Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New Clutch Disc, Used Pressure Plate - Marcel or Non-Marcel Type Disc?

I have a Ram HDX clutch setup and am going to replace the 10.5" disc with a fine spline 10.5" disc. My pressure plate has 3500 miles on it now and it is really good shape.

I see that RAM offers a marcel based disc and a non-marcel based disc. Is there any benefit of one over the other for a high performance street application? Will one be any more annoying to use than the other?

Since my pressure plate is basically new, I was going to re-use it. I am going to have the flywheel touched up and was wondering if I need to do the same to the pressure plate? Is this as simple as some 400 grit paper and a light touch to the plate?

Lastly, I have kicked around the idea of putting a 11" clutch in my car and may have stumbled across a factory flywheel. Is there any real beneift to upgrading from a 10.5" clutch to a 11" clutch for a street driven car?

Thanks...

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Suspended

the marcels keep the disc from chattering and make it smoother for feathering them when you release the clutch and I would recommend you keep them , non marcels are mostly used for racing and chatter which in racing is not a problem as most people dump the clutch . as for the flywheel have it machined as you can change the surface and make it wavy which will cause grabbing probems and just scuff the pressure plate with a scotchbright pad and then wipe it down with acetone or lauqer thinner to clean it . as for changing dics diameter it increases the area being clamped and allows the clutch plate to take more power without slipping but make sure you match the set .