Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-28-2021, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustysarge View Post
So I priced out Ross forged pistons and Eagle Forged I beams, bearings, rings and it came to $1,235 on Butler to have an idea. Using the stock crank that is turned and ready means balancing, so let's say $250 for balancing if all goes well (internal balance). $1,500, for $300 more get a Butler kit with Eagle cast crank and H beams ready to go no hassle.

Not gonna spend money on reconditioning stock rods and buying cast pistons at this point.

How many have recent cast crank experience, not from years back? Butler's goal is to sell them for sure but here is what they say: "Cast crankshafts are an excellent alternative to O.E. Cranks. These crankshafts are new cast pieces made with modern material and casting processes to be a great alternative to 30 year old factory cranks. Recommended for use in street engines without power adders. Many factory cranks we check have stress cracks, so even though your crank has not broken yet, you may have a problem developing that could destroy your engine."
You have a factory crank and you want to spend another 300 for an inferior Chinese cast crank?

Old 01-28-2021, 06:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Didn't say that. Just looking at numbers. I have never used the cast Chinese cranks but have run the piss out of Eagle and Scat forged cranks and they are just fine. I'm just curious about recent, not 10 years ago experience with them.

Being overseas and having a short deadline to get the stuff shipped means I may not want to hassle my buddy in Macon to drag the stuff to a machine shop and then pray they get it done on time and don't screw something up. He packs out in early March for Germany and if I want the stuff to go with him it has to be ready. I know how machine shops can be, we all do. The promise and then come the day to pack it up and it ain't ready.

I am not convinced the 47 year old stock crank is a better crank just because some guys report failures of offshore cast cranks. I see stuff on the net but much of it is years old. Kind of like saying Craftsman is a great tool, maybe 40 yrs ago. What was is no more...

Old 01-31-2021, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have asked this question of Butler, who seems adamant that the new cast cranks are fine in under 600hp applications. I receny used an eagle cast stroker for a couple years including drag racing in a ~450hp engine no issues. When upgrading to forged for bigger power, the engine shop was happy to purchase the cast crank for another project.

I have not heard of cast crank issues in the past few years, but I am sure there are some horror stories out there- most likely pushed harder than they were intended for.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight