Old 02-26-2023, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sooooo, perhaps there ought to be a transplant thread??
You could have a transplant thread but put it in the appropriate section, like probably the Street section?

pont3, I would think the way the sections are laid out now are probably the best?

If your thread on the 2004 GTO was put here in the Lobby it would be lost in about 2 hours. It would be about 5 pages back and no one would see it again.
At least in the 2004 GTO section it would still be visible so anyone that may know the answer to your question would answer?

In the 68-69 GTO section no one would probably answer and it would also end up a couple pages down. (same for 64-65 or 66-67 etc)

I usually don't read any posts that I don't have knowledge of, as I wouldn't have any input for the question.
I don't know hardly anything about 2004 GTO at least to not answer a question on them.
I'm sure that is the same with most people here.

The one thing that makes it hard to search here on PY is the many out of place questions in wrong sections or buried in some thread with no connection to the original thread post.

The Lobby here is for general chit-chat type of stuff. So if there is any pertinent info here it is probably not going to be found later?

There is already a section on non-Pontiac into Pontiacs and also a recent addition of a LS1 section. If your question was on the engine possibly could have been put there?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We should keep them but compact them, ie. for 1982-2002 have one tech thread, one for parts and one for whole cars for sale/wanted.

And a 1973-74 Super Duty category - these cars were the true essence of Pontiac distilled and nothing?

We have a Judge category and they were nothing really but a decal package.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 11:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just to be clear- Pont3 are you suggesting that the format be the same as another sub forum like the OHC6 sub forum or something different?

I fully support expanding the GTO/G8 sections. To not embrace this is sticking your head in the sand just like GTOAA did in 2004. Very similar to POCI and GTOAA not working together.

Why is Norwalk so successful and the best event? They invite the Firehawk group (which includes G8’s btw), the Fiero group, the ohc group and the early group. And there are a hell of a lot of modern GTO’s and G8’s there.

I have a 2004 GTO and had no idea there were restoration parts for them. This week my friends son asked about parts availability on a 2006 GTO and I told him I didn’t know and maybe he should reconsider and look at something else.

Think about that- I just talked a 20 year old that loves my ‘60 wagon more than anything out of buying his first Pontiac. I probably have one of the largest collections on this site! And I just gave a kid bad information about joining our group.

The LS sites are all focused on 4th gens, 5th gens, corvettes and trucks. There is really not much online support for these cars that I am aware of.

The ‘24’s are going to be out in 6 months if not sooner. The cars will be 20 years old. I think it’s okay to include them in our group at this point.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looking at how it is set up now- is there a reason we can’t have :

93-02 Firebird TA Tech
04-06 GTO Tech
08-09 G8 Tech
Solstice Tech

Have each sub forum include interior, electrical, exhaust,wheels, etc.. Consolidate the 20 sub forums into one and put them with the other cars. There is such little activity that I would think a reader would be interested in all topics and wound be easier to manage.

I guess my two questions would be:

Is it being kept separate just because or is there a good reason today to keep it broken out?

Will it cost more or be more difficult to consolidate it and put it with the other models?

Old 02-26-2023, 06:34 PM

Or you could just click the "quick links" drop down, click on "todays posts" , and read what you have an interest in!

That's what I do,

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesq For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The late model forums are still hosted by PY, and not Ames, is my understanding of why they are separated. PY makes, and sells the late model restoration pieces, Ames doesn't have anything to do with the late model parts.

I could be wrong about this, but someone from C Cass company can correct me if I have the wrong information.

I own late model performance Pontiacs, and have since 1981, I also own Stratostreak powered cars. I enjoy both types of these Pontiacs. I'm not one of the naysayers that believes that Pontiac ceased to exist in 1982 when, they brought the first performance Pontiac to market with a corporate V8 in it.

I owned a 81 Bonneville with a 5.7 diesel in it, and a ton of newer Pontiacs with all different engines in them. Fieros, Grand Prixs, Vibe, SSE Bonnevilles, 4th gen Trans Ams, late model GTO. I still only drive Pontiacs, because I like the way they feel. The engine is secondary for a transportation car, but the feel that Pontiacs have, isn't the same as other GM cars, even with the same chassis. As my signature says, "100% Pontiacs in my driveway". My race cars have always had Stratostreak engines in them, that is steadfast rule, that anything race oriented, will have a Stratostreak engine in it. I'm not driving a ford, mopar. or anything from Japan, I'm still driving Pontiacs, some with Stratostreak engines, some with corporate engines. the registration, and the titles still say Pontiac on them.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Having things categorized is just organization. It helps people find what they're interested in quicker and easier. If there's no activity, it's a symptom of no interest. It's not caused by categories.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesq View Post
Or you could just click the "quick links" drop down, click on "todays posts" , and read what you have an interest in!

That's what I do,

James Q
This ^^^ is what I do also...

Old 02-27-2023, 02:26 PM
Senior Chief

I use” Today’s posts” as well,

It’s only when I have a question that I try and go to the appropriate location for an answer and/or do a search as well before starting a new thread.

If I see LS /G8 stuff in “today’s posts” I know I can’t help and I’m not inclined to look.

Old 03-05-2023, 03:39 AM
Suspended

Scroll down to any forums that still show the request for donations posts from 2 months ago as the most recent. Others are getting several replies a day and new topics.

Closed Thread