WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:45 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YoungOne79TA:
Yes the original GTO was a rebadge but this is not the same. GM is taking something from Holden and giving the credit to Pontiac while calling it a GTO. The GTO came from a rebadged Pontiac car. And as for the whole not liking the car thing. I do like the car. I think the Holden Monaro is a great car.
The truth is that GM just wants to make some quick $$$$. If they weren't targeting us Pontiac enthuisiasts then why use the GTO name at all? It's because the name brings something else with it, it brings back a legend. Which in turn brings in the money.
[This message was edited by YoungOne79TA on October 23, 2003 at 03:37 AM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I call B.S. that the G.T.O name alone will bring in the Money...

If the car is good it will sell regardless of the name , and if the car is sh*t it will fail just as easily!!!.

so why would GM then name it GTO ? , because its the best car pontiac have in their line-up and that includes the T/A.

Australian RWD + American V8 - Now THAT'S what I call a "coalition".
Old 10-23-2003, 12:48 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YoungOne79TA:
Yes the original GTO was a rebadge but this is not the same. GM is taking something from Holden and giving the credit to Pontiac while calling it a GTO. The GTO came from a rebadged Pontiac car. And as for the whole not liking the car thing. I do like the car. I think the Holden Monaro is a great car.
The truth is that GM just wants to make some quick $$$$. If they weren't targeting us Pontiac enthuisiasts then why use the GTO name at all? It's because the name brings something else with it, it brings back a legend. Which in turn brings in the money.
[This message was edited by YoungOne79TA on October 23, 2003 at 03:37 AM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I call B.S. that the G.T.O name alone will bring in the Money...

If the car is good it will sell regardless of the name , and if the car is sh*t it will fail just as easily!!!.

so why would GM then name it GTO ? , because its the best car pontiac have in their line-up and that includes the T/A.

have a look at this video of a road race event they have here in aussie once a year, just some highlights, now you think about the cars this monaro beats, and is basically in street trim, what other Pontiac can do that other than the GTO.

[This message was edited by GTO_2004 on October 23, 2003 at 04:05 AM.]
Old 10-23-2003, 01:14 AM

Maybe you should keep reading I just said the exact same thing....in that same post.
My point was that the GTO name brings in a lot more money than any other car...an example is those "right to buy" auctions on Ebay. Gm knows the GTO name can bring in more money and are using it to rake in some more $$$$.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by YoungOne79TA:
The car is a great performance car and I'm sure it would sell in the U.S. even without the GTO name. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message was edited by YoungOne79TA on October 23, 2003 at 04:33 AM.]
Old 10-23-2003, 01:36 AM

Maybe you should keep reading I just said the exact same thing....in that same post.
My point was that the GTO name brings in a lot more money than any other car...an example is those "right to buy" auctions on Ebay. Gm knows the GTO name can bring in more money and are using it to rake in some more $$$$.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so what if they are ???? like i said, joe public is'nt stupid when it comes to cars, the car regardless of the name will have to earn it reputation .

did you all run out and buy that Lemans with the 4 banger FWD , just because it was called a LeMans ? didn't think so.....

Old 10-23-2003, 04:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With GM retuning this LS1 just for the GTO, doesn't it in a way make it a Pontiac only engine? Its a stretch but I'll go with it. You will not find this LS1 in any other car in GM's line up the way it sits in the car from what I understand. Maybe reaching too far?

In terms of rather having the Monaro the way it was, I prefer the faster GTO version with the Pontiac nose. Without that nose it wouldn't say Pontiac let alone GTO.

Also, I for one HATE this BS of Pro / Con GTO name calling / personal insults. Guilty myself at times refuse to do it in the future. Makes no sense to me attack the individual based on their opinion when that individual is a GM / Pontiac fan. Different story with Ford or any other mfg. vs GM, name calling is usually required!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Insert Dead Horse award here........

Old 10-23-2003, 04:32 AM

Doesn't Mitsubishi sell a SUV here in the states called the Monaro.
Everyone always feels warm and fuzzy when they can look at something new and say that in a way it reminds them of something they once knew. In my opinion I'm going to let the new car by Hoden/Pontiac GM remind me of the old rear wheel drive performance cars that I knew in the sixtys and seventities with just a lot less problems. I'm not currently looking for a new car so I can't say anything about the price. I do know my Wife is totally hooked on front wheel drive cars since we live in a snow belt. This car car will probably be a hard sell in the Northern states due to the horse power to rear wheel drive traction ratio.Just wait until some of the performance companies get thier hands on this vehicle and start tweaking it and perfecting performance packages for it, Hold on to your "dentures" boys, it won't be the "GTO" your father was driving.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTO_2004:
so what if they are ???? like i said, joe public is'nt stupid when it comes to cars, the car regardless of the name will have to earn it reputation .

did you all run out and buy that Lemans with the 4 banger FWD , just because it was called a LeMans ? didn't think so.....

Australian RWD + American V8 - Now THAT'S what I call a "coalition".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The car will not have to earn its reputation, it will just have to live up to its reputation. I know this isn't going to be hard with our current technology and the all mighty LS1 but the truth is the GTO already has a reputation.

No I didn't go buy the 4 banger Lemans because that POS didn't live up to the Lemans' reputation. Also not everyone would get excited about it anyways because like you said earlier, it is not "the best car pontiac have in their line-up and that includes the T/A."

Hmmm....Now that I think of it wouldn't it be cool if they made a new Chevelle? GM doesn't even have to make a new car either...they can just rename some other Monaros. Add a different nose and a differently tuned LS1 and BAM! instant kickass Chevelle! (The best to ever exist) All the cars in the 60's-70's looked the same anyways...so I doubt anyone will have a problem with this idea. They will still sell and GM makes more money. They can even make one with an LS6! Then we can read similar posts on the classical Chevy forums!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by Bonneville Joe:
Insert Dead Horse award here........
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry for bringing the Horse back to life just to shoot it in the head again...but I didn't get in any of the past posts. I will officially shoot it in the head and stop for good...
Old 10-23-2003, 06:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BALOOGABILL:
Doesn't Mitsubishi sell a SUV here in the states called the Monaro.
Everyone always feels warm and fuzzy when they can look at something new and say that in a way it reminds them of something they once knew. In my opinion I'm going to let the new car by Hoden/Pontiac GM remind me of the old rear wheel drive performance cars that I knew in the sixtys and seventities with just a lot less problems. I'm not currently looking for a new car so I can't say anything about the price. I do know my Wife is totally hooked on front wheel drive cars since we live in a snow belt. This car car will probably be a hard sell in the Northern states due to the horse power to rear wheel drive traction ratio.Just wait until some of the performance companies get thier hands on this vehicle and start tweaking it and perfecting performance packages for it, Hold on to your "dentures" boys, it won't be the "GTO" your father was driving.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about the Bonne GXP, V8, FWD. Looking forward to its debut...
Old 10-23-2003, 07:08 AM

face it dudes, GM dropped the Ball with performace in proper sized coupes, they all went FWD.

We Aussies happened to be far enough away that it didn't affect us, we kept developing RWD V8 platforms, and we are setting up a factory in the states for the next gen GTO using U.S workers.

don't blame us... we're the good guys.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:35 AM

Using the "all the cars looked the same back in the 60's" argument doesn't fly. How many imports did the GTO look like from 64-74? How many imports did the Chevelle, Cutless/4-4-2, GS, Skylark etc look like in the 60's & 70's? Ok, now how many imports does the "new GTO" look like? A little piece(or in some cases a big piece) of different ones?

GTO_2004, you guys are lucky about keeping the RWD platform all along. Wish we could say the same

Nothing is real if you don't believe in yourself-Rocky Balboa

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 10-23-2003, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pierced mikey:
Using the "all the cars looked the same back in the 60's" argument doesn't fly. How many imports did the GTO look like from 64-74? How many imports did the Chevelle, Cutless/4-4-2, GS, Skylark etc look like in the 60's & 70's? Ok, now how many imports does the "new GTO" look like? A little piece(or in some cases a big piece) of different ones?

GTO_2004, you guys are lucky about keeping the RWD platform all along. Wish we could say the same

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mikey, you are ignorant in the ways of the Automobile business of today. Today GM doesn't have 50% or whatever marketshare it had back in the 60's. Imports back then were almost non existant. You can't say that today. GM is barely at 29%.

Mike, you're living in fantasy land if you don't think the 64-65/66-67/68-69/70-72 cars from ALL gm divisions looked alike. Ask Goatman how many times my GTO was called a "Chevelle" in High School. I am sure there are LOTS of people here who have had similar experiences.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:10 AM

Chris, I do know a thing or 2 about carsand the automotive industry believe it or not. Maybe not as much as some people do, and yes I know there weren't many imports here back then. But you can still find pics of all the imports from the 60's online and in some car magazines. Look at all the Japanese cars. They were all pretty much small and most had 4 cylinders. Did I say that the A-body cars don't look alike? No. I said show me how many IMPORTS back then looked like_____(insert A-body there). I know all the A-bodies looked very similar, but being a car guy I know the difference between them. That doesn't change the fact that the "new GTO" looks very similar to a lot of other IMPORTS.

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 10-23-2003, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mikey, again, we are NOT living in the 1960's. Thinking like you are living in the 1960's hasn't worked for GM. Look at the F-body as an example.

Right now Japaneese and European sports coups DOMINATE the market. So you either play ball or stay on the porch. GM is finally getting off it's butt and is getting into the game.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:14 AM

Yeah, but back then G.M. dominated the 60's by setting the pace, not following the Honda leader

Old 10-23-2003, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How many v8 rwd cars does Honda have again?

Actually, I could care less about the v8, but how many 350hp rwd cars does Honda have? Or any other Japanese import?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:58 PM

Bob, I never questioned the performance of the car, we already know it's a great performing car since they have been making them in Australia for a while now. In case you didn't read the rest of the past few posts, we were talking about how the car looks like all the other imports and I was making the point that it didn't back in the day.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pierced mikey:
Bob, I never questioned the performance of the car, we already know it's a great performing car since they have been making them in Australia for a while now. In case you didn't read the rest of the past few posts, we were talking about how the car looks like all the other imports and I was making the point that it didn't back in the day.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dindn't know sleek aerodynamic design automatically defines rice, i don't see any "fart cans" , i don't see and 3 story wings or stickers on the side of it, i don't see any 22" bling bling chrome wheels ???

pierced mikey ??? whats up dude ? you can't accept a high 12s or low 13s car, that has the BEST damn GM interior ever, with a sleek musclar aerodynamic look ?

Old 10-23-2003, 11:00 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTO_2004:
i dindn't know sleek aerodynamic design automatically defines rice, i don't see any "fart cans" , i don't see and 3 story wings or stickers on the side of it, i don't see any 22" bling bling chrome wheels ???

pierced mikey ??? whats up dude ? you can't accept a high 12s or low 13s car, that has the BEST damn GM interior ever, with a sleek musclar aerodynamic look ?

Australian RWD + American V8 - Now THAT'S what I call a "coalition".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The car looks like a bunch of imports out there. If you can't see that you are obviously dented in the head. I didn't say it looked like a ricer, I said import. There is a difference. Same with the tuner cars. I didn't say it looks like a pink Civic with a body kit. You can see a lot of similar lines or different parts taken from other cars. I can't accept 12's or 13's? Read my post again, I said it was a great performing car. Which the Manaro is. Look in all the posts I have made about this thing. I've said time and time again that(from what I've read) the Monaro was a good car. The Monaro(GTO) IS an import for us. Not for Australians. You can't tell me looking at this thing and looking at imports you don't see a lot of similarities?

Old 10-24-2003, 12:16 AM

The car looks like a bunch of imports out there. If you can't see that you are obviously dented in the head. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

talk to me like that!!! you'll get smack in the mouth

seriously, insults aside, i know how you are thinking, and trust me dude you are WRONG on this !!

ok try to erase in your mind that the newer trans-am ever existed and suddlenly I present to you the 4th gen F-body, with its sharp nose and batman wing on the back, you wouldn't say that looks like an import, gimme a break.

its only because you are used to the T/A that you don't have the same attitude towards it.